Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2012, 11:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Looking for a decent mid tower

My quest for a mid tower is becoming very taxing and I am starting to get tired of looking. I have spent hours and hours and when I thought I found the case, I also found something I did not like. A run down of the cases I've considered...

Bitfenix Shinobi
Fractal Design Arc MIDI
Corsair 550D
Zalman Z9 Plus
Zalman Z11 Plus

Shinobi, I like it a lot but lacks some features I really think are important and has some features that I dont like. Has a great look and has great support and community (xbournex) but I dont know about the air flow and a freaking fan grill on the window (he's seen me post about this several times, I think hes going to shoot me). I dont like the HD cage facing and no anti vibration on the psu/HD/DVD. Also, no fan controller of any sort. I know its a budget case and can be had for $60 which is awesome but I would rather pay $100 and get a Shinobi MIDI (more on why in the Arc)

Arc MIDI, I like this case a lot and I would buy it but I am frustrated with the company support. I have emailed them 3 times and not a single reply back. I also cant stand the honeycomb look on the top that goes ALL the way to the front and back. I wish they had done something like the Shinobi and stopped half or 3/4th the way. Thats my only gripe about the Arc MIDI..

Corsair 550D is awesome and features everything I love in a case but has a very large entrance fee at $130 plus an extra $20 for some bitfenix fans. Only thing I can think of for this case is the air flow again and a door....I hate doors, plus no side window but I can deal with that since this case is designed for silence, not bling.

Anyhow super long post but I am just looking for some advice I guess, maybe something I havent seen but I need it to be in the $100 field.

PS - If I could design a case, it would be a Arc Midi feature set and front panel with a Shinobi top panel and side window (with no fan grill!)
Old May 15, 2012, 01:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Antec 302?
Old May 15, 2012, 01:10 AM
Manufacturer Rep

With all cases, airflow can easily be attained. It isn't a closed box/system where air is recycled within the system with no transfer of energy. Fans from the front of the case, is pushed. There's vents on the front and the bottom of the front panel. The way the HD's are facing is actually a complement to the front panel's style because if "lack of air" was truly an issue, having side facing HD's will obstruct airflow even more.
I've had my Shinobi window for about 6 months now (When I started, I got one right away). I haven't seen dust build ups inside (It has been sitting on the ground for 5 months). Maybe it's me, but I added red carbon fibre to my side panels, so I don't mind the grills at all.

Our fan controllers launch this week, and even with a fan controller + case combo, you'll still have enough for fans, and then some... (the controllers have LED toggle switches if you're using our LED fans) if your budget was $100.

I've been following your posts, and you've spent a whole deal of time. I applaud you for being so nit picky. It's how awesome builds come together. Unlike the time I went shopping for a car... No test drives, no research.. Just walk to the Toyota dealership, and say "I want that Scion XB." *Sign papers* Drive.

Last edited by xbournex; May 15, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 01:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Of those, the Arc MIDI.

Have you looked at the Fractal R3 or the Core 3000?
Old May 15, 2012, 01:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpendableG4M3R View Post
...plus no side window but I can deal with that since this case is designed for silence, not bling.
I think you missed the window on the 550D, it has one, says in the specs also for 2 x 120 mm or 140 mm fan. Anyway I would go with the Corsair 500R if I would buy a case tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old May 15, 2012, 02:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Lancool PC-K62?

No usb3 though.
Old May 15, 2012, 05:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition White Review
Old May 15, 2012, 07:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

This X2 great case
Old May 15, 2012, 09:19 AM
Manufacturer Rep

I love how there's even more options now.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you don't need a window and want user friendly + cool operation the Raider from Bitfenx is first to my mind. I had reservations at first but its actually a damn decent case.

Shameless self plug of my epicly noob review style below:

SoulTribunals BitFenix Review Thread

Zalman also has the new Z11 on sale right now though that thing looks a little 'far out' even for me but styling and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Beyond that the NZXT Phantom 410 is a little out of your range (though there is a MIR) and comes stoked with lots of options and a 30W fan controller.

Some other options to consider.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com