Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2012, 02:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Cosmos II Ultra - Questions

I been looking into buying this tower for a while now. I am building a new gaming machine and have quite a bit of a budget for it so I am looking into what tower will support my future build for the next 3 years or so. I am a little confused about something, I have come across the regular new Cosmos II Ultra and then there is a RC-1200-KKN1 version. Is this the same tower or something? The only difference I can kind of notice is that the RC-1200-KKN1 version looks more black to me. I couldn't find a comparison on Google so maybe it's the same one I don't know ... NCIX displays both so there should be a difference.

I have also ran into a bit of a problem. The Cosmos II only has 3 Drive bays (not including the 2.5 hot swappable ones) and I need to fit a Dual bay reservoir for my water cooling setup which already takes 2 slots, and yet still need to fit my Blu-ray drive and a 50 watt per channel fan controller which is important considering my 3x 4200 RPM gentle typhoons are extremely loud on my radiator. This pretty much eliminates the option of getting this tower unless I can find an alternative, but for now I am wondering if anyone knows of a 2012 tower that has not yet been released and is going to as bad a$$ looking as the Cosmos II. I currently cant find anything else on the market that satisfies my taste in towers. The TJ11 is comparable but I don't think its worth 600 Dollars, that's over my budget for a case.

I currently own a Corsair 800D (Bored of it) and before that I owned a Lian Li PC-P80. I haven't seen any new full towers from Lian Li which is a shame, I really prefer them for their classy looks and amazing designs. Anyways, I Google'd as much as I could and couldn't find much on upcoming full towers so I thought I would come here and take some suggestions. It really sucks the Cosmos II is not looking like an option anymore, I really liked that case. The only one that I like after that one is the Lian Li PC-A77FB but I'll wait all year if there anything great coming out this year.
Old April 25, 2012, 08:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The model numbers probably mean nothing more than a colour change. If there are no replies here about it try the CM forum or contact them directly.

I can't say anything about the 5.25" bays but I saw one of these on display at Canada Computers and thought HOLY MOLY IS THIS MASSIVE WHAT THE HECK. :D
12gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz
Intel X-25M 80gb Gen2
1x WD Caviar Green 1TB 64m cache
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
Seasonic X-660
Fractal Design R3 + 4x Noctua S12B 120mm
Old April 25, 2012, 01:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Just a thought but if you really want the tower and have a big budget (well I'm assuming from what you've said and hinted at) why not get a separate tube reservoir and pump of choice so you can use your fan controller and drive etc?
Old April 25, 2012, 06:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's an amazing case, but it does have it's oddities considering it's sheer massiveness.

You can remove the hot-swap bays though and mount your fan controller and BD in there. Might need some minor modding, but it shouldn't be too difficult of a job.
Old April 28, 2012, 10:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsv View Post
The model numbers probably mean nothing more than a colour change. If there are no replies here about it try the CM forum or contact them directly.

I can't say anything about the 5.25" bays but I saw one of these on display at Canada Computers and thought HOLY MOLY IS THIS MASSIVE WHAT THE HECK. :D
ahahaha yea it's huge! I have a corsair 800D right now and lifting that thing with all my components and water cooling installed breaks my back. Can't imagine the Cosmos 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
It's an amazing case, but it does have it's oddities considering it's sheer massiveness.

You can remove the hot-swap bays though and mount your fan controller and BD in there. Might need some minor modding, but it shouldn't be too difficult of a job.
Yea I thought about this . . . Don't think I would ever be swapping out SSD's too frequently either so this could possibly work. However, I do like the idea of my RAID SSD's sitting in the dual hot swap tray, I am OCD like that seems like a nice little feature.

The Drive bay is very nice looking though, so I don't know which to sacrifice. If I can't find another tower I'll probably have to make up my mind. (Leaning towards your idea). thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhatPaulie View Post
Just a thought but if you really want the tower and have a big budget (well I'm assuming from what you've said and hinted at) why not get a separate tube reservoir and pump of choice so you can use your fan controller and drive etc?
Yea but I rather not toss things away or try to resell for cheap. I could use the money towards faster or more ram or perhaps other main component upgrades. Rather work with what I have despite my budget not being too much of a concern as long as I am happy with what I get.

Last edited by deinosaur; April 28, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old April 28, 2012, 10:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Another choice would be to use the fan controller that's built into the case. I use it and it works fine, though I don't have any 4200RPM GT's. It's just controlling 1450RPM GT's along with some 1200RPM BitFenix fans.
Old April 28, 2012, 11:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Another choice would be to use the fan controller that's built into the case. I use it and it works fine, though I don't have any 4200RPM GT's. It's just controlling 1450RPM GT's along with some 1200RPM BitFenix fans.
Looking into that right now actually. I would need a fan controller that does 50 Watts per channel. Trying to find the specs on the included fan controller, that would be nice.
Old April 29, 2012, 07:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Why do you need 50W? Are you running some Delta fans too? Those 4200RPM Gentle Typhoons are around 14W, which is likely too much for the built-in fan controller anyways.

I personally don't see why you need 4200RPM fans though. Do you ever run them at full speed? Maybe you should consider buying the 1850RPM models instead.
Old April 29, 2012, 09:12 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

FYI, the dual swap bay rail holes are an oddity. I took it off and put my BR drive on that rail and none of the holes matches my drive.
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old April 29, 2012, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Why do you need 50W? Are you running some Delta fans too? Those 4200RPM Gentle Typhoons are around 14W, which is likely too much for the built-in fan controller anyways.

I personally don't see why you need 4200RPM fans though. Do you ever run them at full speed? Maybe you should consider buying the 1850RPM models instead.
+1. Unless you're running a crazy overclock then 1850RPM GTs will be more than adequate.