Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2012, 03:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Holy generalization Batman!

I won't argue on the fact that I was a complete bitch with the CM guy ... like I wrote on my first post. Nothing will excuse my behavior.
  • Ok so first I am not a kid.
  • Second I never talked about a broken shipped item, nor about a a shipping at cost that was too expensive, nor about a lack of tracking number ... and on that point I personally doesn't care much about tracking my packages.
  • Third, there is no "elsewhere" to buy this thing except for the exceptional situation where a single dude on EBay has 2 to sell. Plus the guy doesn't responds to my emails.

Ok so yeah, like I said before those three points, my behavior is not forgivable. But don't make me (or "us" if your message is also to everyone who supports my situation) take the blame for all your repressed feelings about life and all...

So the next time you want to judge someone, do it on actual facts (like the one that I was a bitch with the guy). For everything else, behave and stay objective.

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work
Old March 30, 2012, 08:40 AM
Top Prospect

i always put myself in the shoes of the guy i am yelling at..

i won't want some guy to yell at me for something i can't obviously change..

if the shipping cost is like $5 and they charge me $20.. i would be upset.. but if that's what they pay, then i will just tell them i don't like it and move on.. not give the poor sap a hard time

-joe
Old March 30, 2012, 09:06 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

They Choose to pay $20, They CHOOSE to make their customers pay $20
Old March 30, 2012, 09:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtktam View Post
you guys will find anything to complain about.. if they ship it in an envelope and it breaks, you would complain.. they pack it in a box and ship it at cost (no profit) and you guys complain it's too expensive.. (even though it's a flow through cost).. if they ship it with regular post, then you complain you can't track it or it gets lost..

the way you gave the customer support guy a hard time wasn't cool.. you could have just left it and bought it elsewhere

-joe
Its not wrong to be reasonable when you charge someone else, If you cant give the customers an options for lets say shipping method, then at least I would have to find a way at least to make it cheap as much as I can without having it to let it cheap where I just toss it in an envelope and send it with no bubbles cover or that stuff!

what you are saying its like CM have two options its either they send way overpriced and secured or very dirt cheap and unsecured!!!!
Old March 30, 2012, 09:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

That is what he says. Reality for CM is that UPS @ 19$ shipping is their lowest possible shipping option from a total of 3 or 4 options if I remember correctly.

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work
Old April 23, 2012, 06:26 AM
Top Prospect

It's a Tariff Tax grab. By charging $20.00 for shipping, it pushes the value of the bought item above the less than $20.00 no Duty charge.

Shipping is considered an item.

Nice little government scam on items that originated from China.

Once again, suckered by your Government.
Old June 19, 2012, 03:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
It's a Tariff Tax grab. By charging $20.00 for shipping, it pushes the value of the bought item above the less than $20.00 no Duty charge.

Shipping is considered an item.

Nice little government scam on items that originated from China.

Once again, suckered by your Government.
Hardly.

You're right that it's a grab, but it's not on the part of the government. UPS sets their prices, not a government agency. And the fees UPS charges for cross-border items has zero relation to the actual government customs fee. I've never had any objection to paying customs on an imported item; our services and health care don't just magically appear out of a vacuum. Many times customs won't hit my USPS-shipped items at all, regardless of the value (I've had packages with a marked value of a few hundred dollars in the past, and they didn't touch them); but when they do, I pay it happily.

But UPS charges exorbitant "brokerage" fees, which are supposedly for their cost of assessing what your customs fee actually is. As an example, I once ordered an item from the US that cost me about $120. The Canadian sales tax rate at that time would have yielded about $18 tax on that, plus a small customs fee of a few dollars; so I may've ended up paying a bit over $20 had the item been sent USPS via Canada Post. UPS tried to bill me for well over $70 to deliver the item, and that was in excess to the $20 or so they'd already been paid for shipping. So apparently it costs $50 to assess that $18 fee... or maybe they're just crooks. The breakdown of who gets what is easily seen on their brokerage invoices; the paltry amount that ends up in the government's hands is insignificant.

So no, it's not the government. Governments may not be perfect, but they're not as prone to cash grabs as greedy corporations.

I agree that Cooler Master needs to offer USPS shipping for their Canadian customers; or just open a small Canadian warehouse that can ship from somewhere within Canada if they get enough orders from this country to justify it. UPS and other couriers simply aren't cost-effective for shipping small and/or cheap items across a border. If you choose any service above their "Ground Shipping", then you won't get any additional fees since brokerage is built-in to the price, but those options are very expensive compared to Ground, and only make sense if your item is large and/or very valuable.

For a handful of small, cheap things? Throw it in a box and give it to USPS. I guarantee that 99% of Canadians won't give a rat's ass if it can be tracked or not.

I do agree it was wrong to give that Customer Service representative a hard time, though. The vast majority of American companies have been totally unaware of UPS practices regarding Ground Shipping on international items until only the last few years, as the Internet has made international orders much more common. If the company as a whole is largely unaware, then someone working the phone or e-mail support lines certainly isn't going to know anything but the little they're told, or be able to change policy. What needs to happen is that these companies need to be convinced to move away from UPS, and couriers in general, for small and cheap orders. The decline in business will put an end to the brokerage fee policies one way or another, even if a courier or two needs to go under for it to happen. And USPS could use more business these days, anyway; I've always been very pleased with USPS customer service.

Last edited by TM2-Megatron; June 19, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old June 19, 2012, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Holy thread necro batman..

On the point of buying an item like this... can't you just get a 2.5 to 3.5 " bracket at any computer store for a few bucks?
Old June 19, 2012, 05:39 PM
Rookie

Well, it's only a couple months.

But yeah, that particular item (unless you're looking for another of the exact same type that came with your case in the first place; and I guess some people would prefer having matching sets for aesthetic reasons) is easy to get at a local shop. But for CM-specific accessories, it can become a problem.

A good reason for the necro, though. I found this thread with a google search and felt the need to point out it was UPS, not customs, that's responsible for the high cost, but I also posted a question about this issue on CM's own forums, and a reply for a CM employee said that they've been working on getting a USPS option for Canadians up in the store, and hopefully it should appear by the end of this month:

Cooler Master Forum • View topic - Question for Canadian CMStore customers regarding shipping