Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2008, 09:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Suggestions on good Case for Coder

Hiya everyone.

I've been helping a friend spec out a system, He's a Linux guru and a coder so he's not going to be gaming but will need the power for those build runs.

He want's a good case with decent air cooling, quality build and I'm recommending one with 2x120mm fans to keep it airy but quiet.

What would you suggest, I like the look of the Gigabyte Poseidon.

The Temijins seem to use 80mm fans which I don't like, but I'd like to get him a budget Aluminum black case if possible.

Old March 25, 2008, 09:40 AM
Top Prospect

The P182 has nice fans (3 speed Antecs) and has great sound dampening.

Old March 25, 2008, 10:22 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I second the P182.
Old March 25, 2008, 10:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks Cardboard and Charlie, We looked at that and then in looking at Antec found the Sonata III review that Skymtl did. Since my pal won't be overclocking (Ahh, perish the thought) and isn't a gamer he's really happy about the included PSU and the fact that Sky liked it was enough for me, aluminum or not. So he's going with the Sonata.

I'm looking at the P182 though... I wonder if I can figure out a way to finance it... LOL...

Old March 25, 2008, 10:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Sonata III case for my work box. They are a nice case, I like the eSata connection on the front panel instead of firewire, but the only problem I have is that the power button is behind the door.

Why do some case manufacturers not figure this out? I don't mind the reset button being hidden but the power button should be exposed somewhere. And there's plenty of room for it on the panel with the connectors and lights.
Old March 25, 2008, 11:37 AM
Top Prospect

You could also look at the Sonata Plus 550
They come with a 550W modular power supply, and a little less expensive then the P182.

Old March 26, 2008, 07:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks Cardboard, I checked that one out. It has me right up until the 2 x 92mm fans in the front, if only they'd gone with 120mm. That hardrive suspension system looks cool though, it's worth considering.

Old March 26, 2008, 07:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by low351 View Post
Thanks Cardboard, I checked that one out. It has me right up until the 2 x 92mm fans in the front, if only they'd gone with 120mm. That hardrive suspension system looks cool though, it's worth considering.
Noctua has some 92mm fans out so you could still have it rather silent.
Old March 26, 2008, 08:59 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

How about a Mac Pro?

What is he going put in this thing? If it is just a basic mainboard and hard drive or two then it does not need that much airflow.

If he is not going to be in and out of it all the time and it will just sit under his desk then I would suggest you go cheap. What is the point in getting someting nice if no one is ever going to look at it? Go to you local computer store and look at the discount models. Lots of them are decently built with good ventilation and not too much bling.

InWin makes very good basic cases. Here is the first one I googled that loks decent. Beige In Win Mid Tower ATX Computer Case IW-J619T2.J350L 12cm Fan InWin Middle Tower PC Chassis-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com
Old March 26, 2008, 03:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ahhhh my eyes! my eyes! Beige... beige he shows me... LOL. Seriously now, the case looks good, it's just missing the black which it does come in and that looks pretty good, that's some funky looking drive cage though...

Cardboard, I found your review of the Poseidon. Good review, if I'd seen it first I would have pushed harder for it but he's sold on the Sonata now. Why didn't you suggest it? Did you find some hidden problems post review?

jdrom, I didn't know noctua made 92s I've only ever seen those chocolat 120s, thanks for letting me know about them. I'd reconsider the Sonata plus with noctuas in front, again that drive suspension thingy looks intriguing.