Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26, 2012, 06:18 PM
Allstar

It's a bit closer to a server than a basic NAS but we just finished building one in an Antec Three Hundred. A bit more utilitarian but it depends on your needs obviously.
Old March 26, 2012, 07:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

While I wouldn't mind getting a regular chassis for this, I would certainly prefer something in a smaller package. This thing will essentially only be containing the mobo, the PSU, and the drives, and only have 2 cables plugged in. I guess minimalism is the name of the game. With that said, if i'm going to want to kill someone after trying to wire up 5 drives and a shitty un-sleeved, non-modular PSU into a tiny crammed case, then I will not hesitate to get a slightly larger case.
Old March 27, 2012, 05:37 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
While I wouldn't mind getting a regular chassis for this, I would certainly prefer something in a smaller package. This thing will essentially only be containing the mobo, the PSU, and the drives, and only have 2 cables plugged in. I guess minimalism is the name of the game. With that said, if i'm going to want to kill someone after trying to wire up 5 drives and a shitty un-sleeved, non-modular PSU into a tiny crammed case, then I will not hesitate to get a slightly larger case.
Most of the ITX-oriented offerings will provide at least a minor headache when it comes to wire-management (especially if you are using an ATX non-modular PSU) as that is just the name of the game with SFF cases. That being said, as long as you're not planning a window mod, just stuff everything in there as best you can and don't look back. Most of the cases posted offer fairly decent airflow considering the amount of heat that will be generated by an ITX board without a video card in there.
Old March 27, 2012, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

a server U3 rack case and painted U4 just a thought, no skined knuckles building with them.

note smaller case has less air to breathe hardware runs hotter

Last edited by KaptCrunch; March 27, 2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old March 27, 2012, 02:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post

note smaller case has less air to breathe hardware runs hotter
Shouldn't be an issue for running a NAS.
Old March 27, 2012, 11:27 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
So i'm slowly piecing a FREENAS box together. I'm about to pull the trigger on an MSI E-350 cpu/board combo, i've got ram and an old 300 watt power supply at home and the disks will be bought shortly after. The only thing remaining is the case at this point.

It needs to fit the above ITX board, a standard ATX power supply (I may be willing to purchase a case with a smaller form factor PSU), and ATLEAST 3+ drives.

Any suggestions people? I've been looking at the Fractal Array case but it's $170 for a case and power supply and I feel like I could save some money going another route.
Prodigy
ITX - Check
Standard ATX PSU -Check
3+ drives - Check.

Last edited by xbournex; July 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old March 28, 2012, 06:18 AM
Top Prospect

if the drives are ran 24/7 and there is let's say 8-10 hours usage, you might want to get a bigger case..

heat kills drives

-joe
Old July 12, 2012, 01:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

+1 for the Lian-Li PC-Q25B but my vote goes for a dedicated NAS. I have 2 Qnaps at home and they're amazing.
Old July 12, 2012, 07:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philth View Post
Best looking IMHO: Lian Li PC-Q25

Up there in the price spectrum, but still cheaper than that Array.
dang beat me to it, i'm planning to get this myself.

hmm the silverstone OP posted aint bad either.