Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   Triple (120mm) Threat - Antec 900 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/4964-triple-120mm-threat-antec-900-a.html)

Mr. Cipher March 8, 2008 12:43 PM

Triple (120mm) Threat - Antec 900

I wanted to get some feedback on the feasibility of this project, since I have never done any case mods before:

I was thinking of buying a 3rd HD bay from Antec and sticking it into my 900 case so I would have 3 120mm fans as intake fans, blowing some fresh cool air over my hardware.

That's the easy part.

The problem is that I only have 9 5.25" bays, and each HD bay is 3 bays high, leaving me no room for a DVD drive. Do any of you know if it would be possible to somehow mod the case so I could still have a DVD drive anywhere?

Every mod I have found is the run-of-the-mill "I took a dremel and made holes for cable mgmt" mod, which I will do but is not hard to perform when you measure twice and cut once. I have not found anything else for this case.

Ideas are very, very welcome. :biggrin:

ebdoradz March 8, 2008 01:05 PM

hmmm also had the same trouble with my thermaltake armor, wanted to h ave 3 120mm fan in front but only pus 2 of them because i need a place for a dvd burner, fan controler and floppy

since the PSU in at the bottom of the case, you want to have fresh air on your mobo/cpu/video card and all, why dont you pus the dvd drive at the uttom and mount the fan in the top front of it with your hdd the lowest possible in the hdd cage. that why you will have more fresh air on the mobo and less on the psu

Cptn Vortex March 8, 2008 02:08 PM

I think the only thing you can do is get an external 5.25" enclosure and use your DVD drive by firewire or USB

Scart March 8, 2008 02:59 PM

Here's a mod where a guy put a slim laptop dvd drive in the very bottom:

Antec 900 Case Mod Complete, 3 Front 120's With A Laptop DVD Drive and MORE! 50+ Pics - EXTREME Overclocking Forums

b1lk1 March 8, 2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scart (Post 44914)

You read my mind, LOL!!!!!

Mr. Cipher March 8, 2008 03:11 PM

Whoa, thanks for finding that Scart!

I am going to have to figure how he did that. Well, I guess this will change into my worklog once I get started...

Scart March 8, 2008 08:50 PM

I think he just cut a hole in the plastic and put some foam pads under the drive to elevate it to the right level. Pretty impressive and looks awesome.

Empty_Quarter March 8, 2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scart (Post 44914)

I was just about to post that as well till I read that :bleh:

Yeah, using a slim drive on the bottom of the case is a pretty common mod in the 900 realm.

CasheKicker March 9, 2008 05:49 AM

Wow,that looks pretty good.

Not an option for me I am afraid as I need a 3.5" floppy as well and will also be installing a fan controller. I just have my outer fans in the lower two bays with the extra 3rd on the inside of the middle bay.

frosty March 9, 2008 06:08 AM

couuldnt you use an external???

Also.. im not sure if this is the same link as above, here you can find alot of options.... 1 guy has a mini dvd drive at the bottom of the case which he modded.... pretty cool..... not sure what page its on, but its enjoyable reading through it all......

A Positive Look at the Antec Nine Hundred (900) Case - XtremeSystems Forums

FOUND IT FOR YOU TOO SAVE TIME....
PAGE 5 AT THE BOTTOM..........