Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2011, 04:09 PM
Rookie

Default Thermaltake VN300M1W2N Chaser MK-I Full Tower Case No PSU Comment Thread

Hi everybody,

I would just like to hear your thoughts about this particular, the good, the bad, is this case worth it etc if you are a current owner of one thats even better.

Thanks, Steve

Last edited by steve.gt; December 28, 2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old December 1, 2011, 04:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hey,

I've owned the case since not long after it was released. While I would have liked to have stayed with Antec, they never offered me precisely what I was looking for in the same price range, though that my have changed with the release of the 1100.

Coming from an antec 900, I was primarily looking for:

Excellent cable management
Hard drive cage that didn't face the inside of the case (900 users know what I'm talking about)
Dust filters

I could have gone the HAF-X route, but didn't feel like spending $200 on a case, and I'm not all that fond of the heavily industrialized look.

That being said, I know the way the Chaser is styled is either a take it or leave it situation. For me, I happend to love the way the case looked. This will not be the case for everyone.

Admittedly, the Chaser was something like $20 more than I wanted to spend, but I rationalized it and went ahead with it.

I know in the past people have ragged on Thermaltake for their build quality, but if there are any issues, they are unkown to me, and by all accounts it seems to have been settled in the way this thing was built.

The Good:
1. Excellent cable management and air flow. This thing is an absolute dream to build in. So many grommets and options, you'll wonder how you ever managed before. This is literally cable management for dummies.

2. Dust filters actually work. I clean mine out (not often as I should) but I am suprised at the amount of dust collected on these things. This is such a huge improvement over the no dust filters from my Antec 900. You get dust filters in the front intake and the bottom intake for the PSU, as well as the VGA cooler (though this one is a bit of a pain to clean). Everything else is exhaust, and I can honestly say there is very little dust inside my system for a room that doesn't get vaccuumed as much as it should.

3. Side headphone holder latch is very durable. My case is on the floor next to me and sometimes when I rotate it pops off. I've had it pop off more times than I care to count and it keeps coming back for more.

4. Built in fan controller for the stock front intake and (1) top exhaust. Maybe this should be a con for me because I like to use my own fan controller, but it is a nice bonus for people that don't have one. The fans are very quiet even at the 'high' setting.

5. USB 3.0 doesn't have to extend around the back for use. This was a big thing for me as at the time many cases had to go around the back with an extension cord to make use of 3.0

6. Case is mostly metal, minus the front grill and top fan covers which are plastic (both detatchable)

7. Lots of options for fans. Comes with 2x200mm fans, 1 for front intake and 1 for rear exhaust. These fans are also capable of doing a little light show if you want and you have to option to select which colors you'd like them to emit (blue, red, green, rotating brg, alternating brg, none) and 1 exhaust 120mm (or is it 140, i can't remember.) You also have the option of installing a 2nd exhaust fan on top that sizes from 120-200mm depending on what you decide, as well as a 200mm VGA cooler. Also, you can add another 120mm on the floor of the case for additional intake.

8. The case is elevated on rotatable feet which is pretty cool and handy for those that plan on keeping the case on the floor. For maximum stability you can rotate the feet out, but I just keep mine tucked in.

9. The entire case is tooless via thumbscrews minus the power supply and mobo installation, of course.

10. Comes with a built in HDD dock if you want to make use of it (since I'm running out of SATA ports I'm not at the moment)

The Bad:
1. The looks aren't for everyone

2. A lot of people don't like the way the removable front bay covers look with the blue accents ( I wouldn't have minded straight black ones myself but minor complaint)

3. The stock 200mm fans it comes with (aka TT colorshift) are required to be connected to the stock fan controller otherwise you have no other way of controlling the colors.

4. Wish they gave me more fans, but then costs would be up so whatever. Coolermaster megaflow 200mms fit just fine since TT colorshift 200mm aren't available for whatever reason.

Other than that I don't have any complaints whatsoever with the case. Initially it was a around $20 more than I wanted to spend, but considering the features it had vs the others in the same price range, this was a no brainer.

Knowing what I know now, I would still go with the same case (although the Antec 1100 might give me a pause ) because you just get so much. If the looks appeal to you, I dont' think there is honestly a better case out there in the same price range. I was skeptical of TT at first due to the negative reviews that had been garnering in recent years, but this case has made me a TT fan, and I think I will be using it for many many years.

I always try to recommend this case on these boards wherever I can because it's just awesome.

Some people say, yeah this case is for 14 year old gamers with the way it looks (I guess it does look a bit Transformerish) but whatever I'm a 27 year old who loves it lol.

tl;dr ?

It's an awesome case and any negative points are very, very minimal and are outweighed by the positives. You have to like the way it looks though, otherwise it's not for you. An alternative might be the Antec 1100 (much plainer looking) but from what I can tell offers a lot of the same features.

Enjoy!
Old December 28, 2011, 09:05 PM
Rookie

Thank you very much for your detailed post. I shall consider the points you have raised when deciding on which case to get.

Cheers Steve