Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2008, 11:06 PM
Rookie

Question Looking for a M-ATX case with liquid cooling and mod-ability

I have been reading up on the Silverstone SG03 recently, and had a cool idea for a case mod. Make it look like a "Blackbox" Cockpit Data Recorder. Basically orange, with white stripes, warning signs, and big steel handles. It could work, but the case is not very watercooling friendly (I have the Swiftech h20-220 compact), so I would have to hang the 240 rad off the back, which is not ideal.

I like the looks of the Mini p180 case, but information/reviews have proven elusive. And I prefer to know about something before I buy it. I'm not sure what theme I would go with, any ideas.

The idea would be a small, yet potent machine to sit on the desk at home, yet be able to take it around to mate's places/LANs without needing to see a chiropractor afterwards (I currently have a fully loaded CM690, not lugging that thing to a LAN again )

So, any cases/mod ideas would be welcome!

Cheers,
Nate
Old March 5, 2008, 12:09 AM
Rookie

Check out the NZXT Rouge or the Antec NSK2400. I think the Antec NSK2400 would be able to have an external 240 rad on the side of the case with the fans mounted inside. It looks like there would be room for a small pump at the front of the case. The only problem I can think of is how to remove the cover of the case with the radiator attached, I guess you could cut a opening the size of the radiator in the cover and attach the radiator to the frame of the case so the cover slides over the radiator. Hate to say it but I don't think your going to find any mATX case that will do an internal WC system without some modding.

The NZXT Rouge will defiantly be able to have a 120 radiator mounted on the rear of the case, a PA120.1 might be enough depending on what is in your loop. The Rouge may also be able to house a 240 radiator internally on the side with some modding.

Those are just two ideas I've been floating around, I'm sure there are many other cases out there that would work for you depending on how much your willing to do some modifications like cutting the case and how much internal space your will to sacrifice.
Old March 5, 2008, 02:00 AM
Rookie

Well, as for the loop, for now it is only my CPU (either E8400, or the new 45nm mid-range Quad Cores, when they arrive here in Oz). I chose a 240 rad so I could run the fans almost silent and still get good cooling (noise is a big factor for me).

I haven't really read much of the Rogue, but it seems interesting, will look into it some more tonight. I just dug up some measurements for the Sugo Sg03, if I forego an optical drive (no biggie, just use an external enclosure), I could mount my 240 rad+fans in the top of the case, just need to dremel some slats and mounting holes.
Old March 5, 2008, 04:24 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Which VGA do you have btw (It matters in reference to LCing the SG-03)

The SG-03 is actually quite a good LC case, here is a project I had going on a couple of months ago:

The Rad/Res was able to fit, but the dual Rad/Res WILL NOT FIT unless some mods are done, note how close the rad fins are to the GPU connector)

However, you could get the H20-240 (without res) and it is possible to completely WC internally the SG-03 with it, I say this due to a log I saw on XS a while ago:

SFF: Doggy Style - XtremeSystems Forums

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old March 6, 2008, 03:12 AM
Rookie

*drool*

Ahh, too bad, I can't claim to be original on this one, but it will still be a kick-ass little system either way, and good for dragging around to LANs as well. Sweet!

And, out of curiosity, I've been looking at the other end of the spectrum, Full Tower Cases, Baby! Particularily liking the Silverstone Tj07. That thing is hot

>> Empty_Quarter:
I have a Gainward Golden Sample 8800GT OC. Gotta love the cooler on that thing, quiet and all, but it may be just a smidgin large to shoehorn in with a great big Rad behind it. Will try and get some dimensions tonight.

Thanks for the help so far!