Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2011, 12:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Tech Bench?

Hi folks,

Originally I made this thread to ask about the Thermaltake Level 10 GT however, after some consideration and realizing I may not necessarily require yet another computer case to take up space.

I edited this thread, and now am just seeking info from the more tech savvy among you who are in the know about Tech Benches.

I am taking a more serious look into overclocking & more over, dry ice & LN2 cooling among that.

Would it be better to build my own?

Or would it be better to purchase a pre-made unit?
If pre-made is the way to go, do you have any suggestions as to what brand to go with?

Where do I start? what do I need to do?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice you can offer.

Cheers

Last edited by Grampa; November 28, 2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old November 28, 2011, 06:18 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

You could build your own but I'd still suggest a Highspeed PC tech station. They are inexpensive and have met my needs for the last 6 years.
Old November 28, 2011, 06:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I also have a Highspeed PC Tech Station and I've got to say they are rather good quality for how much you pay for them. That said if I had the tools and workspace I would build myself one, as its relatively straight forward for the most part (if you're half handy with tools).
Old November 28, 2011, 07:06 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I love my Highspeed PC Tech Station with the exception or trying to keep my watercooling all in place. :P
Old November 28, 2011, 07:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

This is the one I own and its great. if you like OCing and swapping out parts quick this is the way to go.
NCIX.com - Buy Highspeed PC XL-ATX TOP Deck Tech Station FAST-ACCESS Computer Case Black - HighSpeed PC - TD_TechStation_XL - in Canada
Old November 28, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I currently have my ATX HSPC tech station with 2 systems on it. One on the top and the 2nd on the botom. Its awesome for swapping out parts and having 2 systems in such a small space is great.
Old November 28, 2011, 08:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Dimastech has the best tech stations IMO. I have a Highspeed as well but compared to the Dimastech the Highspeed is primitive.

Extreme Cooling Solutions & Technologies

Here the two are for comparison purposes.

Install thread: Dimastech bench station
Old November 28, 2011, 08:55 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Dimastech may be great but it also costs ~$200 once everything is said and done, no?
Old November 28, 2011, 09:22 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes, $50 more than the Highspeed XL pictured above and the $200 includes shipping. Dimastech is made from machined steel, you can get any color you want, fully customizable layout.

Highspeed is two pieces of pressboard held together by screws and 4 metal legs. There isnt enough clearance to use a backplate on your CPU cooler and the board and components dont attach to the station. You have to modify the station with washers and longer screws to fit an aftermarket cooler.

Not even in the same ballpark IMO.
Old November 28, 2011, 09:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know what kind of after market cooler you are using Eld, but all the after market coolers I have been using had no issues with clearance whatsoever. I did have to move one of the rubber supports that was too close to my default 1366 back plate but that was about it.

Though would I go to something like this over what I have, hell I would, for the price I'm a little more leery. I suppose if I want to go into water cooling at some point in the future (year or two) it'll probably be in a case rather then a tech bench.