Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2011, 05:35 PM
Rookie

Default New mid tower case suggestions!

Hey everyone, big fan of Hardware Canucks, just never had a reason to register until now.

I built my PC back in 2009 and got an Antec 900, which I've loved since I bought. However, going on nearly 3 years of use, I'm ready for something new, and I'm wanting to get something with better cooling than what I get ATM.

I had waited for a long time for the Antec 1100 reviews, and just read them and was sorely disappointed with what I found. So basically I'm here looking for suggestions. I've been thinking about Corsair but I'm just not totally sure what I need for my requirements.

I'd rather not spend over 200 but would be willing to if need be. I probably won't be water cooling, except for the CPU with a corsair hxxx cooler. Sound isn't really an issue for me as my current system sounds like a jet, and I'm so used to it that I feel uncomfortable when it's turned off. I don't need anything larger than a mid size tower and aesthetics aren't HUGE for me, but a better looking case is preferable. Build material quality is extremely important to me, I can't stand working with stuff that feels and looks cheap.

So to sum it up:

- High quality build
- Air cooled for most part
- Aesthetics mildly important
- Mid size tower
- Brand doesn't really matter

Thanks for taking the time to read :)
Old November 23, 2011, 09:14 PM
Rookie

I had the same question and i solved it but here were my choices

Corsair 500r ~120$ black or ~135$ white
Dimensions : 20.5” x 8.1” x 20”
great air cooling and supports H***

CM HAF 932 ~160$
Dimensions : 22.70" x 9.00" x 21.50"
great air cooling and supports H***, looks is love/hate but i personally love it

CM storm trooper ~200$
Dimensions : 23.8" x 9.8" x 22.8" a little bigger but honestly its just epic
Everything u want including the kitchen sink with heated water!!!
great reviews from newegg, and from Tom on Overclock3D :: Review :: CM Storm Trooper Review :: CM Storm Trooper Review

the trooper sold me and thats what ill be using.

there are many more cases but this is what i found to be the cream of the crop for air/water hybrid in the "mid sized" cases

good luck
Old November 24, 2011, 01:18 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply.

I love the Storm Trooper case also. I think the only complaint I can find with it is that I really like windows =/ But the case is amazing.

I'm also considering the Thermaltake Level 10 GT...

Not sure which I want =/
Old November 24, 2011, 03:01 AM
MVP

pretty sure the trooper fits into the full tower division...still a good case tho (just overpriced imo).

take a look at the lancool pc-k62 and the silverstone rv02/03 too maybe?
Old November 24, 2011, 06:11 AM
Rookie

Ok if ur thinking of getting the Lv 10... your kicking the idea of mid tower out the window of a 10 story high building... oh and price... but on the positive side it looks sick!!

if your thinking of that case id go with white
Newegg.ca - Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition (VN10006W2N) White and Black SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Four Fans-1x 200mm Colorshift side fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift top fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift front fan and 1x 140mm

or if not..
Newegg.ca - Thermaltake Level 10 GT (VN10001W2N) Black Steel SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Four Fans-1x 200mm Colorshift side fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift top fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift front fan and 1x 140mm rear fan

good case but no where near a mid tower...

EDIT: ... i just realised they made a GT version of the Lv 10 ... smaller and more compact but still lets say bigger then the CM storm trooper

Last edited by bladehawk256; November 24, 2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old November 24, 2011, 06:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The only really good mid towers with a window that i like are:

Antec eleven hundred <200 (can't find a solid msrp cuz i'm lazy)
Obsidian 650D: MSRP 199.99
Graphite 600T: MSRP 159.99

Then there's a couple by thermaltake that I don't think are quite as good as the corsair nor the antec eleven hundred:

Armor + MX: MSRP 139.99
Soprano RS 101: MRSP 82.99

I hope this helps!
Old November 24, 2011, 09:20 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply guys.

Actually you can get the Level 10 GT for 199 on Tigerdirect, free shipping, no tax! So I can get it just in my price range!

You guys are right though, I'm kind of exiting the realm of mid tower range by looking at both of these cases =/ I was really looking forward to the Antec 1100, but I'm not really impressed with it now that it's finally out... As far as Corsair, I was a huge fan of their cases until I started reading how their cooling performance measured up to other cases that were even much cheaper. I have read that they are outstanding for water cooling, but I don't really plan on water cooling.

However, I still reeeeally love the Obsidian 650D.

UGH SO TORN ON WHAT TO GET =/

Thanks again for the replies!
Old November 24, 2011, 09:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

to me buying a case is like buying a car haha. SO many things to think about and compare. I ended up choosing the Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 but that is not a mid tower by any stretch of the imagination.
Old November 24, 2011, 10:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

My two honest suggestions would be:

Armor A90 - The cooling capabilities of the case are good, coupled with Yateloons it is ultra silent and very cool. My 580 Doesn't break 65 maxed out, nor does my X6 even sweat. Idles at 24, loads full at 36 range (again all this varies depending on my house ambient).

MY only real complaint about the A90 is thinner than normal side panels which do have flex in them if you put pressure on the (excessively). But really, your case is to sit so it really is a non issue.
Plus there is a little bit of force needed to get the damn side panel on. But that makes for a nice secure tight fit. The front door (which is usually a weak point on cases) is very strong and solid on its hinges. A very nice touch.

Coolermaster Storm Scout - I honestly regret ever selling this case. I did to move on to bigger and better cases...and well I really miss it for hauling my gear around to my cousins house. It does have small issues with big big cards (I highly doubt my 580 would fit in it, but I could be wrong) I know when I had my 275 from EVGa it was TIGHT, but fit.
It does however keep your hardware VERY cool, and the entire case metal + plastic and all is very soild and well constructed. This is a case I want to buy again before they don't make them anymore.
I love it.

Somethings to think of at least. Both Cases have Full Front Filters, but no side filters.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com