Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2011, 09:33 PM
Top Prospect

Default Corsair Carbide 500R vs NZXT Phantom?

Which one should i go for? 500R or the NZXT Phantom? 500R doesn't support E-ATX but Phantom does. But for now i'm going for a ATX board but in future like in 3years would there be better boards in ATX factor or E-ATX?
Old November 22, 2011, 12:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I think it comes down to you as a user.

I have a Raven 3 and love it, so much room, and very effective cooling.

I think the Phantom does look cool, but I never did like front doors, none of them usually help in cooling, they usually deaden sound, but cooling suffers, not to mention, most of the doors tend to use crappy magnets that break, or hinges that wear out to fast.

500R on the other hand is apprently an excellent case, lots of room, good wiring managment and very good cooling.

Another one to look at, Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra, or Xigmatech Midgard II, both have some very positive reviews.

Myself I would go with what you need first and foremost, dont look at something that "may" happen a few years from now. Just as an FYI, all the XL-ATX WATX and EATX boards that I have seen are meant for insanely high end builds, for folks that have lots of extra cash, and are planning on getting the best you can at a given time. Like quad gpu, dual cpu and the like, for these I would be concerned about getting a huge full tower, something like a mountain mods case of something :)

For most of the other folks a good ATX motherboard, with a good case that offers enough room for a high end single or dual gpu card, od dual gpus, is more then enough, even with the most demanding games, always has been(well more or less :P)

Get the best you can for your budget, thats all the advice I can give, my vote is on the 500R, corsair makes excellent products, they have for years, NZXT really does as well, although I have heard many times with the Phantom having various issues with front panel connections, hinges and such breaking, even some of the standoffs not being very secure, I would do some reviews for yourself, theres lots out there :)
Old November 22, 2011, 08:14 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks Dragon i think i will go for 500R :)
Old November 23, 2011, 07:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

They're about the same price but I'd def go 500R.
12gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz
Intel X-25M 80gb Gen2
1x WD Caviar Green 1TB 64m cache
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
Seasonic X-660
Fractal Design R3 + 4x Noctua S12B 120mm
Old November 23, 2011, 03:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just picked up a 500R as well and I can highly recommend this case as well. So many great features and options at a smaller footprint. Definitely wait for a sale price on the case for an even better value. I think I saw it on sale right now at Newegg for $89 after MIR.

Newegg.ca - Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Old November 24, 2011, 06:00 AM
Top Prospect

Awesome :D

Tags
case , cases , motherboards