Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
Banned

Default Cheap case and heat sink?

I am putting a new HDD in my system and I am sadly recalling how horrible it is to use my case, an Antec 300!

Actually, I can't stand it!!!

The other annoyance is the heat sink that is really sharp... I have to be soooooooo careful...but, it's hard to connect anything.... gotta watch my hands/fingers! Don't want to jinx myself so....

Another one is the setup or arrangment of the Power ATX connectors and they are in the way of the fans....

The entire design just sucks so I'd like to sell my LGA775 setup ... was originally going to sell the main components, cpu, memory and mobo but I might try to sell it all.... LOL!

If so, I need help with advice for a new case. Also, this might be a strange question but is the CM 212 heat sink everyone recommends a good design? Does it have sharp edges?

I would like a decent case and cheaper the better but what is the best for cable management and for working in?

Last but least, does it matter what size of mobo I get.... ATX or mATX? I'll get whatever is easiest.

I have been doing some cases/systems for some ppl but not many. However, for myself, I want something that is the least hassle and that I don't have to worry about cutting myself each time I need to move something around the heat sink!

Is there a particular brand/model of case that is good and doesn't change much? I'm not sure when I'll buy it... I might have to buy components gradually... meaning cpu/RAM then mobo then case.... you know what I mean?

Anyway, I know I should google/research but I'd like some ideas/opinions if anyone can provide????

Thanks! I never used to be so picky about a case before but I've had enough!!!!!!! lol!

Edit: no real budget but probably not worth suggesting $200+ cases unless you really think it's something I'd particularly want. It makes the overall budget harder. Although, I'm interested in any suggestions. Also, does it matter if it's an full tower ATX case or mid-tower?
Old October 28, 2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

I'd like my case to look somewhat like that....

What case is the best for wire management? - [H]ard|Forum

I was thinking of maybe the HAF 932 Advanced...

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62

Anything else? I'd prefer that you can take the heat sink off/on without having to take the mobo out, too. :)
Old October 30, 2011, 02:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Armor A90, NZXT Tempest 410 Elite.

I would opt for those as my first two choices,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 30, 2011, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HAF912.

It is extremely difficult to add additional hard drives to an Antec 300 after you assemble the damn thing because EVERYTHING is in the way.. /rant

As for form factor, it really depends what that PC is for and what functions you need. I prefer ATX because there are just WAY more expansion slot to fill :D

As for CPU coolers, I've tried OCZ Vendetta and Sunbeam Core Contact. Both of them don't require you to remove your mobo which is a plus. However, both of these heatsinks are EOL (I believe). I think somebody is selling their Core Contact tho...

-Plato
Old October 30, 2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Armor A90, NZXT Tempest 410 Elite.

I would opt for those as my first two choices,

ST
The NZXT Tempest 410 Elite looks interesting. I don't like the look of the Armor A90, though. It looks like there's no design for cable management and I won't be drilling unless I have to. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
HAF912.

It is extremely difficult to add additional hard drives to an Antec 300 after you assemble the damn thing because EVERYTHING is in the way.. /rant

As for form factor, it really depends what that PC is for and what functions you need. I prefer ATX because there are just WAY more expansion slot to fill :D

As for CPU coolers, I've tried OCZ Vendetta and Sunbeam Core Contact. Both of them don't require you to remove your mobo which is a plus. However, both of these heatsinks are EOL (I believe). I think somebody is selling their Core Contact tho...
I find it extremely difficult doing anything with the 300. :)

I was actually looking at full towers just to get more room.

Is there any CPU coolers that don't require removing the mobo that aren't EOL, though? :)

I guess if I'm starting from scratch (i.e. new system, cpu/ram/case etc), it's not essential and is more or less, 'nice to have' options. Not sure why these manufacturers don't make this more flexible (cooler and cases should have the option - the cutouts of the case where the mobo goes should be bigger, I think. Or at least cover enough space for most coolers.)

I'm not taking the box to LAN parties so I guess I can deal with a heavy weight and I have a table it should fit on. Looks or exterior appearance isn't as important as functionality/design inside and flexible for working in. Cable Management is also VERY important...

I have other cases at home I'd like $20 or something... but, maybe I should list for $10 each? I don't want any cheap (small) cases anymore. :) However, all these aren't mine... I just collected them but now want to sell or get rid of 'em! :)

I hope I can sell the 300 as a system or it'll be another one..... :-/
Old October 30, 2011, 04:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
The NZXT Tempest 410 Elite looks interesting. I don't like the look of the Armor A90, though. It looks like there's no design for cable management and I won't be drilling unless I have to. :)

I find it extremely difficult doing anything with the 300. :)

I was actually looking at full towers just to get more room.

Is there any CPU coolers that don't require removing the mobo that aren't EOL, though? :)

I guess if I'm starting from scratch (i.e. new system, cpu/ram/case etc), it's not essential and is more or less, 'nice to have' options. Not sure why these manufacturers don't make this more flexible (cooler and cases should have the option - the cutouts of the case where the mobo goes should be bigger, I think. Or at least cover enough space for most coolers.)

I'm not taking the box to LAN parties so I guess I can deal with a heavy weight and I have a table it should fit on. Looks or exterior appearance isn't as important as functionality/design inside and flexible for working in. Cable Management is also VERY important...

I have other cases at home I'd like $20 or something... but, maybe I should list for $10 each? I don't want any cheap (small) cases anymore. :) However, all these aren't mine... I just collected them but now want to sell or get rid of 'em! :)

I hope I can sell the 300 as a system or it'll be another one..... :-/
THe outside look is the eye of the beholder, if you don't like its look thats entirelly understandable. I personally love it. As for cable management? It has tons of options. I love mine.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 30, 2011, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For cheap cases that actually look good, offer decent cooling ability and have good cable management I would recommend taking a look at a lot of the Rosewill cases on newegg. Most if not all of them are painted black on the inside, house a few fans, some even house up to seven, and they actually look decend and can get models with all of this for ~50-70.

Here is one in particular which is very nice for the price.

Rosewill CHALLENGER

I just went back and read the whole thread not just your post. I'm like you and quite picky with the cases. Sadly of all parts it's the one I spent most time researching and looking at. I looked at practically every frickin case on newegg and weeding through them all. If you don't mind spending a decent amount I would seriously look into the Corsair 400r for ~100 or any of the other Corsair Cases. They are stylish, have great cooling options, expandability, AMAZING cable management, and are painted black on the inside and are of good corsair quality. I'm pretty sure they even all have usb 3.0.

hth, cheers.

P.s. If you are in Canada I would try to order your case from NCIX as opposed to Newegg(I have ordered from both). Not only will it ship faster but much less for delivery charges. They had some deal on recently and I only paid $5 shipping for my new Fractal Design Define Mini.
Old October 30, 2011, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hows about the fractal design core 3000. Its a very compact atx case and quite inexpensive. I think I got mine for 60 buck at ncix. Cable management is not too bad in it. No cutout for the 8 pin cpu connector so you just have to be creative.
Old October 30, 2011, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
THe outside look is the eye of the beholder, if you don't like its look thats entirelly understandable. I personally love it. As for cable management? It has tons of options. I love mine.

-ST
Actually, it was the inside of the case I wasn't enthused with. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
For cheap cases that actually look good, offer decent cooling ability and have good cable management I would recommend taking a look at a lot of the Rosewill cases on newegg. Most if not all of them are painted black on the inside, house a few fans, some even house up to seven, and they actually look decend and can get models with all of this for ~50-70.

Here is one in particular which is very nice for the price.

Rosewill CHALLENGER

I just went back and read the whole thread not just your post. I'm like you and quite picky with the cases. Sadly of all parts it's the one I spent most time researching and looking at. I looked at practically every frickin case on newegg and weeding through them all. If you don't mind spending a decent amount I would seriously look into the Corsair 400r for ~100 or any of the other Corsair Cases. They are stylish, have great cooling options, expandability, AMAZING cable management, and are painted black on the inside and are of good corsair quality. I'm pretty sure they even all have usb 3.0.

hth, cheers.

P.s. If you are in Canada I would try to order your case from NCIX as opposed to Newegg(I have ordered from both). Not only will it ship faster but much less for delivery charges. They had some deal on recently and I only paid $5 shipping for my new Fractal Design Define Mini.
Oh, I probably would have to or go with someone who ships for free since the case will most likely be over $50! Is it me or does newegg charge $45 for some of their cases?

That might be an amount I would need to get a certain case!

At least that Rosewill case is only $10 shipping.

I'll look into the Corsair but the 'cheaper' cases are all mid-towers.

I like the 800D or at least the look of it (inside) but I'm not paying $300 for a case!

Most likely, the budget will force one to come back to reality and I'll look at the cheap ones again. But, I don't want to regret my decision because I cheapened out. That's what happened with the 300. :)

P.S. Yes, I will be researching cases since there's so many and it's difficult to get a good idea from just the pictures. But, it sure isn't the most interesting component to research! :) I hope I can get some good insight from opinions and any anecdotes on the cases!

Dumb question?: Does it matter where the mobo slots are or, say, the ATX connectors on the mobo? I guess if the case has holes for cable management, any mobo will work sufficiently? I mean, there will be a hole that accommodates any mobo/connector location?
Old October 31, 2011, 12:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You don't need a full tower. Or do you? LOL. Do you? My brother tried to convince me to get a full tower when I was selecting my parts. His attitude was the bigger the better (he was born in USA LOL). Look at my case in this thread. Despite being a mid tower it has TONS of room. I could fit a 240mm rad and some fans in the top, the side has tons of room for cable management. I can fit 3rd video card if I wanted to and there is still lots of room. I removed one of the HDD cages just for better airflow.

Case Pics

All Mid tower and full tower and mATX cases are different sizes. It's just like a nike size 9 is different from an adidas size 9 shoe or shirt or pants whatever(ime at least). They are not all the exact same and have lots of variation in height width or length. Newegg has a really good feature with lots of pictures at all angles of their cases, with the dimensions posted. You should be able to size up the cases quite well with that.

I might sound like a corsair fanboy but personally I feel they have the best cases. If they had an mATX case I would have went with them instead of Fractal Design for mATX.

And yes it does matter where the standoffs for your motherboard go, but I believe most cases that support a standard ATX will also give you the option to mount mATX.