Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2011, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
You don't need a full tower. Or do you? LOL. Do you? My brother tried to convince me to get a full tower when I was selecting my parts. His attitude was the bigger the better (he was born in USA LOL). Look at my case in this thread. Despite being a mid tower it has TONS of room. I could fit a 240mm rad and some fans in the top, the side has tons of room for cable management. I can fit 3rd video card if I wanted to and there is still lots of room. I removed one of the HDD cages just for better airflow.

Case Pics

All Mid tower and full tower and mATX cases are different sizes. It's just like a nike size 9 is different from an adidas size 9 shoe or shirt or pants whatever(ime at least). They are not all the exact same and have lots of variation in height width or length. Newegg has a really good feature with lots of pictures at all angles of their cases, with the dimensions posted. You should be able to size up the cases quite well with that.

I might sound like a corsair fanboy but personally I feel they have the best cases. If they had an mATX case I would have went with them instead of Fractal Design for mATX.

And yes it does matter where the standoffs for your motherboard go, but I believe most cases that support a standard ATX will also give you the option to mount mATX.
That does look good, I concede.... :)

What's the difference between the 650D and 700D?

Also, I like that heatsink.... is it the liquid cooling? I am wondering how it compares to air cooling.... I like that it's not a huge block like the air cooling heat sinks... :) Looks like it would be easy to work in that case with that setup... :)
Old October 31, 2011, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The 650d is a mid tower and the 700d is a full tower. It looks to me like the 700d is a version of the 850d but with less features. If you did decide to go with a full tower you will have TONS of room to work with and I imagine you can fit nearly any kind of setup in it.

Yes that is a very simple small closed loop water cooler. I believe it is comparable to the high end air coolers in regards to performance. For sure the small block and the lack of ginormous funny lookin heatsink in your case is a plus. Also you can say "hey i have a water cooled pc" lol.

It really was an easy case to work with. It is my first home build ever and it was easy as lego. The cable management was very easy too, despite being a 1st timer..... even though it took me about 3 hours to do(mostly planning and thinking, looking and placing wires to see how they fit). That is also another huge plus to the 650d.
Old October 31, 2011, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
The 650d is a mid tower and the 700d is a full tower. It looks to me like the 700d is a version of the 850d but with less features. If you did decide to go with a full tower you will have TONS of room to work with and I imagine you can fit nearly any kind of setup in it.

Yes that is a very simple small closed loop water cooler. I believe it is comparable to the high end air coolers in regards to performance. For sure the small block and the lack of ginormous funny lookin heatsink in your case is a plus. Also you can say "hey i have a water cooled pc" lol.

It really was an easy case to work with. It is my first home build ever and it was easy as lego. The cable management was very easy too, despite being a 1st timer..... even though it took me about 3 hours to do(mostly planning and thinking, looking and placing wires to see how they fit). That is also another huge plus to the 650d.
I just noticed how expensive the 700D is so unfortunately, it's out of contention.

The 650D is probably at the absolute limit... even that is expensive!

But, I agree that it looks like a decent case. I notice what I feel are a couple of design flaws, though. Unlike the 800D, there's no hole/grommet at the top above the cpu cut out. What's that rectangular hole for? I was concerned what you do if your ATX connector on the mobo is at the top of the mobo.

The other design flaw which is actually worse is the top middle hole (w/ grommet) is USELESS. The mobo will cover this hole up and I've looked at images/pictures and yep, it's covered up each time with mobo installed. Did the designers not even care about checking their design w/ a mobo?

Other than that, it's pretty good for a mid tower.

The 600D looks ok, too, but what's the difference? The 600D actually looks a bit larger and maybe has more plastic on the front?

The 500R looks interesting, too, and is a candidate simply for being cheaper. It has less holes though so cable management probably has to be planned more carefully?

Some good options other than the Silverstone and HAF 932, though. Thanks! I believe those are my choices (thus far)!

I think it's the Corsair H60 cooler I was looking at. Very interesting! Would it be more complicated to use than the typical air cooler? It would solve my preference of not having a huge cooler take up space and make it hard to get my hands inside the case! :-D
Old October 31, 2011, 11:03 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

how bout the new bitfenix shinobi..very classy and within your budget.
Old October 31, 2011, 11:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well one good bonus to going with the 500r is that it can easily fit the H100 dual 120mm radiator in the top. It`s simply a bigger badder version of the H60. No the H60 is not complicated at all. Honestly man I'm a total noob at this stuff and it was really easy to install. It even comes with pre applied thermal paste.

Check out the newegg video he shows the H100 with the Corsair 500r.

Newegg TV: Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Overview - YouTube

You can either watch it all or fastforward to 5:15

Damn I should be a sales rep for corsair.
Old November 1, 2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

LOL @ the video especially at the end when the guy says 'TOOLESS' disk tray or whatever it is and then he needs a screwdriver!!! Design flaw!

How do you route your 8 pin ATX cable when almost every motherboard has the connector on the very top left of the mobo? When the mobo is in the case it's put in with the length up and down so when you look in the case, the connector is on the top left. There's NO hole/grommet on that side or at the top (only the 800D has one that I know of).

There looks to be a hole of some sort on the left top corner but not sure if you can put a cable through there. The only other way seems to use a hole on the right and then you have to route the cable across which sucks.

I was wondering if I'm the only one examining this dilemma and I read on newegg somebody who bought a case complaining about the same problem! Yay, I'm not so crazy after all....whew....... :)
Old November 1, 2011, 11:50 AM
Banned

Oh, update... looks like the cable does go through that hole! :=D

Obsidian 650D pics - Page 5 - The Corsair Support Forums

Maybe the contenders should be between the 650D and the 500R. The 500R doesn't have a hole at the top left, though? Nope. Imho, that's a negative.
Old November 1, 2011, 12:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I do like the 500R, but there is the 400R. But The one I do like it the 600T
that's a nice case

Newegg.ca - Corsair Graphite Series 600T CC600TM Mid-Tower Gaming Case
Old November 1, 2011, 07:29 PM
Banned

No one cares about my complaint?

Am I missing something?!? It seems to me if you have a CASE that has the PSU on the bottom, you need to route one of the ATX cables (either 4 or 8 pin depending on your mobo) to the top left corner somehow....

If the case has NO holes or grommets at the top, your options are not as good.

I don't like the 400R or 500R since there's not one hole up there at the top. The way the mobo fits... it's very close to the top so I would have another cable going across the mobo. If I get the liquid cooling heat sink, that's at least one cable going across so I'd have at least two. I'd rather keep that to a min.

It's one of my pet peeves with cases that have no thoughts to cable management and no cut out holes for that (Thermaltake A90 and others, hello!!!!?!?).

I look at the Silverstone Raven RV02 and it has holes everywhere on all corners... and although this is a weird case and one of the few in which the mobo is mounted differently, it looks as though it would solve the problem regardless of where the ATX connector is on the mobo. But, it's expensive and looks super weird. Also, is there a fan in the front top or just the front bottom?

The cases that look ok seem to cost more which is understandable, I guess, but unfortunate. I just think the cases that require a bottom mounted PSU would cause potential problems if there's no grommet hole above the mobo cut out hole (for the heat sink assembly). The other concern is with room behind the mobo tray for the cables. Some people complain about not having much room but this is on newegg so I don't know if they are just being picky or whether the room given is really that bad.

Am I being super picky about cases? Yeah, I know... for over $100, I think I'm entitled! :)
Old November 1, 2011, 07:44 PM
Banned

The 600T looks good with liquid cooling setup. This is a nice job!:

Corsair 600T + H80 Build - PICS

Does anyone have any pictures of a Silverstone Raven w/ similar setup? I was curious how they'd compare...