Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2011, 08:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
How about the LIAN LI Lancool First Knight Series PC-K9WX Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Very nice case closely resembling the Corsair 650D. Lian Li cases are usually ridiculously priced but this one is very fair price.
I've become a big fan of the semi/full mesh sides, the window and price aren't bad but the shipping puts it back up to $130 (I'm in the US) and it's not exactly a unique looking case. For $15 more (and the same price after rebate) I'd pick the Chaser MK-I over it for looks and also the MK-I looks like it has more cooling options (most obvious is the fan on the top).
Old October 23, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Oh ya I just looked at the chaser Mk. It's a pretty badass looking case. I like that it has cable management grommets in there. Many cases are lacking those.

I'm a fan of the less aggressive more simple cases so I can see how the ones I have suggested may look pretty BLAH.

:)
Old October 24, 2011, 02:33 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Oh ya I just looked at the chaser Mk. It's a pretty badass looking case. I like that it has cable management grommets in there. Many cases are lacking those.

I'm a fan of the less aggressive more simple cases so I can see how the ones I have suggested may look pretty BLAH.

:)
I hear ya man, I've just had crappy computers so far in my life and now that I'm building as big a beast as I can I want it to look like it :D

Actually most of the cases I've been looking at say they come with zip ties for cable management but that might just be luck...
Old October 24, 2011, 11:00 AM
Cooler Master USA

My System Specs

Let me know if you have any questions about CM cases and I'll be happy to help.

CM Blog, CM Forums, CMHD.tv, CMUSA Questions? -
CM FAQ, Live Support
Old October 24, 2011, 06:05 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic-CM View Post
Let me know if you have any questions about CM cases and I'll be happy to help.
Which one would you suggest for my setup if cost was no concern and which for under $150? How would these cases compare to the Chaser MK-I?
I'll likely be getting a second 580 a month or 2 from now but that is the only planned change.
Old October 25, 2011, 11:12 AM
Cooler Master USA

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninstrikr View Post
Which one would you suggest for my setup if cost was no concern and which for under $150? How would these cases compare to the Chaser MK-I?
I'll likely be getting a second 580 a month or 2 from now but that is the only planned change.
Has your position changed since your original post? I ask this because your first two choices target mid-tower cases (HAF 922 & Lanboy Air).

Judging by your responses to case suggestions, I'd gather that you like the cases that have an aggressive, militaristic, and/or industrial outlook.

Based on that, I have the following suggestions:

Price being no concern: CM Storm Trooper ($189.99 CAD MSRP)

I can't confirm for sure, but it should appear in your shops in a week or two. That's provided stock and other factors prevail.

Reasoning:
  • Wide-ranging support for air and liquid cooling
  • Customizable drive bay layout
  • Supports up to quad SLI / CF (depending on motherboard manufacturer layout)
  • Front panel 2.5" X-Dock for hot swap
  • Very large CPU mounting hole in the motherboard backplate
  • Full-featured front I/O panel

Under $150

Aggressive Theme: HAF 932 Advanced ($139.99 CAD via Canada Computers; on sale right now)

Alternate Theme (Clean lines): CM 690 II Advanced ($89.99 CAD via Canada Computers)

All of these cases can accommodate your hardware and future upgrades. I've used each of these cases and they represent my personal favorites for high-end builds such as yours.

Note: For better or worse, I typically don't include comparisons as I like to have cases stand on their own merits. It's also a small industry and I have friends at each of these companies!

CM FAQ, Live Support
Old October 25, 2011, 05:53 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Has your position changed since your original post? I ask this because your first two choices target mid-tower cases (HAF 922 & Lanboy Air).

Judging by your responses to case suggestions, I'd gather that you like the cases that have an aggressive, militaristic, and/or industrial outlook.

Based on that, I have the following suggestions:

Price being no concern: CM Storm Trooper ($189.99 CAD MSRP)

I can't confirm for sure, but it should appear in your shops in a week or two. That's provided stock and other factors prevail.

Reasoning:
  • Wide-ranging support for air and liquid cooling
  • Customizable drive bay layout
  • Supports up to quad SLI / CF (depending on motherboard manufacturer layout)
  • Front panel 2.5" X-Dock for hot swap
  • Very large CPU mounting hole in the motherboard backplate
  • Full-featured front I/O panel

Under $150

Aggressive Theme: HAF 932 Advanced ($139.99 CAD via Canada Computers; on sale right now)

Alternate Theme (Clean lines): CM 690 II Advanced ($89.99 CAD via Canada Computers)

All of these cases can accommodate your hardware and future upgrades. I've used each of these cases and they represent my personal favorites for high-end builds such as yours.
1. I generally looked for mid-tower because they were less expensive and still met my needs.
2. Aesthetically you nailed it on the Storm Trooper, great looking case with good features.
3. I was mostly comparing the 932 Advanced and the Chaser MK-I right now (currently the MK-I is slightly cheaper but it has a blue theme on plastic items that I can't change and I want a green theme, so huge con for them right now).
4. Not as much a fan of the clean lines but not a bad looking case non-the-less.

Any other suggestions than the 932 that may be cheaper or would cutting cost cut usability/features I'd really want? I'm not trying to be a cheap-o charlie here I just want to be able to have my rig up and running before Skyrim hits. I only have one more paycheck before then and it looks like it'll be a photo finish...

Quote:
Note: For better or worse, I typically don't include comparisons as I like to have cases stand on their own merits. It's also a small industry and I have friends at each of these companies!
Haha I understand completely, I've worked at/with several competing vet hospitals and when asked my opinion if I give any I stick with the good comments I have about them :D
Old October 25, 2011, 08:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with Nic-CM's suggestions and ideals. One of the reasons CM has about 40-50% of my personal and Client builds (You'd be suprised what I have done with your 310 Elite Cases, god I love them).

That being said I am going to offer another suggestion to the OP..

Take a good look at the Thermaltake A90 case. I have had both good and bad experiences with TT in the past. Either their cases were a big hit (Armor MX+) or more than likely a big flop.....

That being said the A90 is really a step in the right direction, it has lots of room (bigger than a traditional Mid-tower when beside my Apollo) and a very well thought out though simple interior. It keeps my 580 cool and does so with some simple style.
Might be something to consider, as its well within your budget.

Another to consider might be the Tempest 410 series by NZXT. They have always done a great job at making a good case on a Budget, and the 410 looks to keep that pedigree. I don't have one yet, but from some reading and such it appears to be very good.

My thoughts at least,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 26, 2011, 03:33 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks ST!

I'll look at them after work today :)
Old October 26, 2011, 10:06 AM
Cooler Master USA

My System Specs

I would also take a gander at any of our other CM Storm cases (Scout, Sniper, Enforcer). They'll likely fit the aesthetic that you're after and have plenty of features to satisfy your needs within that price range.

If you change your mind on the external outlook, our Elite Series has some of the best cases for the price out there. You'd be surprised at how many mainstream enthusiast features are included in some of them. I've built several 'sleeper' systems in the Elite Series that contained high-end hardware, but hid that fact well.

CM FAQ, Live Support