Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2014, 08:22 AM

My System Specs

The preorders are now live. Expected delivery date is in May.

Preorder - XForma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
There's been a lot of revisions, improvements and additions to ensure the case is state of the art upon it's release.. otherwise it would have run the risk of being outdated by the time it came out.

Labours of love take time!
Can't say I agree. The way I see it the case has almost no market. Firstly it is now even more expensive. It was $1200 before but now $1250 for the base, which gets you at lot less. To have the options shown in their first prototype it would cost $1900 + taxes and freight.

It will be limited to 5x120mm worth of radiators, which is also IMO insufficient for a high end machine.

As SSDs transition to NVMe, SATA becomes outdated. People will be using m.2 or PCIe SSDs. Especially in a high end rig. Also most enthusiasts that have the coin to drop $2000 on a case likely already have some sort of NAS/server, so local HDD space isn't required. So their super nifty drive cage becomes already irrelevant before release. The optical drive is at least an option now.

I pre-ordered the first two times but will not be this time. I won't deny it isn't a beautiful high quality case. But it was designed for a market from 4-5 years ago. Things have changed it it no longer suits my needs.
Old December 26, 2014, 10:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have been a pretty big supporter of Murderbox since before its original release, but I kinda have to agree with lf. I do see Sata disappearing and I do have a large NAS that takes care of my storage needs, but main issues now are price. I took a look at the new price structure and I think it is beyond what I would be willing to spend. If I was to get a MDX, it would have to be exactly what I wanted and spending over two grand is just too much for me at the moment, and probably ever. I was at my maximum with the last Rev coming in at about $1600 plus shipping and tax, but with the weakening dollar and around $200 shipping, just out of my league.

It's a damn shame as I wanted one real bad and had deposits down a couple times but I think they missed the window. I still love my original Murderbox, and will continue to tinker with it as time goes on. That will have to do :)

Dick Kickem
Old December 26, 2014, 04:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I came here thinking one of you guys got yours! Come to find out, it still had never shipped or went to production and now the price has gone up. That's a shame.

I never quite understood why this cost so much in the first place either though. Yes, it looks nice, but really, isn't it just a TJ07 frame that been further modified like the previous MBX?
Old December 27, 2014, 01:37 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
I have been a pretty big supporter of Murderbox since before its original release, but I kinda have to agree with lf. I do see Sata disappearing and I do have a large NAS that takes care of my storage needs, but main issues now are price. I took a look at the new price structure and I think it is beyond what I would be willing to spend. If I was to get a MDX, it would have to be exactly what I wanted and spending over two grand is just too much for me at the moment, and probably ever. I was at my maximum with the last Rev coming in at about $1600 plus shipping and tax, but with the weakening dollar and around $200 shipping, just out of my league.

It's a damn shame as I wanted one real bad and had deposits down a couple times but I think they missed the window. I still love my original Murderbox, and will continue to tinker with it as time goes on. That will have to do :)
You probably got the email like I did. But for those who pre-ordered originally the radiator holder and reservoir mounts come free. So it isn't much more than before.

But for me that still doesn't matter much. The case just no longer suits my needs.
Old December 27, 2014, 03:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You probably got the email like I did. But for those who pre-ordered originally the radiator holder and reservoir mounts come free. So it isn't much more than before.

But for me that still doesn't matter much. The case just no longer suits my needs.
Ya, I just got the email too. I think I am just coming out of the hobby a bit too much. Three young kids and a massive work schedule have my focus on other things, also beginning to take DJing more seriously in my free time.

Also the plummet of the Canadian Dollar has large consequences on these cases. Last pre-order I had the dollar was slightly above par. Almost 20% increase in the cost really sucks now.

I really wish it would have happened earlier. Now I would feel like I should upgrade my rig along with the case and my X79 system still has me pleased, so the negatives just keep stacking up. I think I will just do what you did lf and get OCD on what I have around and build the stuff I need. I have everything I need to build the Luminous Panel and should just buy a bending kit for my hardtubing.

Dick Kickem
Old December 29, 2014, 08:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I got the email as well and I agree with others, it's a little too late and too expensive.
Old December 29, 2014, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
The preorders are now live. Expected delivery date is in May.

Preorder - XForma

Can't say I agree. The way I see it the case has almost no market. Firstly it is now even more expensive. It was $1200 before but now $1250 for the base, which gets you at lot less. To have the options shown in their first prototype it would cost $1900 + taxes and freight.

It will be limited to 5x120mm worth of radiators, which is also IMO insufficient for a high end machine.

As SSDs transition to NVMe, SATA becomes outdated. People will be using m.2 or PCIe SSDs. Especially in a high end rig. Also most enthusiasts that have the coin to drop $2000 on a case likely already have some sort of NAS/server, so local HDD space isn't required. So their super nifty drive cage becomes already irrelevant before release. The optical drive is at least an option now.

I pre-ordered the first two times but will not be this time. I won't deny it isn't a beautiful high quality case. But it was designed for a market from 4-5 years ago. Things have changed it it no longer suits my needs.
I agree with you. The post you replied to is about 7 months old which is an eternity in the tech world. Too much time continues to pass and the combination of tech advancing, the price raising, and our dollar being significantly under USD has changed things drastically.

I don't think I ever have the desire to build a machine both this large and complex again at any rate.

Old September 22, 2015, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Is this case being shipped yet? Can't say I've seen anything anywhere on it.
Old September 23, 2015, 08:02 AM

My System Specs

No. I believe November is the suspected ship date.