Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2008, 08:08 PM
Rookie

Default Looking for a case that will fit a 120x3 rad internally

I figured while I was waiting for the Yorkfield quad cores to come out I would get my water-cooling system ready to go.

I pretty much have my system planed out, but I still can't decide on a case. I am planning on using:

I plan to use a D-TEK FuZion for the CPU block if they are in stock when I'm ready to order, or I may get one someplace else if I have to.

My plan is to find a case that I can mount the 123x3 rad internally in the top of the case. This pretty much narrows the case down to having a bottom mounted power supply and most likely an inverted motherboard with the PCI slots near the top of the case. In addition I plan on doing a push/pull fan configuration which means that with two sets of fans that are 25mm thick and a 34mm thick radiator, I will have 84mm to work with. Even more space would be better as I had originally planned to make some spacers to place between the fans and the radiator to try and eliminate the dead spots caused by the center off the fan being to close to the radiator.

I am not much of a gamer so I can afford to lose a PCIe slot as I do not plan on ever using an SLi or Crossfire system and I plan on cooling my graphics card passively with an Arctic Cooling Accelero facing the exhaust fans on the radiator to remove the heat. My main objective with my water-cooling project to get the best possible overclock out of my CPU and motherboard while at the same time be quiet and look clean (must all be internal).

Now I just need to find I case that fits my needs and looks good. First off price isn't really an option as I plan to used this case for my next couple builds but under $300 is preferred. I'm not a big fan of front doors but I will consider all cases as long as they look clean and aren't to flashy, for instance the Silverstone cases. Oh, one more thing the top of the case must be flat as I need to cut holes for the fan exhaust.

I've been creeping on every forum I could find looking at different WC build but I still can't find what I'm looking for. So far I found a few that might work.

The Lian Li PC-2000 Plus II

The Tagan Black Pearl
Old February 11, 2008, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

MountainMods.com-Computer Cases-U2-UFO

Might be more than you want to spend

Patriote has a worklog here useing this case and a 120.3
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...m-worklog.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 11, 2008, 08:26 PM
Rookie

I just did some measuring on my current ATX case and motherboard I noticed that I might have trouble getting the the graphics card to fit even in the lower PCIe slot, let alone have the GPU heatsink face up. Getting rid of the push/pull configuration would likely work but I really wanted maximum performance. I could also go with a mATX board but the limits my OCing options greatly. I really want to have an internal top mounted radiator as it makes the most sense to me to remove the hot rising air through the top of the case

Anyone have any suggestions? Is this even possible? I starting to think this is why I haven't found any other WC builds that are setup like this.
Old February 11, 2008, 08:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
MountainMods.com-Computer Cases-U2-UFO

Might be more than you want to spend

Patriote has a worklog here useing this case and a 120.3
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...m-worklog.html
Although they are nice cases I think they are a little to bulky for what I want. There is no way that I would have room for that on my desk. Thanks for the link, it looks like I may have to go big or go home.

If only I had the tools to build my own case, anybody know a good machine shops in Saskatchewan that could cut up some aluminum sheet metal?

Last edited by JephDiesel; February 11, 2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old February 11, 2008, 09:13 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Any shop that does custom auto rebuilding and can cut and form sheet steel for custom parts can do the same for aluminum most likely.
Old February 11, 2008, 09:51 PM

My System Specs

You can fit a 3x120mm radiator no problem in the bottom of a Stacker 832/830.
Old February 12, 2008, 03:09 PM
Top Prospect

Maybe you can also use the lian-li armorsuit like in the front of it?

Old February 12, 2008, 03:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've seen suggestions that the new(er) cooler master Cosmos 1000 can be easily modded to fit an internal 360, but have just started looking at it so I don't have any links.

It is however designed in such a way that a 240 will fit right in without any modifications required...... I'm wondering if a person might not get the same performance from a high end 240 compared to a mid/low end 360 and not have to do any modding at all.

(I've got one of these sitting in my cart over at DC while I mull it over..... :) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 12, 2008, 04:09 PM
Rookie

I like the Lian Li PC-P60, it looks tough and overbuilt. Can't seem to find any online stores in Canada that have them in stock though.

I would imagine that I could mount the 120x3 rad in the front of the case flush with the 5.25" bays. I could mount 3 fans on the back of the radiator (maybe only 2 if the hard drive cage is in the way) and 3 more in the door and not have to cut any hole in the top of my case. Only problem is that the warm air from the radiator is drawn over the hard drives and into the case which I guess isn't the worst thing in the world. Looks like I would lose all my 5.25 bays which I can deal with as I was planning on on doing all of my CD/DVD burning on my media center PC from now on. I could just use an external DVD drive for the odd time I would need to install software or OSs.

Old February 12, 2008, 04:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I've seen suggestions that the new(er) cooler master Cosmos 1000 can be easily modded to fit an internal 360, but have just started looking at it so I don't have any links.

It is however designed in such a way that a 240 will fit right in without any modifications required...... I'm wondering if a person might not get the same performance from a high end 240 compared to a mid/low end 360 and not have to do any modding at all.

(I've got one of these sitting in my cart over at DC while I mull it over..... :) ).
I looked into the Cosmos case when it first came out thinking that it would be a good case to do an internal 240 radiator but I didn't want to risk buying it unseen without having a better look at that plastic piece on the top of the case. I pretty sure a radiator wouldn't fit between the outside of the case and the plastic cover, maybe the fans would though. Also that plastic piece looks like it really constricts the airflow. Why couldn't they have just built it with an aluminum top?

Edit: Here's the new version of the Coolermaster Cosmos Case Cooler Master Cosmos S Case | Hardware Secrets
By the looks of it this case might be alright. Ton's of room between the top of the case and the motherboard, 3 120mm fans on the top, and it actually looks alot better then the Cosmos 1000

Last edited by JephDiesel; February 12, 2008 at 04:29 PM.