Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   Portable solid case (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/45545-portable-solid-case.html)

JJThomp August 10, 2011 06:35 AM

Portable solid case

Hey guys I'm going to be building my computer in september however I am a university student and will need to take this computer along with all my stuff and my girlfriends stuff 1400 km in a pontiac G5 coupe... Yeah it's gonna be a tight fit, so I'm going to downsize the case I use. Also this means it must be solid because it might get a little bumped around.

This case is going to be for a gaming/folding rig so it needs good cooling and needs to be able to fit a GTX 560 ti or GTX 570.

I did a bit of searching through threads but mostly they recommend mini-itx cases which are okay but I think m-ATX will be small enough.

Budget $50-$100 (up to $160 with PSU in must be a good PSU included).

SKYMTL August 10, 2011 07:47 AM

I HIGHLY recommend the Silverstone Sugo series or better yet, the new Silverstone Temjin TJ08B-E.

Keltron 3030 August 10, 2011 07:54 AM

My vote goes to the Temjin TJ08 as well; looks real slick, small and very efficient in terms of cooling

JJThomp August 10, 2011 08:48 AM

Temjin TJ-08 looks really good but is there anything with a bottom mounted PSU?

I read the Fractal Arc series was good but can't seem to find any

Edit: how do you guys feel about the NZXT Vulcan (I like the handle and amount of fans although the case is pretty fugly)

Also a little more information this will only have a 2.5inch and a 3.5 inch drive + 1 optical Drive so HDD space is not really an issue.

SKYMTL August 10, 2011 09:30 AM

A bottom mounted PSU in a small chassis is pointless IMO. In such a small enclosure, it is MUCH more efficient to have the PSU mounted at the top in order to suck out hot air.

Flemminr August 10, 2011 09:31 AM

While they may not be the most portable cases on the market, you may want to consider the Corsair Carbide 400R and the Cooler Master 690 II. Both are mid-tower cases around the $100 (give or take $10 or $20)and they both support a ton of case fans so you've got lots of cooling options. I have a 690 II myself and I'm thoroughly impressed with it. It's a solid case. PSU is bottom mount as well.

JJThomp August 10, 2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 540016)
A bottom mounted PSU in a small chassis is pointless IMO. In such a small enclosure, it is MUCH more efficient to have the PSU mounted at the top in order to suck out hot air.

I see thank you very much TJ-08 is on top of my list however I will continue my search until I actually buy my computer more because I find it fun researching parts :)

P.S Tech News is slow these days (is hijacking my own threads illegal?)

ilya August 10, 2011 11:35 AM

I've heard complaints of the TJ-08E being too flimsy as it uses 0.6mm steel instead of 0.8mm and the drive bays add no structural support to the overall frame, plus the removable motherboard tray takes away even more structural strength. It seems that Silverstone has really skimped on quality to make some of their cases affordable. The FT03 is another good example.

I would go for a Sugo personally.

chubaka August 10, 2011 01:06 PM

my vote goes to the lian li pc-a05... not sure where to get it in canada tho...

FlyingFish August 10, 2011 05:22 PM

My Vote goes to the Lian Li V351 or similar:

NCIX.com - Buy Lian Li PC-V351B Black Aluminum mATX Desktop Cube Case 2X5.25 1X3.5 2X3.5INT No PS USB Audio - LIAN-LI - PC-V351B - in Canada