Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2011, 11:31 PM
Rookie

Default Heatsinks

Has anyone ever created a heat sink that is somewhat attached to the metal computer case thus allowing the case to help disperse the heat?
Old August 3, 2011, 12:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Zalman's TNN series are the only cases I can think of. They were designed for fully passive cooling and had a ridiculous MSRP of $1000.
Old August 3, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I seem to recall seeing someone using copper pipe and running that from the components on the motherboard to parts of the case.. I *think* they might have put something inside the pipes but I do not remember what.

The problem is that it is a very custom build for each case and motherboard and video card. And even then your average case is not really any good at dissipating heat in comparison to a normal heatsink.

Sure, you can reconstruct the case to be crazily finned but at that point you are better off fabricating a custom case.
Old August 3, 2011, 09:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Besides doing it for posterities sake, there really isn't a good reason to turn a case into a heatsink or even use it as part of one.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 3, 2011, 10:31 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Getting an aluminium case would do the job I think. IIRC, aluminium dissipates heat better.
Old August 3, 2011, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

But you still need a high surface area where you are dumping the heat. Almost every case lacks that, the remaining tiny number of cases designed for this purpose are for silent roles such as an HTPC and whatnot... and those have lots of finnage.