Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2008, 11:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Noob Question about fan control

I hate asking noob questions but I couldn't find any info on this particular issue.

I like a quiet case, I ordered the CM690 right. 3 x 120 fans. At the moment I have the CM330 with the rear fan attached to the Asus MB chasis fan connector, which through Q-fan keeps it nice slow and quiet.

So what do I do with 3 case fans? do I piggy back the connectors to the Mobo? or do I purchase a fan controller?

If it's the controller I need can I get some suggestions?

I found this which looks nice: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ustomerReviews

But I suppose what I'm really asking is do I need it or can I connect all 3 fans to the MB connector?

Last edited by low351; February 5, 2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: clarification
Old February 5, 2008, 12:51 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Id say go for a fan controller, but not that one . There's one from sunbeam that's actually quite nice (you can tell from the size of the heatsinks for each channel).
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Sunbeam
Its also simpler, one knob per fan, no controls/multiple button presses to change fan rpms. EDIT: its also 20$!

If you are looknig for something with some feedback I'd suggest the new Zalman MFC2, which has rpm monitoring as well as power supply consumption in watts.
::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::

As for overloading the fan header on the motherboard I wouldnt suggest it unless youre using pwm fans on a pwm header on the motherboard (since pwm is a digital control signal rather than a standard fan header which is using voltage to control the ran speed).
Old February 5, 2008, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That Zalman has a Very Limited viewing angle, you pretty much need to be looking dead on other wise all you will see is "8888"

I would go with the sunbeam myself they have made great fan controllers for many years.

Do not Daisy chain fans together and hook them to your MOBO's header.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 5, 2008, 01:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Another solution would be to hardwire the fans to the PSU connectors. I do that all the time. I test the fans, if they are at 7V too loud (connect + wire from the fan to 12V rail and - wire to 5V rail to get 7V) then I go with 5V or different fans and that it is. No fan controler need. But it is of course nicer to have one. If the fans are serious, then Sunbeam one looks sturdy and they at least do not like like the Zalman with the "800W" utter BS on the fan controller :)
800W is not even possible to pass thru the input voltage connector of the fan controller, much less to regulate w/o serious regulator with huge heatsinks, huge and expensive mosfets, caps and fans blowing air at that all :)
Old February 5, 2008, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas View Post
If the fans are serious, then Sunbeam one looks sturdy and they at least do not like like the Zalman with the "800W" utter BS on the fan controller :)
800W is not even possible to pass thru the input voltage connector of the fan controller, much less to regulate w/o serious regulator with huge heatsinks, huge and expensive mosfets, caps and fans blowing air at that all :)
Just to jet you know, that 800W is a readout of the power consumed by the entire system. It uses a voltage/current sensor that goes inline with your power cord. Kind of a neat feature.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old February 5, 2008, 02:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks, I certainly won't piggy back the fans to the chasis fan connector on the mobo then.

I think I'll start with trodos suggestion and perhaps get the Sunbeam or Sythe if that proves too loud for me.

Also I did see some small single inline controllers that looked interesting. But I suppose if I bought more than two it would have been better to get the sunbeam,
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...=ZALMAN%20TECH
Old February 5, 2008, 03:44 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Those zalman fanmates are another good option but you still need to have one motherboard header per fan you're using with the fanmate (since the fanmates run inline to your motherboards fan headers).

If you're going to go with trodas' suggestion I would add this little note... Label The Modded Connectors!! I've seen a few cases where a customer has come in with a burnt/not working hard drive or optical drive and tells me that the previous owner of the system had no problems with it..... So please be sure to label any modded connectors on your power supply for your own, and everyone else's, benefit! Also, if you're unsure of your soldering / heatshinking abilties get someone with experience to do it because a bad solder joint can fail and bad shrinkwrapping jobs can cause the exposed wires to short out on the chassis .

Good luck with your project!
Old February 6, 2008, 06:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks CMeta, I hadn't looked far enough down the page I just assumed the fan mates could be attached to the PSU directly, otherwise they are only useful if you don't have a MB with Q-fan IMHO.

Although I'm willing to try stuff, I've been in IT long enough to know sometimes it's just better to spend the money than mod something custom if you don't know how to do it right. So based on your experience I'll get a fan controller rather than splice and pray...

Either way I am waiting for my CM690 now that they finally processed my order so once I get the case I'll know what I'm going to do. I'll post the resulting pics.
Old February 6, 2008, 08:28 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Sounds awsome! let us know how it goes! (And post pics too! hehe)