Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2011, 04:23 PM
Banned

Default Cable management case for $100?

As the title states, cable management is an essential feature! I am tired of cases in which cable management was down the line on priorities. Although, I think Antec does a good job with cases, I've had two so far and cable management wasn't a priority. It doesn't help I'm not buying expensive cases but I read some manufacturers do put some investment in it.

Can someone recommend me a case or cases that would be good at cable management? I know I can mod the case if it's really essential but it would be good if the case started out with that in mind. I am not sure why all the manufacturers put this as a priority #1 when we have so many components and cables going around.

Anyway, first, I will list some cases that are available locally to me so if any of these are good choices, it would at least allow me to check them out before purchase:

Thermaltake Armor A90; CM 690 II; NZXT M59

Any other candidates?

The Corsair Graphite Series 600T was suggested in another thread. But, I don't think I can get that locally and it's more expensive. How does it compare? It would have to be worth the extra bucks as I would have to tag on shipping charges, too.

The reason I'm even looking at cases is that my Antec 300 is a bit of a pain to manage cabling with. But, that's not the sole reason. I might be putting together a cheap system together with spare parts and that way I can move my main system into a new case and the spare computer can have the Antec 300 case. This would be the third 'move' for my main system so I guess it teaches me to invest more time and evaluation on cases next time!

The Antec 300 is an adequate case, don't get me wrong. I bought it for $50 and have seen it advertised for $35 on sale but I'm glad I didn't buy a 2nd one. I guess I'm getting more picky about cabling and I think it should help for improved air flow and cooling, right?

I'm not sure when I'd buy the new case. Not until next month at the earliest. I'll make do with the current Antec 300 and in the meantime I'm trying to do the best cable management job I can. Not easy to work with, though, imho. Any Antec 300 case owners out there? Just wondering what Antec 300 owners did. I guess there are mods that involve drilling but I am looking at some simple cable re-route jobs and maybe getting an extension cable connector for one of the cables.

Looking forward for some recommendations. I have no idea what is good as I have done no reading on cases. Not my favorite component to gloss over. :) Also, I figure the best ones are probably very expensive and maybe full towers. My budget is probably $100 for the case, though, unfortunately.
Old April 23, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

A90 is horrible I've tried.

CM 690 II is great tho.
Old April 23, 2011, 05:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just put everything behind the mobo tray and hdd rack on my Antec 300 - too lazy to make holes. I'll throw some pics up when I get home from work.
Old April 23, 2011, 05:42 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I have a CM 690 II and I've found the cable management space behind the motherboard tray to be very small. I cannot make all the cables from my non-modular PSU fit there and I have to leave the side panel off.

I wouldn't count on good cable management from it unless you have a modular PSU and thus don't need to fit very many cables behind the tray.
Old April 24, 2011, 11:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
A90 is horrible I've tried.

CM 690 II is great tho.
You've got bad luck or maybe something else on the go but my A90 was perfect for Cable Management.
Still using it to this day.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 24, 2011, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krajee View Post
I just put everything behind the mobo tray and hdd rack on my Antec 300 - too lazy to make holes. I'll throw some pics up when I get home from work.
That would be good, thanks. I don't know what to do with mine. I read of people using a dremel but I think that requires taking everything out? Also, I don't have one so I would either have to buy one or find someone who has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arundor View Post
I have a CM 690 II and I've found the cable management space behind the motherboard tray to be very small. I cannot make all the cables from my non-modular PSU fit there and I have to leave the side panel off.

I wouldn't count on good cable management from it unless you have a modular PSU and thus don't need to fit very many cables behind the tray.
I will only buy a modular PSU now (I have one now but the cables are short) and I will make sure the cables are LONG. Not sure if I have to go to a particular model or brand but this is the 2nd case I bought with cable management problems! No more Antec cases regardless of price! Why don't they address this? I read of many people complaining about Antec 900 cases among others. I won't buy another Antec case until they decide to make holes in it for cable management.

That is strange regarding two totally different perspectives on the A90 case. I will have to look at it before I even consider. I will figure out what kind of holes are preferable and who designs a good one before I even put hardware in a new case, too. I don't like messing around with cables and if I have to, I want things convenient. Some of the cases out there are expensive and they're just big aluminum or steel boxes. I like when a manufacturer at least has some thought into how people have different power supplies, motherboards etc. and figure people want cable management options.

I am not sure which case to get, though. I have to keep my Antec 300 for now. I am looking at it and can only think of having the main 8-pin and maybe the 24-pin cable going around the side so it would be blocking the area in which you take out the sound/video cards but I don't know where else they can go if I don't want them going over the motherboard. Probably will to some extent, anyway. :-(
Old April 24, 2011, 11:53 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Lancool PC-K62 > CM 690 II

IMHO

$90 at NCIX

I own one and absolutely love it.
Old April 24, 2011, 12:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Here, this is while I was building it, not finished.
Mind you You'll have to wait on the finished pictures because the 6950 is gone now (thank god).
Attached Images

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 24, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Antec 300 is ok w/ cable management. But for the price, i'd rather get a HAF912.

-Plato
Old April 24, 2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

I find it a bit difficult to see how you managed the cabling. :)

Edit: ST, let me know if I am incorrect, but on 2nd look, your system looks convenient to manage cabling especially with your case if there's already pre-drilled holes or there is a design to allow for cables to go.

My problem is that my case being an Antec 300 w/ Corsair HX520 PSU and mobo that has the POWER connectors (on the mobo) at or very near the exhaust fan (side). How on earth do I get them there (WITHOUT going over top the mobo)? Does that help describe my dilemma???? :-(

The PSU at the bottom of the case means I need to direct a 24-pin and 8-pin power ATX cable somehow to the top left corner of the case/mobo. :-/

Here's a newbie question: how does one post pictures? You use an image hosting site? Which one does HC recommend to use?

I am not sure how one would do a good job with cable management with an Antec 300.... looking forward to seeing krajee's pictures. Hope they're clear. :)

The HAF 912 is $60! Is it better for cable management compared to the HAF 922, CM 690 II, K62, A90 and 600T? It sure is an inviting price but I'll go up to $100 easy if the design is good.

Why do you guys prefer a case over another? I would choose cable management and fan options as my priority. I will have quite a few 120mm fans now. Can I use them for the new case? I suppose if I have some left over (not sure if these other cases use other sizes like 200mm or 140mm), I can keep them for a spare computer. I'll be re-using the Antec 300 for an older computer eventually so it even makes me more frustrated! I *still* have to deal with this case! One good part of that, though, is that I will have a chance to go to work. LOL! Dremel or????

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations! How does the HAF 912 compare to the 922? The HAF 922 is in a local store so if I go with the 912 instead, if there are some similarities, I can go take a look and have an idea.

Sorry for the long posts! I thought I solved the air cooling/cable management issues with the Antec 300! How wrong I was! The cooling might be adequate but with a PSU with short cables and no real design for cable management, it is more of a project that I wanted. The other search will be for a modular PSU with super long cables! :D

Last edited by Borg; April 24, 2011 at 01:31 PM.