Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2008, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by low351 View Post
Black, that's tight. Really clean. I like the panel window mod too, I'm thinking of doing that on my Elite because I had to take out the funnel that brought cold air to the stock CPU cooler when I put in the vanquisher which was too high. So now I have empty screw holes on the side which just messes with my fung-shway [sic].

enaberif/Vortex, I really like that 690. Unfortunately I just got the Elite as a present for christmas I can't ditch it without hurting feelings. I asked for a case because I had an Alpha 602Black case (Model) before that.
I didn't like the front ports on the side and the cheap HUGE power button. Also, originally this was a cheap $450 PC build to get Vista in the house but I decided to go beyond that after nearly buying an Apple iMac then coming to the realization that if I dropped even half of the $1800 cost into my PC I'd have a kick ass rig.

I'm just waiting on the oportune moment now to bring 'er down and get to reorganizing. I've got it fileserving for my 3 XBMC xboxes and everybody's watching TV shows or Movies off of it tonight...
You also need to turn your cpu cooler the right way :P Fan should be blowing out the back unless you can't turn it.
Old January 25, 2008, 08:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yeah that's the dissappointing thing about the Vanquisher on an AM2 socket proc. The clip only sits over the heat pipes in a certain way so my only choice was to point it down or up. An intel CPU wouldn't have that restriction cause of the pegs. I knew about this beforehand but I still took it because there was no backplate to install and I didn't want to pull off the motherboard.

I chose to point it up to push through the PSU fan and out, not ideal but I may get a tiny benefit from it sucking air away from the backside of my GPU in the same breath.

Last edited by low351; January 25, 2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling again...
Old January 26, 2008, 12:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by low351 View Post
enaberif/Vortex, I really like that 690.
The CM 690 is a cool case but due to the fact that the PSU is on the bottom, you have to make sure you cables are long enough...I've tried 3 PSU's now and none of the 8-pin CPU powercables is long enough to go behind the mobo-board.

My $ 0.02

I wish you good luck on your cabling though!
Old January 26, 2008, 01:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. Silver View Post
The CM 690 is a cool case but due to the fact that the PSU is on the bottom, you have to make sure you cables are long enough...I've tried 3 PSU's now and none of the 8-pin CPU powercables is long enough to go behind the mobo-board.

My $ 0.02

I wish you good luck on your cabling though!
My PC Power & Cooling reaches fine :D
Old January 26, 2008, 04:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Smile Project complete

Well guys, thanks for the comments and the help. It's done.

I have managed to clean up the cables to my liking. I was going to leave the drives the right way around but when I tried that the cables were just too messy so I ended up reversing them. I used the toolless insert with a pin taken out on the front side and small thumb screws on the backside to secure them better. I had to re-orient the stock 120mm fan because the of the wire orientation (red arrow).

Here is the before:

And here is the after:

I used ties and velcro straps from the dollar store 2$, can't beat that.

Here is a pic of me pulling a pin from the toolless drive clip for those who have Elite 330s.

And here is a pic of the backside where all those messy cables went... You can see the disk drive thumb screws...
Old January 28, 2008, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice work! It's the next thing to be done in my CM690 :P.. but I don't have the time right now. School is keeping me away!

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old January 28, 2008, 12:12 PM
Top Prospect

Thats a great looking change thanks for sharing the photo's.
Old January 28, 2008, 12:49 PM
Rookie

Wow! You did a great job there. Nice and tidy. Enjoy!
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-800
XFX GeForece 8800GTS 512 (G92)
WD SE16 500GB SATAII / WD 250GB SATAII
LG SATA DVD-RW
Corsair HX520 Modular PSU
Antec P182 w/all fans replaced w/Noctua NF-P12-1300s
BenQ T221W 22" LCD @ 1680x1050
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Old January 28, 2008, 02:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Holy Crap!

Nice job in cleaning up your case. Impressive before and after pictures. I think you have inspired me to clean up the current clutter in my case.
Old January 28, 2008, 03:57 PM
Top Prospect

Wow, nice job!
James