Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   CM Haf X vs Corsair 800D (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/42212-cm-haf-x-vs-corsair-800d.html)

BFighter April 3, 2011 11:59 AM

CM Haf X vs Corsair 800D

I'm probably gonna use watercooling kit from EK the Supreme HF 360 kit. (360mm rad)
Both can fit the 360mm rad, but which one is better.HAF X is alot cheaper, so...
I don't care about the looks, because I like both.

BrutalGreen April 3, 2011 12:34 PM

they both work great for water cooling, but in corsair's favor the fit and finish on their Obsidian series is quite superior to the HAF! on the other hand, if you were going to be doing air cooling the 800D isn't rly suited for that as it becomes a hotbox. On the other hand the HAF is cheaper and is far better for air cooling but their is an abusive use of plastic for a case in its price bracket in my opinion...If u can do without the side panel window (I personally don't like windows but some people do) and the hotswap hdrive bays id suggest the 700D as it is often quite a bit cheaper!

BFighter April 3, 2011 12:51 PM

Ye, I think the HAF X will be better, I don't mind the plastic, because it is going to be under my desk anyways. HAF has much better airflow, and I think that would be better for the GPU

BrutalGreen April 3, 2011 02:38 PM

Oh if ur not putting ur gpu under water or even if you have real hot passively cooled components (like an nvidia chipset for example) I'd advise against both the 700/800D! i personally rather putting water blocks on gpus and a good air cooler on the cpu usually if i have to choose 1, although that must be cause I mainly need the horsepower in gaming. although I agree only getting a cpu water block is cheaper and makes for a much simpler loop/more standard water blocks (although I've never owned a water cooled system, and only made them for customers who unanimously went for every component water cooled, including the motherboard...rich people...)!

Zygote April 3, 2011 07:07 PM

The 800D will be easier to maintain and clean when compared to the HAF X with all those ridges. For a case, I mainly ask myself, What do I want out of my case? Do I want low maintenance? If so Then I would get the 800D or even 700D. If I want to save money, I would go for the HAF X. Size, Do I want smaller or bigger? etc... So my question to you is, What do you want out of your case?

botat29 April 3, 2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutalGreen (Post 502521)
. i personally rather putting water blocks on gpus and a good air cooler on the cpu usually if i have to choose .....

Exactly, I regret so much to have include my CPU and Board chipset to my water loop, Water the GPU is great, no need to play with the setting of gpu fan, no fan noise too. All my new build will be GPU water cooled only

dustin1706 April 3, 2011 08:57 PM

I went through this dilemma last fall. After having used the 800d for several months now, I would definitely go 800d for water, or HAFX for air.

Here's My comparison list.

700/800D:
+ looks good, but slightly boring IMO
+ Haven't seen anything beat it for cable management.
+ Good layout for watercooling.
- Mediocre airflow (again I'm watercooling anyway but still need some airflow)
+ Aluminum front panel rather than plastic
+ huge CPU rear access panel

HAFX:
= Styling is... perhaps a bit "busy" for my tastes but more than acceptable
+Great front panel with usb 3.0 and esata
- Stupid sliding cover for power button
+ side panels are "shaped" which makes them less prone to flexing/vibrating.
+ comes with wheels

BMAN69 April 4, 2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustin1706 (Post 502653)
I went through this dilemma last fall. After having used the 800d for several months now, I would definitely go 800d for water, or HAFX for air.

Here's My comparison list.

700/800D:
+ looks good, but slightly boring IMO
+ Haven't seen anything beat it for cable management.
+ Good layout for watercooling.
- Mediocre airflow (again I'm watercooling anyway but still need some airflow)
+ Aluminum front panel rather than plastic
+ huge CPU rear access panel

HAFX:
= Styling is... perhaps a bit "busy" for my tastes but more than acceptable
+Great front panel with usb 3.0 and esata
- Stupid sliding cover for power button
+ side panels are "shaped" which makes them less prone to flexing/vibrating.
+ comes with wheels

Another plus for the 700/ 800D:
24" (H) x 24" (L) x 9" (W) - (609mm X 609mm X 229 mm) :thumb:

vs.
Cooler Master HAFX
(W)9.6" X (H)22.0" front halfX (D)22.2"

So one would get an additional 2" both in height and length to fiddle around with; I found installing my water cooling loop into the 700D extremely easy.

Keep a lookout at ncix; once in a while they'll have the 700D on for $150, that's what I got mine for just last month (what a steal !!! :punk: )

enaberif April 4, 2011 06:23 AM

Having used both of these cases the interior layour and space of the 800D is FAR better than the HAF X

GT7R April 4, 2011 01:22 PM

800D/700D for water, HAF X for air.
It is that simple.