Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2011, 01:48 PM
MVP

Not having your patience Im going to pull the trigger on a zalman z9 plus instead as for the price it looks like a decently feature rich case. Although i hate the styling on the z9 and might just give that azza case a try when it becomes available...my only concern is I've already owned an azza helios 910 which was a great case for its time although i had to settle for a low profile cpu cooler cause the big side fan would interfere with most decent rifle coolers.

Thx alot guys for great advice

P.S. this is already an SLI system with 2x 560ti twin frozr...for the money I'm quite impressed with what i could find

here is a list of the final build components:

Last edited by BrutalGreen; May 23, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old March 9, 2011, 01:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've been eyeing the Z9 for a while now since it was first launched.

Let us know how it turns out, it really looks to have potential in its price range. Good competition for coolermaster, which is always ideal.

And, much better decision on the PSU. Its better knowing you have a quality unit inside of your case vs something that might pop some of your other gear or die on its own.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 9, 2011, 02:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would change out the Seagate 7200.12 1TB drive as well as I've personally had bad luck with 3 drives thus far. YMMV though.

I'd also consider the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus (+) heatsink instead as well. More versatile and performs awesome. Shouldn't cost much more either.
Old March 10, 2011, 08:35 AM
MVP

Just got the email I had sent azza support rplied and according to them anything under 180mm should fit. I also had an old H212 (not plus, it has the annoying metal wire fan clips), so I will be comparing the two. Il get the vendetta 2 as many many reviewers had way better results with it than even the ridiculously loud Tt frio, while costing next to nothing.

thx again all and sry soultribunal, I rly doubt I'll get the Z9. Although, from what I can see its real good value for the money (if u can get it arround 50$) I just can't stand the styling and the fact that u have to break off the pci expansion covers is rather meh in a world all other manufacturers try to make this very same aspect tool-less (I actually prefer thumb screws to most tool-less designs with the exception of lancool's pc-k60's).

Last edited by BrutalGreen; May 23, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old March 10, 2011, 08:54 AM
Top Prospect

xfx psu is good, it's rebranded seasonic psu.

personally don't like the azza cases much, I used to have helios 910 case
Old March 10, 2011, 08:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I had great results with the CM Hyper 212+, best air cooler for the money by far. The fan clips on easily.

I like that Azza case your looking at, I almost the Solano 1000 when I first appeared.

Like your setup except the motherboard..
Old March 10, 2011, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Azza doesn't factor in the side fan when taking measurements for CPU HSF clearance. It's always been a major issue with their cases. However with their latest design it seems they smartened up a bit and made a minor bulge in the side panel to accommodate the 200mm fan. I'd get a shorter Zalman HSF to avoid issues, any of the 150mm tall heatsinks will fit regardless of fan clearance and will perform adequately.
Old March 10, 2011, 09:13 AM
MVP

Edit: oops my bad its the solano i had with the nh-12p...

Last edited by BrutalGreen; March 10, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old March 10, 2011, 01:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
Just got the email I had sent azza support rplied and according to them anything under 180mm should fit. So, i think i wont even open my Z9 box when it arrives and send it right back (paying the 15% restocking fee). I also have an old H212 (not plus, it has the annoying metal wire fan clips), so I will be comparing the two. I got the vendetta 2 as many many reviewers had way better results with it than even my ridiculously loud Tt frio, while costing next to nothing.

I will be posting pick soon as everything arrives (expect open bench until the azza case becomes available for purchase).

thx again all and sry soultribunal, I rly doubt I'll even open the box on the Z9. Although, from what I can see its real good value for the money (if u can get it arround 50$) I just can't stand the styling and the fact that u have to break off the pci expansion covers is rather meh in a world all other manufacturers try to make this very same aspect tool-less (I actually prefer thumb screws to most tool-less designs with the exception of lancool's pc-k60's).

No worries mate, its the case you really wanted so, no hard feelings here hahaah. We each have our own tastes.

As for the expansion slots though. I actually prefer to screw my cards in now. I loved my scout, I loved my Apollo. But those tooless designs don't always fasten every card. I had to remove them from my A90 or I wouldn't have been able to keep the card in place.

Good luck,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 10, 2011, 05:28 PM
MVP

I don't like toolless either usually rather thumbscrews or good old screws, but the thing about the z9 is the slot covers are actually part of the metal from the case and have to be permanently broken off and too me that just sounds like a manufacturer massively cheaping out to keep costs down and makes me wonder where else they might have cheaped out on...