Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2011, 07:48 PM
Rookie

Default Antec Sonata III

Hi
I heard that the Antec Sonata III case had static issues but were fixed later on. How would I tell if the case has static issues or not.
I ask this because I'm looking to buy a used Sonata case with power supply for around $70 and I don't trust the seller.

So is there a way to tell just by looking if it was the old problematic case or new revised one?
Old February 21, 2011, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When you touche the case or the USB it will shutdown. but unless the case is from the first few batch, so almost 3 years old maybe a bit over the issue is gone.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 21, 2011, 08:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

does the case have a Quality assurance stamp somewheres he could take a picture of it? i believe it has a date on it. or does he have an original recepit?
Old February 21, 2011, 08:04 PM
NCIX System Builder

My System Specs

The new Sonata III's do not have that problem anymore, I've assembled quite a few without any static issues, the old ones had their standoffs attached directly to the case while the new ones have their own motherboard tray that is grounded.

Also, they make for nice cable management believe it or not.
Old February 21, 2011, 08:10 PM
Rookie

thanks for the quick reply guys but I'm still unsure of how to tell if it is first batch of case or fixed case.
It is sold individually so i can't power it on and touch it. Is there like a obvious difference in the design or something.
Sorry if I am noobish, I'm new to this stuff, first build.
Old February 21, 2011, 08:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belaud View Post
The new Sonata III's do not have that problem anymore, I've assembled quite a few without any static issues, the old ones had their standoffs attached directly to the case while the new ones have their own motherboard tray that is grounded.

Also, they make for nice cable management believe it or not.

that should be a tell-tale sign.
Old February 21, 2011, 08:16 PM
Rookie

ahhhh...
sry no idea what standoff and motherboard tray meant. Got it now
Thanks a bunch
Old February 21, 2011, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A new Sonata can be had ATM for $110-$20MIR, and has gone as low as $70+taxes/shipping. I'd reconsider my options if I were you, especially if you can't be sure what revision the seller is offering. Is there any specific reason why you want the Sonata? There are equally good cases and power supplies that can be had for about the same price brand new.
Old February 21, 2011, 08:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
A new Sonata can be had ATM for $110-$20MIR, and has gone as low as $70+taxes/shipping. I'd reconsider my options if I were you, especially if you can't be sure what revision the seller is offering. Is there any specific reason why you want the Sonata? There are equally good cases and power supplies that can be had for about the same price brand new.
Well i've got the revision figured out now. As for the price it is used and taxes are included. No shipping as it is local. As you can see it is good deal for a case with power supply.

I've searched literally hours for cases but the problem with newegg.ca or NCIX.com or tigerdirect is that all their cases ship for $20+, so a $50 case becomes 70$ taxes not included. If you can recommend an alternative for a fair price that would be awesome.

Going for a budget build (~$900) but able to last for 5+ years.
i5 2400 (w/ mobo of course, not sure which one yet as none are listed)
1TB HDD
Radeon 5670
4GB RAM
Old February 21, 2011, 08:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginnerbuild View Post
Well i've got the revision figured out now. As for the price it is used and taxes are included. No shipping as it is local. As you can see it is good deal for a case with power supply.

I've searched literally hours for cases but the problem with newegg.ca or NCIX.com or tigerdirect is that all their cases ship for $20+, so a $50 case becomes 70$ taxes not included. If you can recommend an alternative for a fair price that would be awesome.

Going for a budget build (~$900) but able to last for 5+ years.
i5 2400 (w/ mobo of course, not sure which one yet as none are listed)
1TB HDD
Radeon 5670
4GB RAM
not a bad setup, but i am questioning the video card, Video card and Cpu dont add up well, IMO you will have a bottle neck, try looking around on the BST here for a used 4870 or 5770...will be money well spent.