Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   Antec Sonata III (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/40994-antec-sonata-iii.html)

beginnerbuild February 21, 2011 06:48 PM

Antec Sonata III

Hi
I heard that the Antec Sonata III case had static issues but were fixed later on. How would I tell if the case has static issues or not.
I ask this because I'm looking to buy a used Sonata case with power supply for around $70 and I don't trust the seller.

So is there a way to tell just by looking if it was the old problematic case or new revised one?

martin_metal_88 February 21, 2011 06:50 PM

When you touche the case or the USB it will shutdown. but unless the case is from the first few batch, so almost 3 years old maybe a bit over the issue is gone.

maverick_brent February 21, 2011 07:02 PM

does the case have a Quality assurance stamp somewheres he could take a picture of it? i believe it has a date on it. or does he have an original recepit?

Brian@NCIX February 21, 2011 07:04 PM

The new Sonata III's do not have that problem anymore, I've assembled quite a few without any static issues, the old ones had their standoffs attached directly to the case while the new ones have their own motherboard tray that is grounded.

Also, they make for nice cable management believe it or not.

beginnerbuild February 21, 2011 07:10 PM

thanks for the quick reply guys but I'm still unsure of how to tell if it is first batch of case or fixed case.
It is sold individually so i can't power it on and touch it. Is there like a obvious difference in the design or something.
Sorry if I am noobish, I'm new to this stuff, first build.

maverick_brent February 21, 2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belaud (Post 488362)
The new Sonata III's do not have that problem anymore, I've assembled quite a few without any static issues, the old ones had their standoffs attached directly to the case while the new ones have their own motherboard tray that is grounded.

Also, they make for nice cable management believe it or not.

that should be a tell-tale sign.

beginnerbuild February 21, 2011 07:16 PM

ahhhh...
sry no idea what standoff and motherboard tray meant. Got it now
Thanks a bunch

ilya February 21, 2011 07:17 PM

A new Sonata can be had ATM for $110-$20MIR, and has gone as low as $70+taxes/shipping. I'd reconsider my options if I were you, especially if you can't be sure what revision the seller is offering. Is there any specific reason why you want the Sonata? There are equally good cases and power supplies that can be had for about the same price brand new.

beginnerbuild February 21, 2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 488372)
A new Sonata can be had ATM for $110-$20MIR, and has gone as low as $70+taxes/shipping. I'd reconsider my options if I were you, especially if you can't be sure what revision the seller is offering. Is there any specific reason why you want the Sonata? There are equally good cases and power supplies that can be had for about the same price brand new.

Well i've got the revision figured out now. As for the price it is used and taxes are included. No shipping as it is local. As you can see it is good deal for a case with power supply.

I've searched literally hours for cases but the problem with newegg.ca or NCIX.com or tigerdirect is that all their cases ship for $20+, so a $50 case becomes 70$ taxes not included. If you can recommend an alternative for a fair price that would be awesome.

Going for a budget build (~$900) but able to last for 5+ years.
i5 2400 (w/ mobo of course, not sure which one yet as none are listed)
1TB HDD
Radeon 5670
4GB RAM

maverick_brent February 21, 2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beginnerbuild (Post 488376)
Well i've got the revision figured out now. As for the price it is used and taxes are included. No shipping as it is local. As you can see it is good deal for a case with power supply.

I've searched literally hours for cases but the problem with newegg.ca or NCIX.com or tigerdirect is that all their cases ship for $20+, so a $50 case becomes 70$ taxes not included. If you can recommend an alternative for a fair price that would be awesome.

Going for a budget build (~$900) but able to last for 5+ years.
i5 2400 (w/ mobo of course, not sure which one yet as none are listed)
1TB HDD
Radeon 5670
4GB RAM

not a bad setup, but i am questioning the video card, Video card and Cpu dont add up well, IMO you will have a bottle neck, try looking around on the BST here for a used 4870 or 5770...will be money well spent.