Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2011, 07:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_brent View Post
not a bad setup, but i am questioning the video card, Video card and Cpu dont add up well, IMO you will have a bottle neck, try looking around on the BST here for a used 4870 or 5770...will be money well spent.
Definitely will keep that in mind. This site has given me new hope. Before I found this site an hour ago I knew I was way over budget but damn! All these people selling used stuff for half the price of new. Just made my day.
Old February 21, 2011, 07:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

its a great place man, i only have 30 posts but have been lurking around here for years, its a VERY active community and great people from my expirence!, cheers hope to see ya around,
Old February 21, 2011, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have any decent computer stores near where you live? If you don't mind disclosing your general location that wouldn't hurt either.
Reason I ask is because for a $900 budget, your build so far looks pretty overpriced. If you don't need to buy a monitor/keyboard/mouse, you can build a much more powerful system with $900. (unless that includes taxes, but in that case you could still do better)

Coolermaster Elite and Silverstone Precision series cases go for ~$35 on sale quite regularly, if you can't wait for one of those two, Thermaltake V3/V4's can be regularly had for under $40. If you can stretch your case budget, the Zalman Z9 Plus can be had for ~$50 and offers a ton more value.

There are some good Seasonic/FSP PSUs that can be had for under $40 as well. The Corsair Builder series takes the cake though, they can quite often be had for free or close to free after MIR, and their MIR's are very fast and reliable compared to other MIRs.

Right now on NCIX's sale page: NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster Elite 370 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 3X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS - COOLERMASTER - RC-370-KKN1 - in Canada
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan *2 Year Warranty* - CMPSU-430CX In Canada.
That's about $70+taxes/shipping, but shipping deals pop up quite often at NCIX so I don't see shipping as a huge issue. If you can wait, you can either order from NCIX or Memory Express when the right deal pops up.
Old February 22, 2011, 12:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Do you have any decent computer stores near where you live? If you don't mind disclosing your general location that wouldn't hurt either.
Reason I ask is because for a $900 budget, your build so far looks pretty overpriced. If you don't need to buy a monitor/keyboard/mouse, you can build a much more powerful system with $900. (unless that includes taxes, but in that case you could still do better)

Coolermaster Elite and Silverstone Precision series cases go for ~$35 on sale quite regularly, if you can't wait for one of those two, Thermaltake V3/V4's can be regularly had for under $40. If you can stretch your case budget, the Zalman Z9 Plus can be had for ~$50 and offers a ton more value.

There are some good Seasonic/FSP PSUs that can be had for under $40 as well. The Corsair Builder series takes the cake though, they can quite often be had for free or close to free after MIR, and their MIR's are very fast and reliable compared to other MIRs.

Right now on NCIX's sale page: NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster Elite 370 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 3X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS - COOLERMASTER - RC-370-KKN1 - in Canada
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan *2 Year Warranty* - CMPSU-430CX In Canada.
That's about $70+taxes/shipping, but shipping deals pop up quite often at NCIX so I don't see shipping as a huge issue. If you can wait, you can either order from NCIX or Memory Express when the right deal pops up.
I live in Ottawa, Ontario and around me there's PC Cyber and some small computer stores.
The $900 includes monitor, keyboard and mouse. Taxes and shipping included too hopefully.
So far I have already bought the monitor for $120 (20" Asus widescreen, was on sale at newegg).
But the case I mentioned above has already been sold to another customer .

I can definitely wait longer as the new mobos only come out next month.
I'm not looking for anything fancy for a case. At most I will need 2 internal HDD bays and 2 5.25" slots for DVD readers. Something in the range of the mid tower ATX cases. All I ask for is that the case is sturdy and at least looks good. I really want a simplistic but stylish case, like the Dell XPS 8100. That's why I like the antec sonata, simple yet elegant. Some of the gaming cases look like ugly dark concrete blocks.
Old February 23, 2011, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you haven't gotten a hold of a case:

NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster Elite 370 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 3X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS - COOLERMASTER - RC-370-KKN1 - in Canada

That's the lowest I've seen that case at so far, great value, good quality, decent aesthetics.

Lot's of free shipping promos at NCIX's sale this week too. If you can fit it in your budget: NCIX.com - Buy MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr OC 880MHZ 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E Video Card - MSI/MicroStar - N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC - in Canada
I would consider going with an AMD quad core or Intel i3 dual core with 4 threads to squeeze out some budget room if you want to go with that GPU.

NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 P55 CrossFireX Motherboard & Intel Core i5 760 - Bundle Deals - GA-P55A-UD3 & Core i5 760 - in Canada
Decent bundle, free shipping for your order.
Old February 23, 2011, 08:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
If you haven't gotten a hold of a case:

NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster Elite 370 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 3X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS - COOLERMASTER - RC-370-KKN1 - in Canada

That's the lowest I've seen that case at so far, great value, good quality, decent aesthetics.

Lot's of free shipping promos at NCIX's sale this week too. If you can fit it in your budget: NCIX.com - Buy MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr OC 880MHZ 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E Video Card - MSI/MicroStar - N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC - in Canada
I would consider going with an AMD quad core or Intel i3 dual core with 4 threads to squeeze out some budget room if you want to go with that GPU.

NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 P55 CrossFireX Motherboard & Intel Core i5 760 - Bundle Deals - GA-P55A-UD3 & Core i5 760 - in Canada
Decent bundle, free shipping for your order.
How about this? coolermaster 310 w/ 420W PSU
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Elite 310 RC-310-BKR2-GP Black with blue front panel Steel Body / ABS plastic front bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply
$59.99 + $3.99 Shipping.
Apparantly SATA cables are too short from the comments left, no idea if that applies to me. Help?

Do you think the 420W PSU will hold if the build is
i5 2400 (w/ entry level mobo)
Radeon 5670 (I know i know bad gpu and processor combination but it's all i need for now)
1 1TB HDD
Gskill 4GB RAM
1 DVD drive
and coolermaster 212+ heatsink

Last edited by beginnerbuild; February 23, 2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:37 PM
NCIX System Builder

My System Specs

The corsair builder series are a little lacking in terms of quality, had to RMA 3 of the 20 I assembled last week for a batch order.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:54 PM
Top Prospect

Maybe you bought a bad batch?

Anyways, the 420W PSU will be fine.
Old February 23, 2011, 11:03 PM
NCIX System Builder

My System Specs

Possibly, but that was a random grabs batch from the warehouse, all of them dont have the same corresponding B/N. But, I may have grabbed the bad one from all the batches :P
Old March 1, 2011, 03:31 PM
Rookie

I am not sure if this is allowed, so please forgive me, but I am selling my system with an Antec Sonata III case for $250 and I am in Ottawa. I was hoping not to have to piece up my system but I have to get 25 posts on here to post the system up for sale. Frustrating.. Here is my system, If you take that video card of mine and put a new card like a 6850 in it ($170) then you will be able to play pretty much every game currently out on highest settings and at 1920x1080. Obivously not 60 fps for certain games (Metro/Crysis) but I have played Metro and Just Cause at the highest settings possible (with lowered AA) and it is quite smooth.

Anyways, if you are interested in my case/power supply let me know.

Andrew

Sonata III Case - bought some extra fans to put in.

Antec Earthwathwatts 500W PS (came with case)

Asus P5K Motherboard

Intel e6550 3.2 GHZ

4 GB DDR2-800 RAM

320 GB WD 7200 RPM Hard drive (Vista Ultimate on it. Not sure how it works since this copy has my name attached to it no? I can wipe the hard drive. I am not even using it, it is sitting on my desk)

Arctic Silver Freezer 7 Pro

Nvidia GT 210 (Backup video card. Taking my video Card with me)

LG 22x DVD Drive

Microsoft Keyboard and Optical Mouse