Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2011, 06:13 AM
Top Prospect

Default Haf x top optional fan

hey guys i am going to build a new PC with a Haf x and i am think about installing the top optional fan as an intake fan i know this is not a good place for an intake it was made for an exhaust fan. my question is :
should i put it as an intake or as an exhaust to get the best temps ? and i have another question about the case, i can not find it in the specs but, is there a 3.5 inch external bay adapter ?

thanks in advance
Old February 13, 2011, 06:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For most people positive air pressure should give better performance, but that would depend on the rest of your cooling setup. If you don't have any major airflow obstructions like a large tower cooler, flat IDE/floppy cables, and multiple 12" graphics cards, I would set the top fans as exhaust for negative pressure. Dust is going to build up in a case like the HAF-X, regardless of positive/negative pressure. If the best performance is a major concern, experiment with different fan configurations and compare your results.

As for the drive bays, the HAF-X doesn't come with an external hot swap like some of the other CM cases did. It has 2x 5.25" internal drive bays that can be used as hot swappable 3.5" drive bays.
Old February 13, 2011, 08:47 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
For most people positive air pressure should give better performance, but that would depend on the rest of your cooling setup. If you don't have any major airflow obstructions like a large tower cooler, flat IDE/floppy cables, and multiple 12" graphics cards, I would set the top fans as exhaust for negative pressure. Dust is going to build up in a case like the HAF-X, regardless of positive/negative pressure. If the best performance is a major concern, experiment with different fan configurations and compare your results.

As for the drive bays, the HAF-X doesn't come with an external hot swap like some of the other CM cases did. It has 2x 5.25" internal drive bays that can be used as hot swappable 3.5" drive bays.
i think i will try both setups and see which is better but i assume that it will positive pressure.
about the bays, i am talking about the fixed ones like the Floppy disk thing, to make things easier :
the P8P67 Deluxe comes with a front USB 3 that is installed in 3.5 inch bay, so is there is room for that
Old February 13, 2011, 09:15 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I believe the HAF X has USB 3.0 headers, so you wouldn't need to use that breakout box that Asus provides.
Mind you, that thing doesn't work properly anyway. Asus has some bugs to work out as my front USB3 breakout box seems to only function at USB2 speeds.
Old February 13, 2011, 09:36 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
I believe the HAF X has USB 3.0 headers, so you wouldn't need to use that breakout box that Asus provides.
Mind you, that thing doesn't work properly anyway. Asus has some bugs to work out as my front USB3 breakout box seems to only function at USB2 speeds.
ouch, thanks ..i only wanted extra ports but after knowing that it has issues then no thanks :D
Old February 16, 2011, 05:21 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Intake from the bottom, exhaust from the top.
I just got a Haf X and moved the side fan to the top. Replaced the side fan with a 200mm Mega flow blue LED and it looks great.
Temps are down/great. Case is quiet. Did I mention it looks awesome:)