Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2011, 02:57 PM
Trial Member

Arrow HELP!! Going NUTS over case and powersupply selection... :(

Hi all,

I am trying to build a custom AMD/ATI system for mostly work (analysis of large amounts of data), and some gaming (would like to play games like Assassins Creed)

I have the following requirements for the case:
-- Front panel must work (usb ports and audio ports etc). Seeing a lot of comments on newegg about cooler master cases having a problem with the front panel due to grounding issues
-- Case must not reboot on touching it (with some static electricity due to walking on carpet) .. again newegg has people complaining that their cooler master cases can reboot just by touching them
-- Must have decent and quiet air flow
-- Must have easily cleanable dust filters (would prefer that over having to open the rig and clean that)
-- must have good wire routing
-- must have bottom mount power supply
-- (if powersupply has a fan at top/bottom the case should have space in the bottom to allow it to suck up air from outside the box)

Case + power supply should be about $150

Case must have enough space for the Hyper 212+ CPU cooler, and perhaps a big GFX card that I may buy later on in future

I have spent more hours than I can afford searching for a suitable case. I short listed the following but none of them meet my specs:
-- Cooler master HAF 912 (not sure if its easy to clean dust filters, top of the case has a huge space that needs 2 fans or a huge fan to cover up... not sure if front panel would fail like in other CM models)
-- Cooler master 690 II Advanced (not sure if its easy to clean dust filters, concerns over CM's bad reputation with front panel failures)
-- Antec 300 (major concern with routing wiring... dust filters.. and also does not have hole in the base to allow power supply to suck air from outside the box)
-- Antec DF 30 (major concern with wire routing and no space in the bottom of the case to align with power supply fan) LOVE the dust filters with the DF series.. seem to be easy to clean and replace

Can anyone please suggest a case that meets at least the dust, noise, and wire routing requirements? I am thinking about sacrificing the preference of having a place in the bottom of the case for the powersupply to suck air from...

Easily clean able dust filters are a MUST have....

thanks for the help! hope I can finalize soon as I need to buy it asap..
Old February 10, 2011, 04:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

silverstone raven rv02-E does what your asking except its around the $189 range and the PSU is top mount
note the E model is the one you want as it has the extra space for dual cards.
dust filters are simple slide out and blow em out/vacuum however you choose.
you do however have to remove the side to do so. its a simple 2 thumb screws tilt and the side is off.
Attached Images

Old February 10, 2011, 05:03 PM
Banned
F@H

Case + power supply should be about $150

haf 912 under 50 bucks, and for psu...hmm....maybe a 750-850 watt corsair?
Old February 10, 2011, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lian Li but in steel and cheeper

On sale at NciX

NCIX.com - Buy Lancool PC-K62 Black ATX Advanced Mid Tower Case 5X5.25 4X3.5INT No PS USB Audio - PC-K62 In Canada.

Review

Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62 Case Review
Old February 10, 2011, 07:29 PM
Top Prospect

Thumbs up on Lancool K-62. $70 case + $80 650W XFX PSU (with a $20 MIR) fits right in your budget.

Also, I've used a CM 690 II Advanced for the past 6 months, and have experienced no issues with the front panel. The dust filters are easy to remove but if you're not careful you'll tear them by accident (long story short, the bottom filter was so well camouflaged with the case...yea).

Tags
case , dust , noise , power supply