Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2011, 08:39 AM
Rookie

Default Case for graphics workstation build

My wife is in need of a computer that will run Maya 3D and other graphics applications. We also need a replacement for our aging desktop. So...I have been doing research and decided to run a Sandy Bridge processor and a Nvidia Quadro 4000 gpu. I was told that the Quadro 4000 is designed to run hot but think it couldn't hurt to have a well vented case. My tastes run on the conservative side...but think a window would be cool since this will be my first build. I don't want anything too large...nor too small. want dust filters and all the cool features the case fairey wants to provide. I'm looking for quality and value. Just like everyone else right?

Anyway, I have narrowed my search down to three cases. It's not that I won't consider other cases...it's just that I think these are my three favorites so far.

1. The new Silverstone Raven R02B-EW. This newer version is out of stock on Amazon right now...but unlike the normal version it has room for up to 5 hard drives. It lost an expansion slot but gained Silverstones top of the line 180mm penetrator fans. It's unorthodox but the cooling looks top notch and the design and quality seem to be up to speed. I said just a few weeks ago that if the Raven R02 could hold more than just 3 drives I would think it the perfect option for my build. I still hesitate to finalize my decision though! Maybe it's the fact that it's over 25 inches deep?

2. Next is a case that hasn't been released yet. The Corsair 650D. It's officially announced for April but I have read it will more likely be available in late Feb/early March. It has the lates USB 3.0 front ports...a cool look (it's in the Obsidian Series)...and seems to be builder friendly. It also looks very up to date with great features. My only concern is that it's basically a 600T with a different facade. No word on the fans yet...if they are like the anemic ones in the 600T or if they move more air. Again...not sure how important air movement is for my purposes. I might even go with the 600T if it weren't for my personal taste saying otherwise.

3. Last...the Lian Li Lancool PC-62. The video here on HWC made me fall in love. It looks so user friendly for a first build. But..even with the generous fans it is unclear about how good airflow is....and how it might compare to the other cases in this post. It is definitely more affordable! If I was sure of good airflow i might be more inclined to go this route. If Lian Li made the same case in an aluminum design....same number of fans and identical interior that would be compelling as well.

When I'm done...I want my wife to be happy...and I want to feel good with no regrets on choice. I may want to use this case for another build down the road...so I want to get it right.

For some reason the choice of which case to use has been the hardest part of my build! All opinions are welcome. Thanks!
Old January 31, 2011, 10:08 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiron View Post
2. Next is a case that hasn't been released yet. The Corsair 650D. It's officially announced for April but I have read it will more likely be available in late Feb/early March. It has the lates USB 3.0 front ports...a cool look (it's in the Obsidian Series)...and seems to be builder friendly. It also looks very up to date with great features. My only concern is that it's basically a 600T with a different facade. No word on the fans yet...if they are like the anemic ones in the 600T or if they move more air. Again...not sure how important air movement is for my purposes. I might even go with the 600T if it weren't for my personal taste saying otherwise.
interesting i wasn't aware that corsair was planning on releasing this case!

the only thing stopping me from getting an graphite 600t was it's ugly aesthetics, but the 650d is quite sexy i must say...too bad it isn't out until April.

EDIT: a little info on the fans:

Quote:
As for the new fans, they're roughly 1000 RPM (vs 700-800 RPM for the 600T fans).
from this thread: Corsair Obsidian 650D Mid-Tower - Page 5 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Old January 31, 2011, 10:45 AM
Rookie

In another forum on another site a representive of Corsair said that the 650D should be available in the US in either late Feb or early March. I think this is probably for North America and Canada might also get in on the same time frame. It's tempting isn't it? :-) I'm hoping I get some people with experience with the other two cases...or more thoughts on the 650D. I wonder if the new fans and the increased air flow will equal better cooling...or similar to the 600T?
Old January 31, 2011, 04:57 PM
Rookie

Just an update. Today I went to Fry's and got a first hand look at the Raven R02. I wasn't overly impressed with it in cosmetic terms. I hesitate to say it's out of the running because it's a unique and very efficient design. I didn't see any cases from Lian Li...so no looking at the PC-K62. But I did get to see an 800D. Nice finish...classy looking case. Makes me think the 650D could be well worth waiting for! The 600T was pretty nice...but not compelling for me. One of the cases that impressed me the most...for it's size and overall aesthetics was the CM 690II.

Really, it appears that the Corsair 650D, Lancool PC-K62....and even the Coolermaster 690II are in the running. One other surprise....the Antec 900 looked attractive...but smaller than I expected. The HAF cases looked better than I expected...not as cheesy as in photo's.

decisions decisions....
Old January 31, 2011, 06:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

as a current owner of an antec 900 I would advise against it. like you said: its very small on the inside, poor cable management unless you drill holes (pr pick up revision 2). It does offer excellent cooling, but I imagine the CM690II would be somewhat similar in that regard, but with more features and fewer pitfalls
Old January 31, 2011, 08:41 PM
Rookie

You know....I think it's finally happened. While the Lancool PC-K62 is probably an awesome case...I think the promise of the 650D looks great. Basically the inside of a 600T with better fans...and the classy exterior of the other Obsidian series cases. For my needs this case looks like the perfect fit! Today when I saw how deep the R02 was and how this case sizes up I think the die was cast. Of course I will be taking a chance before user reviews....but think I will order this case as soon as it's available. I think the only modification I might want to do is add twin 140s to the top in place of the 200mm fan. Of course this might create more negative case pressure....perhaps not a good thing...but that's probably a question for another thread.