Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   Silverstone / Lian Li cases with USB 3.0? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/40343-silverstone-lian-li-cases-usb-3-0-a.html)

Socrates_Johnston January 30, 2011 08:08 AM

Silverstone / Lian Li cases with USB 3.0?

hey all.

been shopping around for a case to house the new(ish) build I have been amassing parts for. I want to drop a fair amount of $$ on this case as I intend for it to last at least 1-2 builds after my current build.

I want to get either a larger-mid tower or a full tower. Lian Li and Silverstone are the two brands I have an affinity for, but it does not appear that either company offers a case with USB 3.0 front ports.

The lack of USB3.0 isn't a deal breaker necessarily (I know the obsidian and HAF-X both have USB 3.0 ports, but neither of those cases "do it" for me). Should I expect either Lian Li or Silverstone to release a new or rehashed line-up with USB3.0 capability some time in the near future?

edit: the new silverstone ft-03 has usb 3.0 connectors, as do some lian li mATX/HTPC cases, but I am looking for something BIGGAR

CMetaphor January 30, 2011 08:23 AM

dunno about Silverstone, but i know LiLi offers replacement front panel connectors for some of their cases with USB 3.0. Worth checking out?

Empty_Quarter January 30, 2011 08:39 AM

I agree with CMetaphor, Lian Li does carry the replacement panel, looking into getting that myself for my next rig overhaul.

Gotta love lian li and the fact they sell accessories for their cases.

You might have to get that from performance-pcs.com, only store i know that carries them, then again, I haven't really looked around.

headsh0t January 30, 2011 12:58 PM

My case has two USB 3.0 connectors on the top. Not sure if it is as big you'd like, but its fine for me. Lian Li PC8FI. The PC-A77F also has four USB 3.0 connections. Just take a look at the Lian-Li site and see which ones have USB 3.0 for yourself. Too lazy to check the Silverstone website for you, so I guess you can do that :D

Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd.

Socrates_Johnston January 30, 2011 01:38 PM

thanks. I see that almost all of the new cases from Lian Li support USB 3.0, although newegg and canada computers don't carry them quite yet

silverstone sells this piece for their cases that don't have usb 3.0:

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd - Designing Inspiration

FredDurstIsStillCool January 30, 2011 07:59 PM

Don't really like that Silverstone piece.

Here's a question though. Has anyone seen an adapter from a female USB 3.0 plug to an internal header? Since the early cases used that pass through it'd be nice to have the option to change it to be compatible with an internal header if you get a new motherboard...

Malam February 5, 2011 05:48 PM

I just completed a build using the Lian Li PC-V1020 and it has 4 USB 3 ports at the top of the case. Its a beautiful case and do recommend it. Got is from Canada Computers.

The_LP24 February 12, 2011 01:32 PM

yea we should be dropping usb 2.0 cases and start making usb 3.0
especially after ces 2011 lol

Eluder February 12, 2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malam (Post 482651)
I just completed a build using the Lian Li PC-V1020 and it has 4 USB 3 ports at the top of the case. Its a beautiful case and do recommend it. Got is from Canada Computers.

Any chance you could post some pics of the build?
Inside with the cover off to see how things fit as well as the outside?

Thanks.

tragd February 14, 2011 02:30 PM

i have a wc build in a lian li pc-7fnwx.
if anyone interested in buying the case off me, let me know.