Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   Silverstone Fortress 3 mATX Case (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/40237-silverstone-fortress-3-matx-case.html)

Grampa January 26, 2011 01:01 PM

Silverstone Fortress 3 mATX Case

3 Attachment(s)
Just a few teaser shots.

Please excuse the craptacular photography, and also the mess around the case/box, as well as the yucky looking bezel of the fireplace. I was only using an ancient Canon point and shoot, and just tossed everything down by the fireplace for a quick shot.

I'll update later on with my experiences, and some pics for those who are interested.
I was thinking of using this as either a small HTPC box, or using it as a small rendering box (I have spare 1156 & 1366 parts to muck around with).

Cheers! :thumb:

ilya January 26, 2011 01:32 PM

I don't get how anybody can stomach the price on this thing. I myself have been waiting for this case to launch since Computex last year and still think it's way overpriced. The original design was supposed to be pure aluminum with AP121 fans, but they had to cut costs to bring the price down. After that price cut it's still sitting at a $170 MSRP, $155 at BD. /endrant

I'm probably still going to buy it though, my bad case addiction is shifting from cheapo NZXT cases to overpriced Silverstone cases. :doh:

So far it seems NCIX has only sold 2 out of the 6 they had in stock and it's been a week, I'm assuming you're one of those two. Let me know how the build goes. :biggrin: Not that I'm interested...:whistle::ph34r:

BTW my grandpa has the exact same fireplace.

JD January 26, 2011 03:17 PM

It's still wrapped in aluminum though, so I don't think $155 is too unreasonable. I believe my FT01BW is built in the same fashion and I paid close to $300 for it I think after taxes?

Looking forward to the build. I'm thinking about building a Sandy Bridge system in one of them, but then I'd have my LGA1366 i7 here too...but I want new hardware! :whistle:

What I'm mainly curious of is if a Corsair H70 can fit inside it. I believe it does judging by this system: Desktops - Black|Ops

Grampa January 26, 2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 478749)
It's still wrapped in aluminum though, so I don't think $155 is too unreasonable. I believe my FT01BW is built in the same fashion and I paid close to $300 for it I think after taxes?

My exact thinking.
I tend to lean towards Aluminum cases myself, and anything under $250 I consider quite reasonable.

Much like a lot of folks here on HWC I like to tinker with different products.
So I thought I'd give this case a try.
I had pre-ordered the case a while back.
Yes, I was one of the people that had it ordered from NCIX :haha:

As for the H70, I happen to have one kicking around (among others...:whistle: along with different varieties of fans & cabling)
I'll try to fit one in there and take some photos.
I'll also try an H50, D14 (if it fits), Megahalems, as well as a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for those that are interested in seeing if "X" heatsink fits in the case.

True, the looks of the case may not necessarily be to everyone's liking, but I think it has its charm.

I am working a couple of 24hr shifts at the hospital the next few days, so I may not update until sometime next week, however I'll keep this posting updated as I can.

Cheers!

Grampa January 26, 2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 478700)
BTW my grandpa has the exact same fireplace.

Perhaps you are my grandchild??? :shok::shok::shok:
:haha:

lowfat January 26, 2011 09:12 PM

I think it is a fantastic looking case and very well engineered. Hell I generally hate the 90˚ invert Silverstone has decided to do lately, but this one isn't all that bad. Shame I have absolutely zero need for another MATX system though.

JD January 28, 2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grampa (Post 478778)
As for the H70, I happen to have one kicking around (among others...:whistle: along with different varieties of fans & cabling)
I'll try to fit one in there and take some photos.
I'll also try an H50, D14 (if it fits), Megahalems, as well as a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for those that are interested in seeing if "X" heatsink fits in the case.
!

That sounds great! Looking forward to it.

Slaughter January 28, 2011 11:42 AM

Definitely looks interesting! Can't wait to see more :D

ilya January 29, 2011 04:51 AM

I gave in... got the silver one.

First impressions:
The exterior is quite a beauty in good sunlight, too bad I won't be taking it outside much, would have preferred brushed aluminum over sandblasted.
The aluminum shell is pointlessly thick, the front/back panels are thicker than any Lian Li case I've come across and steps into Windy territory. Side panels are slightly thinner but still a good 2mm.
The interior is cheaply built, they only put half a layer of powder coated white paint on the motherboard tray, most of the other inside parts are only a full single layer with a gloss finish.
Most of the case is very well thought out, very few rivets used, too many screws, and installation seems easy but time consuming.

Pics to come.

Grampa February 2, 2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 479563)
I gave in... got the silver one.

:haha:

Welcome!! Welcome!!:biggrin:

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist.

Just a word to those who are looking at getting this case.
If you do happen to opt for the slim Silverstone branded optical drive.
Be prepared to shell out about 3x what you would normally pay for a dvd writer.
I searched around for a while to no avail, before picking it up locally at Memory Express.
$69.99 retail before taxes.

There are better solutions though, if you absolutely MUST use a dvd drive.
eg. hook up an external drive through the usb ports would save you a lot more money.
I'm slowly working my way through, and taking pics along the way, noting any quirks I'm having with installation of any components.
I'll post more info later.