Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2011, 12:35 PM
Top Prospect

Red face Corsair CC600T or Cooler Master Haf X 942?

Hi everybody! (*best Dr. Nick Riviera impersonation voice*)

I have two cases sitting next to the door at the moment, a Corsair CC600T and a Cooler Master Haf X, and I have to decide which one to keep, and which one to sell.

Torn between the two so I figured I'd toss a thread up and let everyone chime in. Which case do you prefer between the two? I love the ease of access of the Corsair, but I also love the solid metal construction of the Haf X and the features like the hotswap bays.
Old January 15, 2011, 01:32 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Interesting - TBH I never thought of the two as competitors. I would have thought they targeted entirely different markets.

The HAF-X simply by the nature of its design favours the extreme enthusiast build, better airflow, easier to work with water cooling, more room for larger hardware and custom modification.

The 600T in my opinion is a bit of a "cleaner" look, while it is still easy to work I still find the HAF-X a bit nicer to work in, and to be honest, airflow & comparison between the two is non existent. The 600T works, but imo, cooling is a bit of a afterthought.

Last edited by FiXT; January 15, 2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old January 15, 2011, 01:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

HAF X for performance/airflow/room/BIG
600T for style/Not too big/cable management

The airflow in the 600T is not the best, the HAF X is simply the best at airflow.

Really depends what you want and what you are locking for and what you put in it.

Like FiXT said:

Quote:
Interesting - TBH I never thought of the two as competitors. I would have thought they targeted to entirely different markets.
Old January 15, 2011, 01:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

what will you be planning on putting in these cases?

I think this will be the determining factor for this debate
Old January 15, 2011, 02:14 PM
Top Prospect

You're right FixT, an odd comparison to be sure. I got both at decent prices so ended up with an odd choice. For now I'm likely to toss in an AMD 1090T with a M4A89GTD, with an OC to 4GHz w/VCore 1.41V. Might be able to get a cheap HD5770 or GTX 460 but that's not the main concern at the moment since I haven't gamed in 3 years now =(. All air cooling, with no plans for water cooling or modding. About 5-6 hard drives, 4 optical drives.

This PC is likely going to be a hobbyist server for Oracle, MySQL, and various web server apps like Weblogic, Apache, IIS etc. Also likely to do a lot of development work, mainly with Microsoft Win and Web apps, so Visual Studio, SSRS, MSSQL stuff, with subversion and sprinting tools installed.

I'd dearly love to get a nice i7 build going but funds are low, and I have the other parts lying around at hand at the moment, there's only a small chance I might sell them and do an Intel build.

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm likely going to set it up to do Folding over the weekends...FAH has killed 3 computers of mines on the 3 times I've tried to set it up, so 4th time's the charm
Old January 15, 2011, 05:27 PM
Top Prospect

CM HAF X is a good case but god it is UGLY! I hate the look of the front panel, but in terms of cooling, it is top notch.
Old January 15, 2011, 06:04 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You are doing hardcore FAH'ing? Even part time fahi'ing = the HAF X by a country MILE. You will need ALL the air movement you can get. Hell drop in the extra internal fan to get even more air on to the GPU's (say a good 2k+ rpm fan).

Also with the hot swaps you could easily config the system as your server on HDD "A", then the FAH'ing (for example) on HDD "B", etc etc and just swap them in as needed. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 19, 2011, 09:47 AM
Rookie

yea sounds like you want to keep the haf x. the look is hit or miss, some like the rugged look, some dont. the haf x will cool better on air for sure, and if you ever do change your mind about water cooling, you dont have to worry about getting a new case.

since you are going to fold, you want a case with great airflow. the 600T does have decent airflow, but id say no where near what the haf X can do. it has some nice massive fans that push good air.
Old January 19, 2011, 03:16 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I spent alot of time looking at cases and finally went with the Corsair 600T myself. It is a HUGE case, the reviewers were right to call it cavernous. Its always best to see the cases for yourself in store to realize if what you have will fit in those boxes. Honestly though, the 600T is a bit noisier than i thought mainly because the mesh lets alot of sound through and the 200 mm fans aren't quiet either even at lowest fan speed even though they push alot of air.
Old January 20, 2011, 08:47 AM
Top Prospect

Yeah, it looks like I'm going to hold onto the Haf X, I think it's attractive myself, though it's freaking HUGE. The 600T is just a beautiful case though, not as tall, but very wide and it is "cavernous", easiest case I've ever had to work with, I can do a standard build in that in under 10 minutes. Well it's going to a nice home so no worries.

I do dislike the red LEDs in the CM case though, might grab a few pricematched 200mm blue fans and swap them out, and maybe visit the local Source and solder in blue LEDs on the 230mm fan. I've also noticed a CM Storm Scout possible PM to NCIX for $69 shipped, might have a go at that for another build, though I doubt they'll accept it.

Anyone want to buy some CM 140MM - 200MM red LED and normal unlit/black fans?

Thanks for all the input guys.