Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2010, 06:32 PM
Top Prospect

Default A 'new' V2000?

So at the risk of sounding like 'everything he talks about relates back to phase change' I wanted to see if anyone knew what's out there.

My favorite mod for phase was always the Lian Li V2000 (like X2000 or A210) and the Tagan black pearl was a good clone but it looks like it's not being made anymore either.

The X2000 can be had, but it's over 500 bucks so it makes it a little pricey.

Anyone know of a case out there that's a full tower, where they've given you a big compartment on the bottom? Or even on the top, enough to build in a plate for a cooler install?

Basically need something like 7 or 8" somewhere, compressors tend to be a bit tall.

The X1000/V1000 might work with a bit of modding for a cooler with a really small compressor, but the size goes up pretty fast when you get into the midrange of quiet compressors and it'd be cool to have a case that would be more versatile.

I'd never heard of the Tagan clone before and it was a pretty reasonable price considering, the Lian was 400 bucks new, and the Tagan was under 300 when they made it.

Maybe someone's seen a case that seemed stupidly big on the bottom. That's kind of what I'm looking for :D

Don't mind buying a used V2000 or whatever if I have to, but a 'new' option would be really nice and I just can't find anything except the X2000 and over 500 seems just a bit rich.

Gray
Old December 22, 2010, 08:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Silverstone TJ07 with the HDD cages removed. It's what Coolit uses for their custom Boreas builds.

NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Temjin TJ07B Black E-ATX Aluminum Case 7X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS - TJ07B In Canada.

Here's my build log, should give you an idea of size available down there. Just ask if you want any measurements. SugarJ's "Nemesis Reborn" or just another TJ07 build
Old December 22, 2010, 10:33 PM
Top Prospect

Looks like about 4 or 5 inches down there?

Miiight work for some small compressors. I'll have to have a look at some of the small ones here, and exactly how short I can get away with.

I noticed the V1000 series/X1000 have that kind of space too, but was hoping for a tiny bit more. 6 or 7 inches would be awesome, but it's pushing what I can find.

Could you measure the exact height of that bottom section, from the floor to upper plate? I looked for measurements but it looks like they measure from the rail instead of the base.

I'm thinking it may be something I could do, put larger wheels onto a case like this, and lower the floor just where the compressor goes. Then the outer finish could stay the way it is, so no hacking the case up to any great extent.

Nice though, and those are great cases for modding up. Thanks J :)

Gray
Old December 22, 2010, 10:46 PM
Top Prospect

Something else I've thought about is the whole 'chop the case in half' setup.

Never did it, but when the TT shark was out and since it was cheap, cutting one down to a phase case size to go under the PC was a thought. Even getting one and modding the front onto a phase case I have was an option, but got so busy that I never explored it.

Problem with that is you have to buy 2 cases and that means looking at the under 200 dollar ones. Spending 800 or more seems a bit extravagant.

I'm really looking to when I build one for myself (though if anyone likes it, it's an option) and building right into a case is really nice.

I can see some that they give you a big space up top and some plates mean it could go it, but you do end up pretty top heavy. Into the base is always the better and easier choice.

I've seen a few MM cases that had potential for sectioning off the one corner for phase too. I just haven't seen a lot of 'where to buy' on those. Dimensions are never my friend so I need to be able to check them pretty close.

Building into a case that's just generally big might work, but the compressors always throw off heat, so it needs to be a separate chamber. A person 'can' put the pieces of phase all over, just like watercooling. Just a matter of knowing there's a larger section to a case where the compressor can go and not heat up the rest of it.

I remember doing this a while back and not getting all that far, but now that I've been playing with smaller compressors, the Silverstone and a few others could be an option for it.

Gray
Old December 22, 2010, 11:04 PM
Top Prospect

I just measured the smallest of the compressors, and 6" is about as short as I could just 'bolt in' a compressor.

The option is there to cut a hole up top and put in a box for the top though.

That Silverstone looks like you have a bit of room above the plate for something like that. Wouldn't be hard to fabricate a box to cover it up.

You're close too :D so I may just hit you up to come and have a look sometime.

Gonna have to go and recheck all the measurements I can find on these ones now. When I was looking before I was basing it on the NF9/NL11 danfoss compressors, which are a bit bigger but also the best of the compressors for CPU cooling. Now that I know what these smaller compressors can do I think they're a decent alternative for a small clean install. I'm sort of the same way in my thinking on phase as some of you guys.

I want colder of course, but if I get -20ish load temps instead of -30 I'm fine with that. 10 degrees isn't a huge increase and the overclock is still great. It's the fact of having it in there that my bigger concern. I like using phase :D

So yeah, anyone knows of potentials, would love to hear more :)

Gray
Old December 30, 2010, 12:52 PM
Top Prospect

Turned out my Brother's tower is an Antec P183.

A bit boring really, but it's got the 'base chamber' setup, and I've been measuring it and it's got 6" exactly in the base area below the plate :D

Antec - P183

So it's got potential, though the usual issues are there with the PSU location, but I think that if it were a fully integrated cooler, it would work fine.

By fully integrated, I mean that the cooler really is part of the case when done, and not a 'cartridge' fit like the V2000 mod ends up being. The parts end up going into different areas where fitting works, and the pipework is done as best as possible to be invisible. It ends up like a water system that way. But if you have to do it that way, it also ends up fitting the cpu better in it's own way, since you're not trying to locate things as precisely you can be more versatile in it's install.

As long as you can stay out of the way of the PC. :D Would be silly to end up not being able to put a full size graphics card or upgrade a psu because of it :p

But he's just put in a larger 1kw psu, so I can get the sizing of the front area of the bottom, and work out exactly the space that's left. I think that a small compressor (1/5hp max, like the one in the quad compressor test bed) would fit along with a condensor and fan in the front, and then the pipework would need to be run elsewhere. I'd love to see a second condensor somewhere else as well, maybe on the top. May even be able to do a full flat horizontally designed condensor up there, just like a watercooling rad would mount, but it's got to be made for horizontal installs.

So I may have found a 'winner' for this project, just need to find one used/cheap to hack up and try out.

Not sure how common these are, but I saw something like 150 bucks new in a quick look, so if they're actually available then that'd be cool :)

Gray
Old December 30, 2010, 12:58 PM
Top Prospect

Ah, looking closer I think his is the P193. Pretty sure his is the ugly side panel, and from the pics on their site, looks like a touch more room in the base in the 193 version, which is likely why it's at 6".

Will have to see if I can get sizes on the P183/193 versions for sure, and make sure I can work with the most space I can get.

Gray