Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 21, 2010, 08:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Smallest ATX Case that will fit 5870 and Megahalems

Hey Everyone,

I'm getting shipped up to a jobsite for the next 6 months and will be living in a camp room that will not be PC space friendly. There's just no way I can fit my Raven case in there. Anyone have any good suggestions for a smaller ATX case that will fit a 5870 and hopefully be wide enough for me to keep using the Megashadow cooler?

The cooler isn't make or break, I'll swap to a smaller one if I have to. I don't even care if it has a 5.25 bay or not, as long as it's got a bit of space without being massive and 3 3.25" drives I'll make due.

Thanks again,

Last edited by FreeKnight; December 21, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old December 21, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Problem isn't the Megahalems, it's the 5870. Is it a reference design? Meaning does it have the power connectors at the side or at sticking out the end of the card? Also, does it have the reference shroud that makes the card longer?

I would probably go for a cheap NZXT case, those list compatibility with video cards and all the mid towers will be able to fit the Meghalems. Plus, it's a decent temporary solution. Just don't expect anything good.

Or you could get an el cheapo no name brand case and cut out the HDD bay, as long as the case is at least 180mm wide you should be able to fit the cooler. (might have to remove a side fan though, if it has one)

I'd suggest something like a CM Elite or Silverstone Precision, but those are typically deeper and wider than the cheap NZXT's.

EDIT: ahh looked at your system specs right after, 10.5", most NZXT cases support that.

Last edited by ilya; December 21, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old December 21, 2010, 10:25 PM
Banned
F@H

ps04b, although its not exactly small :)
Old December 21, 2010, 11:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

When I had my gaming rig I had to cut some metal out of the hard-drive bay of my Antec Solo to fit my HD 5870.
Old December 22, 2010, 09:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Maybe a antec three hundred, It's consider a mini tower. From what I've read you can put a 5870 in it, and a 5970 if you take out the HDD cage. I don't know for your cooler, but a NH-U12P SE2 can fit in it (barely but it fit).
Old December 22, 2010, 10:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

i dont know if your coller would fit but im pretty sure the HTPC cases by silverstone and nmedia fit full size cards. They're kind of small if you want something that lays flat. nmedia also has an atx htpc case that stands
Old December 22, 2010, 12:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I can definatly vouch for the Antec 300. Ive fit both 5870 and GTX 480 into one of them. In fact my current antec 300 has my sig system with a watercooling loop in it. Albeit I did get pretty extreme with the dremel to do it lol.
Old December 22, 2010, 12:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the tips guys. I thought about the silverstone HTPC cases, but I'm a little worried about their heat and exhaust (I worked on one of their sugo cases and it's awful for removing heat), but I'll still take a look at them.

The antec is a good idea too, I might just go that route or use a lian li and get creative with tin snips and the dremel. Might even TIG weld a handle on :D
Old December 22, 2010, 01:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. I thought about the silverstone HTPC cases, but I'm a little worried about their heat and exhaust (I worked on one of their sugo cases and it's awful for removing heat), but I'll still take a look at them.

The antec is a good idea too, I might just go that route or use a lian li and get creative with tin snips and the dremel. Might even TIG weld a handle on :D

the problem with SS is all their small ATX htpc cases only support 80mm fans. Nmedia's cases support 120mm's and have alot of ventilation so i would assume they cool much better(considering getting the 2000 myself)
haven't owned either cases though so i couldn't tell you for sure. Zalamn also has some decent htpc cases that use 120mm's though theyy're a bit more in the lian li price catagory
Old December 24, 2010, 06:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

just a heads up if your intersted, the nmedia 3000b htpc case(stands up right) is half price right now 43.99 at the ncix early boxing day sale. Its Quite small for an atx that fits full size, a cheap option

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.