Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2010, 10:16 AM
Banned

Default Such a thing as a good cheap case?!?

Cases are agonizing! Unless it's a brand new build, I don't want to spend much on a case. I currently have an Antec Solo that is annoying me. It's a pain to clean out and get at things... unless you have small fingers and can get at all the cracks and crevices, it's a pain to deal with. For me, anyway. I was wondering if there's any good cases that are cheap. I know I'm being a cheapskate but how do you justify spending big money on a case (when you already have one!) for an older system (LGA 775 P35 system)? I don't think you can. Well, I can't. I already have some MORE components to get, too, so this is an unexpected expense if I choose to upgrade the case.

I bought an Antec 300 a while ago for another build, a cheapie P45 system, I have to finish and it just needs a processor. I also want to get a storage drive! :-/

I am wondering what is out there now and whether another Antec 300 would be sufficient. But, I haven't built the P45 computer yet so I don't even know whether I'll like the 300!

Any recommendations or advice? I hate mid-towers now! I hate that full towers are usually heavy and a pain if you need to ever move them but they are so much easier to work with, right?!? I doubt there's any full towers that are in the $50 range, though (that aren't total crap).

The other problem I have is that the insides of the current system is a mess (I won't win no neat prizes) but what is worse is that the two intake (9mm) fans aren't working. I have tried different things like moving cables around and plugging in different power connectors but nothing. I doubt they're defective but I haven't confirmed nothing yet. If I got a new case, I would want one with 120mm fans min. since I I already have some and most likely, the case should be bigger. Most of all, I want ROOM/SPACE. Also, is there any such thing as cases that make it easier to access the front?!? The last three I had I didn't like the front design and I don't like 'doors' or obstacles to access! Why can't someone make a case in which it's easy to access all areas?!? I guess I need to spend $200 for that or something?!? :(

Not sure what to do but I didn't plan for this expense. I'm wondering if there is a $50-ish case that would solve the problem or make it easier to work on the computer. I doubt there is a 'free' solution but hopefully there is something relatively cheap. These aren't gaming machines so I don't want to spend big money on a case. Also, I must be more picky or something because the current cases I have are becoming more irritating (Antec Solo and Thermaltake *forget the model*... it's black). Both have swing doors and it's really cramped in there. I want to avoid that. I tried hiding cables and thought I did a decent job (didn't spend much time on it, though) but alas, it's NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

H-E-L-P?!?
Old November 19, 2010, 10:41 AM
Rookie

I just picked up the HAF 922 for $90 Cnd. This case is wide, so lots of room to space things out,
and the cabling is easy enough to stuff behind the board and still close both sides.
Old November 19, 2010, 11:24 AM
Banned

That case looks good. More than I wanted to spend for an older computer, though. Maybe I should use the Antec 300 case for the current computer and save up for the CM HAF 922 for my build-in-progress.
Old November 19, 2010, 11:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

NZXT does make some half decent cases for this on the cheap, as does Coolermaster.

I've used both the M59 (NZXT, $60) and CM310 ($39.99 on sale) with good success. It takes just a little work to find a home for all the cables but those have always been my top choices for cheap case manufacturers.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 19, 2010, 11:45 AM
MVP

Silverstone Precision PS04B

As discussed here:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...case-35-a.html

$36.43 (!) here:

Buy Silverstone Technology [PS04B] Silverstone Precision PS04B ATX Black Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS

I have no experience with it, but it appears outstanding for the price.
Old November 19, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

i woud pick this silverstone case... i mean very soon... you know christmas time...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old November 19, 2010, 12:10 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

HAF 912 or Antec 300 (I prefer the 912)

No questions asked. Best $50 spent on a budget case hands down.

The Silverstone is nice, but to thin and plastic for my tastes.
Old November 19, 2010, 12:17 PM
Banned
F@H

ive used all the above, and prefer the 922 in its price bracket, and the ps04 as well. the latter is probably better suited when looks are more important than cooling, which the cm 430 at same dollar figure does better
Old November 19, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

inside of that haf 912 is still plain... i just like finished inside of the case...

cm 430 looks not too bad... but cant beat price of silverstone case with one fan tho...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old November 19, 2010, 12:53 PM
Banned

A lot of choices, now! :D How is the cabling and cooling in those cases? How does it compare to the Antec 300? I thought the Antec 300 is a good deal as it's usually around $50 so at least I can count on that. The only concern I read about is the cabling, however. But, anything will be better than the current cases I have now.

I also like that the Antec 300 has a lot of fans but nothing crazy. Should be able to get good cooling in that. The HAF 912 is smaller than the 922, right? I haven't built my 2nd desktop yet so my plan is to move parts to the Antec 300. But, I'll want a case for the 'new' build which only requires a cpu (parts required that I know of). I might not even like the Antec 300 or I might want to try a different case with all the new ones coming out.

The funniest part is I will have two unused cases! LOL! Is there any possibility of selling these? I guess they're not worth much with the cheap cases just suggested to me! lol! However, I thought maybe $20 and no taxes... haha... any chance in h3ll?!? :D I suppose demand for cases is low... but, what do you guys do when you upgrade or switch cases? Stick a spare build in there? Give it to a friend or????