Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2010, 10:20 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Coolermaster scout wiring...

Okay. Let me start by saying a) HELLO! and b) this is my first, from-the-ground-up-system-build(not old parts or upgrades, we're talking new stuff in a box).

I've been looking around for some info on the wiring for the COOLER MASTER SCOUT case. There are NO INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW THE WIRING WORKS WITH THE "APOLOGY" OF AN INSTRUCTION MANUAL that came with the case. Similarly, there are next to no concrete resources online that verify the info I'm looking for. My mobo, an ASUS M4A88TD-M, doesn't have very many sys fan headers(1!), so I figure I'll be plugging in the fans via molex connectors into the PSU. I may have it figured out....

There are 3 fans, and the front panel has an eSATA port. There are 4 molex connectors in the case, 3 with 2-pin male connections, and one with all 4 pins PLUS a female 4pin molex attached to it. Here's my theory:

The 3 2-pin male molex cables are for the case fans, and the final 4-pin male is the eSATA in the front panel. Obviously, all of the front panel wires(IDE light, reset, power led, etc) will be plugged into the appropriate connectors on the mobo. My PSU is a Coolermaster 600 silent modular, and there are plenty of connection cables and outputs to do the job(with room for more).

I know I'm just using common sense, but this FEELS right. Any varification will be appreciated!

bazza

Last edited by bazza_1964; November 9, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old November 9, 2010, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Page 10/16 you have a pretyt clear explaination of it. If you still don't know just ask. Maybe add a picture to be sure of what you are talking;) Welcome on the forum and GL!
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/uplo..._Languages.pdf

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 9, 2010, 01:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you wait until I get home, I'll look in my wife's case and confirm it but IIRC, there's a molex connection to the LED switch which controls the lights in the fans, and separate molex connections for the fans. The ESata should be powered through the sata cable connection to the mobo.
Old November 9, 2010, 01:59 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Talking

Thanks for the responses guys! It sounds like I should just go ahead and hook them all up to the psu(maybe into two separate rails). But yeah, I'll wait for further info re:sugarj and his wife's case.

Thanks again!

bazza

ps: the "build" will be on Friday, after I get paid and pick up the video card, RAM, and OS. Have everything else standing by...

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4 Ghz
Asus M4A88TD-M mobo
Coolermaster Scout Case
Coolermaster 600w silent Pro M
WD Caviar Black 500gb SATA HDD
Asus Sata DVD Burner

Last edited by bazza_1964; November 9, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old November 9, 2010, 04:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
If you wait until I get home, I'll look in my wife's case and confirm it but IIRC, there's a molex connection to the LED switch which controls the lights in the fans, and separate molex connections for the fans. The ESata should be powered through the sata cable connection to the mobo.
I know there is a Molex and twin 2 pin connectors for the LEDs, which makes seperate connections for the fans as I've removed all stock fans from my CM Scout.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 9, 2010, 07:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

OK, there's 2 molex connections with yellow and black wires only. Those power your LED front and back fans. There's a molex passthrough with a red and black wire, although the red wire is tied into the yellow wire of the molex. This powers your top fan. And there's a molex with 2 each of red and black wires tied into it. This provides the power to your switched LED's in your fans.

ESATA cable should be connected to a special ESATA connection on your mobo to get hot swap capability.
Old November 9, 2010, 09:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Quote:
OK, there's 2 molex connections with yellow and black wires only. Those power your LED front and back fans. There's a molex passthrough with a red and black wire, although the red wire is tied into the yellow wire of the molex. This powers your top fan. And there's a molex with 2 each of red and black wires tied into it. This provides the power to your switched LED's in your fans.

ESATA cable should be connected to a special ESATA connection on your mobo to get hot swap capability.
Thanks for the update Sugarj! There doesn't seem to be a "special esata connection" on my mobo, just sata's 1-6, although, 5 and 6 might be the likely candidates....I'll try that. But it looks like if I run the molex cables from the psu to the molex connectors in the case, that will power everything up(case wise). From what I've read, I can probably plug the esata cable into any sata port. Just don't know if I should configure it for IDE or AHCI mode....I guess I'll find out! lol

Thanks again,

bazza(3 days 'til build)
Old November 9, 2010, 10:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've never played around with ESATA, but I believe you need AHCI enabled to be able to hot-swap drives.
Old November 10, 2010, 10:52 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
I've never played around with ESATA, but I believe you need AHCI enabled to be able to hot-swap drives.

Copy that Houston!
Old November 12, 2010, 12:00 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Update: EVERYTHING WORKS!!!!

Thanks guys!

bazza, a very happy man(currently re-downloading ARMA II)

Tags
fans scout wiring molex