Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2010, 02:27 PM
Rookie

Default Silverstone Fortress with new fans - available in Canada?

(Long-time lurker, first time poster)

Looking for helping finding a Canadian seller with these in stock.

I'm looking to get a Silverstone Fortress FT02 (with or without the side window) that comes equipped with the newer Air Penetrator fans.

These fans came standard on the special edition case --which I would buy if it were still in stock anywhere, it's a beautiful case. These fans are supposed to be making their way onto the standard FT02, I need help pointing me to a retailer that has them in stock.

A thread on NCIX (my preferred retailer) about these fans seems to indicate that their stock still has the old fans, so I'm looking for other options.

Suggestions?
Old November 3, 2010, 03:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to the forums

In all honesty I don't think getting it from any e-tailer is going to promise the new fans. Are they worth it? Possibly. I've yet to get my hands on them personally but the technology is sound.

I would honestly suggest you get yourself the case you want, and just order the fans seperately.
Thats probably your best bet.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 3, 2010, 03:37 PM
MVP
F@H

I had a similar query about the RV02. I even mailed Silverstone and they kept moving the date on when the "new" version will come out. Apparently it's now "end of November" for the RV02 Some users report that Amazon (US) sells them with AP181's, but the shipping is ~$100.00 USD, essentially doubling the price.

I'm guessing this might apply to the FT02 as well.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old November 3, 2010, 04:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Welcome to the forums
Ty ty

Quote:
I would honestly suggest you get yourself the case you want, and just order the fans seperately.
Thats probably your best bet.

ST

I would, but there are two problems with that.

#1 See this thread : "the wires that connect from the fan controller to the fans go under a sticker on the fan, and from a quick look last time, appear to soldered on." - I don't want to mess with that if I can't easily swap the case fans.

#2. That would bump the cost up by $100. This case is now going as low as $227 with free shipping (@bestdirect), why increase the cost by almost 50% for something that can be had stock at the same price?

I have no problem waiting on this until the old stock is out and the new stock is in. Ideally, someone has bought one recently and received the new fans, and can tell me where they got it. :)

Last edited by Kufu; November 3, 2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old November 3, 2010, 04:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kufu View Post
Ty ty

I would, but there are two problems with that.

#1 See this thread : "the wires that connect from the fan controller to the fans go under a sticker on the fan, and from a quick look last time, appear to soldered on." - I don't want to mess with that if I can't easily swap the case fans.

#2. That would bump the cost up by $100. This case is now going as low as $227 with free shipping (@bestdirect), why increase the cost by almost 50% for something that can be had stock at the same price?

I have no problem waiting on this until the old stock is out and the new stock is in. Ideally, someone has bought one recently and received the new fans, and can tell me where they got it. :)
Yeah thats normally how you connect wires to a Fan, is via soldering them on. But they should be easily removable from the controller, all my case that had integrated Controllers were plug in. It would be extremely foolish to make the current fans permenent in the case.

I can appriciate the cost factor, though like I said you wont' know getting from an Etailer as they will just grab whatever and send it. So even if someone got new stock, you could still get old.

Perhaps going to something like a local Store where you could inspect the case before you buy it?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 3, 2010, 04:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:

I can appriciate the cost factor, though like I said you wont' know getting from an Etailer as they will just grab whatever and send it. So even if someone got new stock, you could still get old.

Perhaps going to something like a local Store where you could inspect the case before you buy it?

ST
Hmm, wish that were an option. I live in rural Nova Scotia, it would take me hours to reach a "local" computer shop that amounted to anything more than Walmart or Staples.

For anyone else interested in these fans, here's a nice review done at Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Silverstone AP181 Fan Reivew - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

They replaced their stock FN-181s with the AP-181s on a 4Ghz OC air-cooled system.

Some excerpts at an ambient temperature of 29C (I'm just providing the deltas):

CPU Idle
Low Fan Speed Delta: 1.75 C
High Fan Speed Delta: 0.50 C

CPU Load
Low Speed Delta: 3.25 C
High Speed Delta: 2.75 C

GPU Idle
Low Speed Delta: 3 C
High Speed Delta: 1 C

GPU Load

Low Speed Delta: 9 C
High Speed Delta:
7 C

These are some pretty dramatic differences with nothing but the case fans being changed.
Old November 13, 2010, 08:22 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kufu View Post
#2. That would bump the cost up by $100. This case is now going as low as $227 with free shipping (@bestdirect), why increase the cost by almost 50% for something that can be had stock at the same price

sorry i'm not sure if i got you wrong, it would costs you extra 100$ to get those fans? are the shipping costs for those fans to nova scotia that significant?

because i just bought two of those fans for my raven case, and they were a little louder at 1300rpm for my taste (im just being nit picky since i want an absolute stealthy case). but i can't return them now to ncix, since its only exchangeable. if you're interested i can pm you and we can work something out.
Old November 16, 2010, 06:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

FYI it only costs $50 for two AP-181's if you get them price matched. A 3rd is not needed as your cpu and gpu will be completely covered by two of them. I agree it's still better if you can get the case with them included but if you can afford this case then you can likely afford the extra 50 bucks.
Coolermaster Cosmos II \\ Intel i5 2500K@4.8ghz \\ Gigabyte PA67 UD7\\ MSI Twin Frozr GTX 680 SLI \\Corsair Vengeance 8GB LP \\ Seasonic Platinum 1000W \\ X-Fi Titanium HD \\ OCZ Vertez 3 120GB \\ RAID 0 Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA6G 64MB \\ Samsung 27" 3D LED Monitor \\ Logitech G5 \\ Logitech G-15 Keyboard \\ Logitech Z-5500 \\ Sennheiser 595 \\ Windows 7 x64
Old January 5, 2011, 10:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

To anyone possibly still curious about FT02's in Canada coming with the AP181s, I picked up a FT02B-W from NCIX today (Markham warehouse) from the new stock they received and it has the AP181s. It should be a solid bet at this point that they are coming with them.

The stock Canada Computers has in the Toronto area are unfortunately all old ones still. V1.3 or 1.4 windowed.

For reference and taken from the Silverstone website:

Quote:
Which versions of FT02/RV02 have Air Penetrator AP181?
RV02B-W v1.7 and after
FT02B v1.4 and after
FT02S v1.4 and after
FT02B-W v1.7 and after
The box (at least of the FT02) will also have a blurb mentioning "Three 180mm Air Penetrator fans"

Old January 5, 2011, 11:05 AM
MVP

I bought an FT02 from Memory Express a few months ago, came with the normal fans. Whatever, temps are still awesome and I will pick up the AP fans should any of my stock ones die.