Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2010, 02:11 AM
Rookie

Default PC Case Waxing

Has anyone ever waxed their PC case and if so are there any special procedures or precaution that should be known?

I have a stock Antec Solo which has a glossy paint finish. I was thinking of just using car wax to protect the finish.
Old September 20, 2010, 05:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

think automotive wax's. most computer cases are not paint with the greatest paint so.
Old September 23, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Why would anyone want to wax thier computer case? I don't think wax is going to give much protection from scratches. If anything,the wax coating will scratch a lot easier and show even more little nicks etc.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old September 24, 2010, 10:23 AM
Top Prospect

Look for clear coat for guitars
Old October 5, 2010, 12:26 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Well I was reading some case mod painting guides in which they wax their case to protect the newly painted finish and to bring out the shine so I though this might work. I might try it in a small unnoticeable area.
Old December 1, 2010, 11:26 PM
Rookie

Well here's my update. I waxed the bottom of my case and it did add a smooth finish to it but like a black car it has swirl marks or very light scratches. It is only noticeable when shined with a bright flash light so I left the rest of the case alone.

I didn't really look into detail about the clear coat for guitars but it looks like just as much work as repainting the case.
Old December 1, 2010, 11:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz View Post
Well here's my update. I waxed the bottom of my case and it did add a smooth finish to it but like a black car it has swirl marks or very light scratches. It is only noticeable when shined with a bright flash light so I left the rest of the case alone.

I didn't really look into detail about the clear coat for guitars but it looks like just as much work as repainting the case.
Did you use sheeps wool pad to do the final buff?
Cut polish before the wax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 9, 2010, 12:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Did you use sheeps wool pad to do the final buff?
Cut polish before the wax?
I just cleaned case and then applied wax with micro fiber cloth.
Old December 9, 2010, 12:46 PM
Top Prospect

I always hated the shiny color of cases. I was thinking of SANDING my phantom so it has that matte look. The case is jsut still there how could it get damaged? Why do you need to wax it?
Old December 10, 2010, 01:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhrrcollector View Post
I always hated the shiny color of cases. I was thinking of SANDING my phantom so it has that matte look. The case is jsut still there how could it get damaged? Why do you need to wax it?
I find when painting the inside of a case matte works wonders better, I dont go for flashy lighting so the matte and even semi gloss works tones better for absorbing light rather than giving glare.

The more gloss the more fingerprints and dust magnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton