Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2010, 11:49 AM
Rookie

Default New case or can I solve this nicely?

I have the Antec 900 case, and I've run into a problem: My 2nd video card is pointing directly at my PSU, so the fans are blowing hot air at each other. The GPU fan doesn't blow the air outside of the case, so temperatures are far too high (about 70-75C on idle). Wondering if there is a nice solution to this that doesn't involve replacing the GPU cooler? Otherwise I may get a case where the PSU is at the top (and wouldn't mind recommendations for that).
Old September 14, 2010, 12:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you have the tools, you can cut a vent hole in the bottom of the case and flip your PSU. Or you can get a new case. A lot of the newer model cases have a vent hole under the PSU mount, like the Coolermaster 690 II. http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=49...e=COOLERMASTER
Old September 14, 2010, 12:19 PM
Rookie

I don't have the tools for that, but that Cooler Master looks really nice. I'm actually kind of surprised that there are cases with grills underneath, I would have thought it wouldn't offer good airflow. Looks like that case has better cable management than mine and also the rotated harddrive bays are something I've been wanting to have. Free up some space between the videocards and the harddrives.
Old September 14, 2010, 01:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Most new aftermarket PSU's come with a 120/140mm fan for venting, so a lot of case manufacturers have started to accommodate venting the PSU heat outside the case.

And I've done a couple of builds in that exact case, it's very nice to work in, which is why I suggested it.
Old September 14, 2010, 01:24 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Antec cases are horrible in that regard. They refuse to put bottom intake vents so you have to mount your PSU with the fan facing up, which they are not meant for. Like SugarJ said, you'll need to cut a hole in the case, or you'll have to buy one with a vent. The 690 II is a good choice, but most of Coolermaster's better budget cases also have that feature (Centurion 590, 690, HAF 912, HAF 922, Storm Scout, etc.) along with cases from other manufacturers like Lancool (Lian-Li's budget division).
Old September 14, 2010, 01:45 PM
Rookie

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions :) I think I'm going to go for the 690 II, looked at all the suggestions and I like the design on this one the most, plus it is on the cheap for 69.99 at Newegg.ca. Thanks again!
Old September 14, 2010, 02:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicko View Post
I have the Antec 900 case, and I've run into a problem: My 2nd video card is pointing directly at my PSU, so the fans are blowing hot air at each other.
ummm, the fans are blowing hot air at each other? Doesn't the PSU suck air in, and then exhaust it outside the case? Doesn't the GPU fan suck air in and cool the GPU/heatsink?

If anything, the PSU would suck the hot air from the GPU HSF, out of the case, wouldn't it? When i had my antec 900, i had the same setup, obviously. But, the temps were awesome.

Are you running all the Antec tri-cool fans it came with? Those are pretty good for the case's airflow already. Are you running stock CPU HSF?

I had a CM Hyper 212+, and it really helped move the air around. With the 200mm fan on top and (assuming) PSU sucking air out, you should have enough exhaust. The two intakes in the front should be enough also, so i'm not sure why your temps are so high.

What is the room temp? Need more info. Let us know.
Old September 14, 2010, 03:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Not all PSU's exhaust air outside the case, and certainly not all GPU's do either. I will agree that the 900 usually has decent airflow (I had one), but with the PSU blowing hot air at his 2nd GPU, I think his choice of a new case is actually a pretty good idea. The 690 II has just as good airflow IMHO if you populate all the intake fans, and it's way better for cable management, and the interior is finished nicely too.
Old September 14, 2010, 04:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8erppl View Post
ummm, the fans are blowing hot air at each other? Doesn't the PSU suck air in, and then exhaust it outside the case? Doesn't the GPU fan suck air in and cool the GPU/heatsink?

If anything, the PSU would suck the hot air from the GPU HSF, out of the case, wouldn't it?
The PSU would suck the cool air away from the GPU fan before it has a chance to be blown through the GPU heatsink. That is detrimental to the GPU cooling system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Not all PSU's exhaust air outside the case
Yes, all PSUs do exhaust air outside the case, obviously excluding passive units.
Old September 14, 2010, 05:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The PSU would suck the cool air away from the GPU fan before it has a chance to be blown through the GPU heatsink. That is detrimental to the GPU cooling system.
i guess that's what the side-panel intake is for...or maybe the middle-fan...or maybe just pump-up the front intake fan?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugerJ
it's way better for cable management, and the interior is finished nicely too.
if you're talking about aesthetics and such, then yeah, there are many options out there...but if we're talking about a quick fix, maybe all wicko needs is an intake fan on the side-panel?...i dunno, just throwin options out there...