Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2010, 02:47 PM
Rookie

Question Finding the right case...

... is proving to be a massive pain. Not sure if I simply expect too much, if so I need to figure out what I am willing to give up. To better explain... This is my current setup:

The books are not there because I'm messy. :p They're there because they prop my mouse so that my wrist does not get tired since my case is not tall. My room is very small so I do not exactly have space for another table for my mouse. This computer was designed to play WoW. My next PC is being designed to play Final Fantasy XIV and what I'm putting in it is a lot more demanding. I need a case / cooling in general that will be up to the challenge of making sure my parts do not get damaged.

Here is what I would like from a case:

What do I *NEED* from a case?

-- It must fit the large video card(s) that I am putting in here (5850 / 5870)
-- It must provide enough cooling for the parts I am choosing; this is a gaming rig
-- The top should be flat as I tend to use that to rest my mouse on.
-- I need USB ports, mic and headphones at the front of the case, ideally at the top.
-- I need a power button that will be easy for me to find but that I won't accidentally hit
-- I am either putting an SSD in now or will be in the future; I want a case that supports this.
-- I have heard that having the power supply be at the bottom is "better".

What would be "NICE" from a case?

-- Black interior; becomes more important if you can see in, not so vital if you can't.
-- Tempted to make this my first case with LED fans; would prefer the ability to turn on/off.
-- I am hoping to get a tower that will have a bit more height since I do use it to hold my mouse.
-- Fans that have filters seem to be a good thing from what I have read.

I'm not sure if I need to consider a different way to set up my computer or whether I have overlooked a case that might fit my needs. I am planning to buy my PC from Canada Computers. Any suggestions would be most welcome. :) Thanks for your time!
Old August 16, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Azza Helios 910 or the Solano 1000

Legend:
~ maybe
V Check
X Not possible.
Quote:
What do I *NEED* from a case?

~ It must fit the large video card(s) that I am putting in here (5850 / 5870)
V It must provide enough cooling for the parts I am choosing; this is a gaming rig
V The top should be flat as I tend to use that to rest my mouse on.
V I need USB ports, mic and headphones at the front of the case, ideally at the top.
V I need a power button that will be easy for me to find but that I won't accidentally hit
~ I am either putting an SSD in now or will be in the future; I want a case that supports this.
V I have heard that having the power supply be at the bottom is "better".

What would be "NICE" from a case?

V Black interior; becomes more important if you can see in, not so vital if you can't.
V Tempted to make this my first case with LED fans; would prefer the ability to turn on/off.
V I am hoping to get a tower that will have a bit more height since I do use it to hold my mouse.
V Fans that have filters seem to be a good thing from what I have read.

-Plato
Old August 16, 2010, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Cases and Cooling

It sounds to me like your wishlist is describing the HAF X. It has good air flow, filters, flat top, a sliding cover for the power switch and has the psu on the bottom.
It has a black interior, 2 hot swappable hard drive bays in the front with an adapter for a SSD drive as well.
Check it out and you'll be surprised just how many of the items you listed as need and want are there. It's also huge inside.
Old August 16, 2010, 04:00 PM

Fractal Design Define R3? I don't know if it's tall enough for ya though.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old August 16, 2010, 06:18 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
It sounds to me like your wishlist is describing the HAF X.
Good Call, provided you like the design of the HAF-X, though it is only flat over the fans and you don't really want to cover the exhaust points. Only the back top fan comes stock though, so you could use the middle.

Other options may include

CM HAF 932 Black Edition - though again your mouse would be covering the large top fan.

Lancool K-62, you would need have a solid mousepad on top though as it has grooves.

Fractal R3 is an idea, but would likely be to short.

Lian-Li is going to have a lot of stuff that would suit you, they don't usually have top fans either.
Something like the Lian Li PC-A70F may suit you.
Old August 17, 2010, 01:47 PM
Top Prospect

I am going to totally sound like a shill here, but hey, if you plan on going with SSD's, OCZ has 3.5 inch SSD's now, so no worries about case fitment.

OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 3.5" SSD OCZ Technology

The Vertex2 and Agility2 series 2.5inch drives come with the 3.5 inch adapters... but they don't work for my Lian LI PC-33. Screw holes don't fit the thumb screws that comes with the case >_<

Last edited by Bao; August 17, 2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old August 17, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCZbao View Post
I am going to totally sound like a shill here, but hey, if you plan on going with SSD's, OCZ has 3.5 inch SSD's now, so no worries about case fitment.

OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 3.5" SSD OCZ Technology

The Vertex2 and Agility2 series 2.5inch drives come with the 3.5 inch adapters... but they don't work for my Lian LI PC-33. Screw holes don't fit the thumb screws that comes with the case >_<
I always wondered why companies didn't do this before/from the start. Just because SSD's CAN take up less physical space, doesn't mean they should, especially when it requires a completely different type of mounting than what has been built into cases for oh... the past 15+ years.

OCZ also produces a very nice, non flimsy drive bay adapter
Old August 18, 2010, 04:11 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

HAF-X fan here, if you like the looks the case is excellent

Another Guy From Canada
Old August 18, 2010, 07:43 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
I always wondered why companies didn't do this before/from the start. Just because SSD's CAN take up less physical space, doesn't mean they should, especially when it requires a completely different type of mounting than what has been built into cases for oh... the past 15+ years.

OCZ also produces a very nice, non flimsy drive bay adapter

On the plus side, the 3.5 inch SSD's are cheaper as well. So if they are going into a full bore gaming machine, then that's another benefit.

--

I personally went with a 2.5, I figure I'll upgrade to a Revo PCIE SSD card/drive later, and this Vertex2 will be a great upgrade for a new laptop, even a year or so from now.