Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2007, 03:13 AM
Rookie

Default Lian Li PC-C32; Enough cooling/airflow?

After seeing the Lian Li Pc C32 in silver. My jaw dropped. After picking up my jaw off the desk, and cleaning up the puddle of drool, I knew that I must build my new system in one of these.

**Proposed system Specs:***

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 (can't remember specifics, it's the lowest quad core anyways)
RAM: 4Gb 6400 of some sort
Board: Gigabyte board of some sort, just a standard ATX
VGA: Gigabyte 8800GTS 320Mb
HDD: 2x80Gb SATAII drives in raid 0 (striped) array for OS and Apps, 1x 320Gb drive for storage

You get the idea. Just a nice mid range system, although I'm splurigng a bit on the RAM, for future-proofing, when I upgrade to Vista.

Now, looking at the PC-C32, it has two 120mm fans, with the only intake being the slats on the sides, up near the front. Is this enough for a Quad Core Rig? Regardless, I will be chucking those two noisy fans out, and installing 3x Silent Eagle 120mm's. The problem is that danged small intake.

Any options for improving the intake?

Since I won't be using the lower 5.25in bay, I figured that I would install a silver mesh panel, and attach a "duct" of some sort from the 5.25 slot, to the first fan, which would then pass into the CPU cooler (a Silverstone NT-02). The other two fans would just draw air in from the sides as per usual to cool the MoBo and GPU. Workable? Or am I just a dreamer?

Any ideas you guys can provide would be awesome.

(Or, I could do something really drastic, and reverse the airflow of those 2-3- fans, and use the optional 140mm fan to draw air in from the back, and use the 120mm's as exhaust fans. Again, workable?)

_Nate

P.S. I'm a native Canuck, having been born in Newmarket, Ontario, but am currently living, in Melbourne, Australia. I have been lurking here for the past couple months, reading reviews and what-not. This place seems like a great community, full of useful stuff. Also the mascot is da bomb.
Old November 30, 2007, 05:12 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

A visitor from the Land of Oz! Welcome!

I believe that Lian Li is one of the best case manufacturers out there, and alongside Silverstone, one with the best airflow designs. I personally own a PC-V1000 and love it.

With the PC-C32, you should be just fine with those 2 120mm fans pushing air over the motherboard. But I would probably add the optional 140mm fan as an exhaust.

John
Old November 30, 2007, 07:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Remember...there is always a Dremel! LOL
Old October 3, 2008, 11:19 AM
Top Prospect

Lian li makes very quality cases as stated above but personally I would only get one if your going to watercool your components. Becasue there airflow isnt all that great. I have a lian li amoursuit pc-p80 and the fans a 140mm but there only pushing mabey max 30-40 cfm.