Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2010, 12:24 PM
Rookie

Default Some advice on a few upgrades

Hi everyone - I'm new around these forums.

I built my first rig (The first one I have built - have obviously had many pre-builts before) last year. It's been a year and it seems I have money itching to be burned. I figure why not do some upgrades to one of the things I spend the most time on, my PC!

Here is what it currently consist of-

-eVGA x58 E758 MB
-Antec 1200 Case
-Antec 850W PSU
-eVGA GTX 275 x2 in SLI
-2x 500gb HDD in a RAID0
-1x 1TB HDD
-1x 120gb OCZ Agility SSD
-i7 920 OC'd to 4,2GHz
-6gb Corsair Dominators
-Thermalright IFX-14 CPU Cooler

Hrmm... I think that's about it.

The things I was considering upgrading were my case (I'm bored with the gaudiness of my 1200...), moving from 2x GTX 275's (which actually at this point I am only utilizing one since I put the other into another machine a little while ago) up to 2x eVGA 460 SC's, a new PSU (I think this would be a good decision since the PSU currently is the model that is made for Antec's cases and would prove to need modding for another type of case from the research I have done), possibly moving to the H50 cooler or doing a watercooling loop for the CPU and MB if I don't choose to upgrade the CPU in which I considered going up the ladder in the CPU department to the 980x but that's alot of $ and not sure I will be doing that and seems hard to justify... There again, it's all hard to justify :P

I've been looking alot @ Lian Li cases and I sincerely like the subtleness of them. They seem to be really efficient cases. My concern in many cases of there products is there does not seem like alot of airflow through them. IE: a limited number of fans - Whereas this Antec 1200 has enough fans that it could probably fly off my desk if the case didn't weigh so freakin' much, haha..

I'm curious on your inputs on nice, subtle, yet efficient aluminum Lian Li cases. Someone suggested this mid tower

Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-P50WB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

The more I looked at that I see it won't work though... Only room for 3 HDD's in this case. I wondered how well all of my equipment would bode in a mid tower due to since the day I have built it, it has been in this full tower 1200. What are your opinions on a mid size for the components I listed? I then started looking at this case but the lack of fans concerned me greatly.

Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-A77B Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Again, Im concerned about the lack of airflow. I thought about NOT upgrading the CPU and maybe trying my hand at a watercooling loop for the CPU and MB, as I mentioned previously. I'm hesitant on that likely due to such small experience in the PC building world, with virtually none in the watercooling sector.

Anyways, I know I probably typed a novel for my first post here but hopefully I can get some good advice here. It will all be greatly appreciated everyone.

Thanks!
Old August 2, 2010, 02:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have the AMD dragon version of the p50, its very nice and i love it. Airflow is pretty decent, don't expect some crazy HAF932 airflow but it will keep it nice and cool. I suggest replacing some of the fans for more quieter ones, im kinda nit picky with sound. Looking at your equipment, you might want a bigger lian li case. I've had no experience with bigger ones so I'll let others comment on those. Good luck on your purchase!
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old August 2, 2010, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You plan on selling your 1200 and 850w? Gonna be tough finding a buyer to buy those together. Someone on this forum tried and pretty sure had no luck.
Old August 2, 2010, 06:38 PM
Rookie

Idk - I may give it a whirl but if I don't get a buyer it's not a big deal to me really.

I could use the case/psu to put a build together for my son for christmas or something.