Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2010, 01:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Antec 1200

Hi,

I'm planning on watercooling my computer. I have an antec 1200 and I want it all to be internal. I'm thinking 3x120 rad at the top and a 2x120 where the rear fans are. I'm not as much of a fan of the 1200 as I was when I bought it so I'd like to do some mods to make it look less garish and more classy. I know some people have mounted the triple rad in the front but I have 4 hard drives and I don't know where else I'd put them. my PSU isn't modular either so any ideas on how to hide all the cords would be great! if I can I'll upload a pic of what it looks like now.

I think to fit the triple rad at the top I'll have to pretty well re-do the top, has anyone done this or seen it done?

thanks!
Old July 13, 2010, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

I remember when I did mine, I put a quad-radiator on the back (externally) and a double in the front. You know, a double would fit in your front still, and you would have room for your HDDs still :thumbsup: Whatever you do, do not buy the Antec 1200 raditor... It junk.

As for classy, I do not know what classy is to you. To me, classy is minimalistic and subtle colors (like black and white). I don't use cold cathodes, or like them, as I personally think they look and provide cheap lighting.

Just my 2c :)
Old July 13, 2010, 09:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm thinking less blue lights, and a more streamlined look. as well as some better cable management. I'm thinking some way I can mount the hard drives the opposite way so the cables are hidden closer to the fans. I remember seeing a thread somewhere where someone did that but I can't remember where. I wouldn't mind maybe some kinda black light for the inside, that can be turned off independently of the computer itself. I'm also going to need a fan controller I think, there'll be at least 5 fans for the rads. I'd also like it if it was a quieter than the wind tunnel it sounds like now.
Old July 14, 2010, 04:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Swap the fans in the front for ones w/o LEDs. I was in a similar situation with this case, but in the end the amount of money in fans I was going to put in, I just jumped up to a new case instead.

Worked out cause I didn't like having to remove both sides to clean air filters as well, and cable management was a bit easier with the newer cases.

as for cable management within the antec 1200, what I did was to make sure my hdd's weren't right ontop of each other, and then used the space in beteween to tuck in SATA and power cables as needed. I left the bottom cage open to tuck in the power supply cables, and just use the back side of the tray as much as possible. But my old enermax galaxy did cause it to buldge if i wasn't careful about bundling wires up properly.
Old July 15, 2010, 09:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've got 4 hard drives atm. 3 in a raid 5 array and 1 as a boot drive. my PSU is a PC power and cooling turbo cool 1KW so it's bigger than a normal PSU (and unfortunately has no 8 pin PCIE power connectors, unfortunate for me with a GTX 280). the hard drives don't fit in the same area as my video card because it's too long with the sata cords coming out their back, maybe they'd fit if they were mounted backwards. it kinda makes space tight and there is a horde of cables at the bottom, they don't all fit in the bottom fan area without hitting the fan, maybe if I try doing it a bit neater they might but when I tried earlier I couldn't get it.

I'm thinking to mount my 120x2 rad where the rear exhaust fans are. I know it's not ideal since it'll be passing hot air through the rad, I think I'd like to figure out a way to mount a triple in the top. it depends if I want to wc my video card too. I have a block for it but it's not a full cover block and I don't have any memory heat sinks or anything. also if I do go for a top mount I'm not sure if i'd want 120mm fans exclusively or try and keep the big top fan for quieter cooling. I was thinking maybe fab something up so the top is all mesh with 3 120mm fans but keep the angled side pattern groove parts and build it so that pattern continues to the back of the case instead of being broken by the top fan if that makes any sense.
Old July 16, 2010, 05:51 PM
MVP

i know from personal experience that a dual rad will fit in the top inside the case, but i seriously doubt a triple can fit since it will hit the drive bay cage. I dont think the width of the rad will fit inside the cage. I guess you could cut it, but dam... thinking that would be alot of work.
Attached Images

i2600k sandy bridge @ 3.4ghz/ 2x 8800 GTX KO ACS3 PCI-E 630MHZ 768MB 2.0GHZ SLI'd / Raptor 74GB / Antec 1200 Hundred Gaming Case / G.Skill Ripjaws ddr3 1600 cl 8-8-8-24 - 8gigs / evga z68 SLI MOBO / Samsung DVD+RW / Corsair ax850 PSU / 24" Samsung CinkMaster

Cooling:
Swiftech Dual rad
Swiftech Single rad
Swiftech Micro Res
Swiftech Apogee GT Cpu block
Feser One Red Fluid
Old July 17, 2010, 09:29 AM
MVP

My System Specs

IMO the 1200 is over-rated. I would get something else like a HAF 932 or a Corsair 800D which is on sale at NCIX right now if you are going the water cooling route.
Old July 23, 2010, 12:39 PM
Top Prospect

I have mine in a 1200. Chose it mainly for $, and found it to be an easy setup. Im running Res/pump/2xVGAblocks/first rad 240 rad in the front (take off the HDD bays, and mount the fans in case with rad behind it) then to CPU block/to second rad 240 (mount same as frosty's setup below) then back to Res. its worked flawlessly for a while, and low temps in a warm room. Ill try to get some pics for you soon. Id like to upgrade the case later, but until i have a stash of $ lying around, im fine with my 1200.
Win 7 64 bit / Antec 1200 / E8400 EK Supreme LT / Xfx 780i SLI / Mushkin 6Gb EM2-6400 - Corsair 3 Fan Cooler / Corsair HX 1000W / 2xSeagate Sata II - Raid 0 / 1xSeagate Sata II - Storage and backup / 2xEVGA GTX285 1Gb- SLI Ek blocks / 2x240 Swiftech Rad, Full Push-Pull / MCP355 w/ Petra Top / Micro Res / Danger Den Fillport Blue / Matrox Digital TH2G / 3xSamsung 226BW's