Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2010, 07:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Case suggestions for a unique set up

Alright, most of you will remember my two prior cases for my ionitx system, the Sega Genesis mod ( Sega Genesis Mod ) which eventually failed due to limited tools and the fact it was a VERY tight squeeze and the Lego Case V1 ( Lego HTPC Case V.1 ) which will be massive for my plans for this system.

What i'd like to do: use my ionitx system as a htpc, file server, and emulator system.

What i want to 'hide' in one case:
1 2.5" HDD (os hdd)
2 3.5" HDDs (storage hdds)
1 ionitx board
I would like to keep this as small as possible, do not need more bay slots as listed since the ionitx only has 3 sata connections.

What i dont want:
Front plates
A case that has a psu or a slot for one as i have an external power brick

Optional stuff:

To be able to hide some console control to usb adapters inside the case.

To give you an idea something similar to this:
NCIX.com - Buy Nmedia HTPC-5000B Desktop Media Centre Case mATX Black 1X5.25 4X3.5INT Card Reader No PS - HTPC-5000B In Canada.

Though this fails point number 3 of what i dont want
Old June 25, 2010, 08:39 AM
MVP

This is an excellent choice & will give you the option of adding additional hard drives if that ever becomes necessary. Quality is the usual high Lian Li standard.

NCIX.com - Buy Lian Li PC-Q08B Black Aluminum ITX Cube SFF Case 1X5.25 6X3.5INT USB3.0 Audio No PS - PC-Q08B In Canada.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old June 25, 2010, 08:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Unfortunately that runs into my issues of having the front plate for that 5.25" in the front and a whole in the back where the psu wont be as i have an external power brick.
Old June 25, 2010, 09:48 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

For the PSU hole in the back. There are two easy ways to "fix" this. Easiest is drop a dead PSU into the hole! Another way is to get some "modders mesh" and fill it with mesh. Use the screw holes for the PSU mounts to attach the mesh if you dont want to tack weld it in place. :)

For the front...not much you can do unless you go for either a pico case (which probably wont have room for 3 drives internally) or go for a case with a slim dvd drive bay in the front. Wont be as big a blanking pannel.

Personally Id get a SS Sugo S2 or Grandia 5 case and pick up some modders mesh for the PSU hole.

Modders Mesh
NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Grandia GD05B Black HTPC mATX Desktop Case 1X5.25 2X3.5INT 1X2.5INT 3X120MM Fan No PS - GD05B In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F Black SFF mATX Case 2X5.25 2X3.5INT No PS - SG02B-F In Canada.

with a preference for the grandia as it uses 120mm fans :)

YMMV but thats the route I would go.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 25, 2010, 10:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

My problem with the psu slot is the fact that internally it is a bunch of wasted space.

The only 'alternative' i can think for that is to potentially mount the console to usb adapters in the 5.25" bay to make it look like its actually being used for something
Old June 25, 2010, 10:20 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
My problem with the psu slot is the fact that internally it is a bunch of wasted space.
You can mount a small fan in the PSU slot as an exhaust, and maybe use the space to put a drive or two in?
Fold for team #54196
Old June 25, 2010, 11:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well i think i'm slowly narrowing in on something
NCIX.com - Buy Nmedia HTPC 1080P mATX Case Supports MINI-ITX 1X5.25 3X3.5INT SDHC Reader 2X80MM Fan No PSU Black - HTPC-1080P In Canada.
That at least hides the 5.25 and 2.5" bays behind a flip panel though i would have to use the modder mesh over the psu slot. This is closer to what im looking for at least
Old June 25, 2010, 11:55 PM
MVP

If you just want a case how about mod like a slim dvd player case. Gut it fill the drive slot and display area with epoxy and paint, put stand-offs in floor to mount MB and mount drives. Check out pawn shops or 2nd hand Wallymart. Have some fun and get something different.
Old June 26, 2010, 06:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoracer View Post
If you just want a case how about mod like a slim dvd player case. Gut it fill the drive slot and display area with epoxy and paint, put stand-offs in floor to mount MB and mount drives. Check out pawn shops or 2nd hand Wallymart. Have some fun and get something different.
Or a VCR if more space is needed? Maybe even the original XBOX?

Of course, could just get some wood and make it however you want. I don't think you'll find a pre-made case that meets all your requirements.
Old June 26, 2010, 07:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

take a look at this man DD Tower - 12 Black Series - Danger Den

Looks like it suits your needs and has great cooling capabilities