Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2010, 04:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Any good cheaper mATX + PSU combos?

Looking to get a smaller case for a mATX build that doesn't need much power. Trying to keep the cost as low as possible, while still being decent. PSU doesn't have to be anything huge, just need to power a 7600GT and an E5300.

I have a case and PSU that I might use, but I doubt the PSUs quality, and the case isn't very good either. If I can find something cheap enough I'll replace those.

Thanks.
Old June 24, 2010, 05:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The only problem I ever find with those combos is the quality of the PSU in them is doubtful at times. And that is something you would probably not want to risk.

I think the Coolermaster has some mid-towers that come with their line of PSU , and while not being perfect it might suit your needs.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 24, 2010, 09:21 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah it seems any of the combos with a halfway decent PSU included are going into the $160+ range.

I might just do something like this:
NCIX.com - Buy Cooler Master Elite 335 Black ATX Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 1X3.25 6X3.25INT Front USB Audio No PSU - RC-335-KKN1 In Canada. $42.96
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400CX 400W ATX 12V 30A Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - CMPSU-400CX In Canada. $29.99 with MIR

Total: $72.97

Around the price point I was looking for.
Old June 24, 2010, 09:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That is probably your best bet right there.
I'd go for it in your situation.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 24, 2010, 10:36 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Antec has some combos that include good PSUs. Other than that, everything at the low end is garbage, including everything Coolermaster has to offer. Grabbing a cheap case and decent PSU individually like the selection you linked above would be a good choice, but I suggest you take a look at Antec's offerings as well and see if they have any better deals at the moment.
Old June 24, 2010, 11:25 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah I saw Antecs offerings but they were getting away from how much I'm willing to spend. I've seen the Sonata III go on sale for a pretty good price, but can't find any sales on it right now.