Old May 24, 2010, 09:27 AM
Top Prospect

Default Fans and Water Cooling

So a quick bit on what I have.

Thermaltake Armor care - Older one
Asus maximus extreme motherboard
ati 4870 vid card
Q9450 @ 3.4
Koolance exos 2 water cooling - cpu only with added reservoir on back of case.

Ok, so here's what I've been thinking of doing. I'm thinking of w/c my motherboard also since it comes setup for it. Also considering w/c my 4870 since it's the loudest fan in the case, even at 35% fan speed. Will that work with the exos 2? As in can it handle it. How should the loop go? I currently run 3/8 ID and 1/2 OD tubing.

I'd also like to replace a bunch of fans in my case. I currently have
Vantec Stealth SF12025L for exhaust on the back
Thermaltake TT-9025A for exhaust on the back behind hard drives
2 x Thermaltake TT-1225 on the front grill for intake
2 x Koolance RDH1225B in the exos 2

The TT-9025A is starting to make noise so that one needs to be done. And I'd for sure like to stick something in the exos2 that can push alot of air since I can just turn it down with the exos controls. Perhaps even add fans if I can for a push and pull setup.
As for the other fans are the decent enough? Worth changing? I'd like to keep blue leds in the front grill fans.

And is the little fan on the motherboard a good idea to have on there? It died on me and I'm not sure if I should get a replacement or not. I think it has to come direct from asus.

I was looking at the Scythe slip stream (Kaze-Jyuni) 120mm - Ultra high flow for the exos2. Are they any good?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Why not just make a new custom loop? Might be a bit more expensive but well worth it.
Old May 24, 2010, 05:44 PM
Top Prospect

Was thinking of that also, but kind of want to just stick with the koolance exos 2 and add the motherboard and possibly the card. Mostly to keep costs down. I'm not having any issues other than a pretty warm NB which I can probably bring the volts down a bit.
Old May 24, 2010, 06:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Honestly, it'll handle it, but you'll definitely find overall temperatures to be higher than what you have right now. The pump in the Exos-2 is pretty lackluster, and the "700W" that Koolance quotes is with the water at an almost embarrassingly high temperature. For a basic test, I'd try running the fans at a little less than half of what you normally do, and see what temps you get. That should (very roughly) give you an idea of the kind of temps you'll see once you add a GPU and chipset into the mix.

If the fans aren't giving you trouble, I wouldn't bother replacing them. And I wouldn't be using the Slipstreams on the Exos-2, which are a little weak as far as noise/performance on radiators, as well as having sleeve bearings, which can run into issues when running horizontally. The S-Flex or Gentle Typhoons would be a better choice, if you think those fans need replacing. Although my own experience with Koolance fans suggests that they're actually not too bad, so there may not be as much room for improvement as you're hoping for..
Old May 24, 2010, 06:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Im pretty sure that the Exos is also aluminum, and that the radiator is... That is not a good combo right there. Do a custom loop. It is so much fun, and really isnt that hard.

Quote:
Aluminum Chassis & Heat Exchanger, Acrylic Faceplate, Acrylic Reservoir
- Koolance's site
Old May 24, 2010, 07:01 PM
Top Prospect

I'm mostly interested in the chipset since it's running fairly hot right now. GPU I can leave since I've dealt with the fan noise for a while already. Water temp on the exos is usually right around 32 or so. I'll try and run it at less than half speed and see what happens. I've always had the fans set on the 9 setting out of 10 and it isn't really that loud. Would making the fans push instead of pull through the rad make a difference?
Old May 24, 2010, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, the Exos uses an aluminum radiator, which pretty much restricts you to Koolance waterblocks, unless you're absolutely certain that another brand has anti-corrosion plating on the internals (the vast majority don't).

Push versus pull on the fans shouldn't make any meaningful difference, in the single-digit percentages, for sure. The GPU would make the biggest difference, so if you skip it, I can't imagine you seeing much change from the just the chipset.
Old May 24, 2010, 07:48 PM
Top Prospect

But the chipset will run cooler right? It'll be very easy for me to add the chipset. Just have to cut the hose and run it through the motherboard setup. I assume I should have it run through the cpu first right?
Old May 24, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well, depends on what the chipset is doing now. But 9/10 times, even if the water is warmer than ideal, you'll still come out with a cooler chipset after it goes on water.

And yeah, CPU should come first, unless it happens to involve some really weird tube routing to make it happen.
Old May 24, 2010, 08:39 PM
Top Prospect

That sounds pretty good then. My NB runs around 60 idle right now and close to 70 when pushed harder. I'll plan on running the water through the chipset and wait with the gpu for now. So far running my exos on setting 3 instead of 9 is still only 39 degrees water temp. That's not too bad.