Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2010, 11:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Good case for portable mATX build

Hey Everyone,

One of the guys at my work wants a new PC that he can bring between the field and home on a regular basis. He doesn't want to go with a laptop but still wants it to be portable. We have monitors at the field office and he's got some at home too, so I was thinking of a mATX build. Any recommendations for a good, light mATX case, slim or mini, maybe with a handle?

Price isn't much of an issue (barring spending like $400 which would be silly for a work case). Airflow would be nice too, though I'm well aware that can be pushing it with an mATX case. Something like the APEX TX-381 Newegg.com - APEX TX- 381 Black Steel MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX12V 300W Power Supply might work, preferably without a crappy PSU included though :D

Any help would be really appreciated. I'm thinking of going the HTPC case route if all else fails, since he might want to hook it up to his living room tv for blurays on occasion.

Last edited by FreeKnight; April 29, 2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old April 29, 2010, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Would a LAN party case be inappropriate? There are a few that are pretty durable with good airflow:
Apevia Qpack- the cheaper one, heard bad things about the included PSUs though, some have a front collapsible handle
Thermaltake Lanbox- there's a version of this with a nice sturdy handle on top, which is something I think your co-worker will want, good airflow, but a bit on the expensive side although under $200 with no PSU
NZXT Vulcan- I'm not sure if this is released yet, but if you can find it, it should be pretty good for your purposes, doesn't come with a PSU, but has pretty much all the features you would want in a LAN box, which should serve your purpose fairly well.
Old April 29, 2010, 01:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The Lanbox is a great idea. Thanks!
I'm also looking at the Silverstone Sugo SG04.
NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Sugo SG04B-BH Black SFF mATX Case 1X5.25 1X3.5 2X3.5INT No PS W/ Front USB 1394 Audio - SG04B-FH In Canada.
anyone have any experience with it. I really like the quality of Silverstone cases, don't know as much about Thermaltake, but they seem pretty good from what I've read.
Old April 29, 2010, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you can fit your hardware in it, go for the Sugo 4.
Do note, its really small and cramped to work in and there's no almost no clearance between a stock cpu cooler and the PSU.
Old April 29, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Take a look

Lian Li NCIX.com - Buy LIAN-LI PC-C32B Black Aluminum ATX Desktop Case 2X5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5INT No PS USB Firewire Audio - PC-C32B In Canada.

Can take full ATX 7 slots

Good air flow
Old April 29, 2010, 05:37 PM
shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
If you can fit your hardware in it, go for the Sugo 4.
Do note, its really small and cramped to work in and there's no almost no clearance between a stock cpu cooler and the PSU.
Built an i5 rig for a customer of mine using the Sugo 4, with a Corsair H50 inside. Tight fit, but managed to install a Vertex SSD, a 1 Tb Black and a DVD burner. Nice little rig for someone on the go. I did use the Silverstone PSU with shorter cables.
Old April 29, 2010, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is a nice little case as well.

NCIX.com - Buy AeroCool M-40 Black mATX Cube Case 2X5.25 1X3.5 2X3.5INT No PS LCD Display Front USB & Sound - M40-BK In Canada.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old April 30, 2010, 11:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

take a look at DA BOX Da Box 100: Ultimate Micro ATX gamer case

mATX, super portable, and fits full length GPU's and tower style heatsinks
Old May 8, 2010, 12:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The Apevia Qpack is actually quite easy to work with for a small case. Never did like the Sugo's ;/
Old November 8, 2010, 06:45 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

You should have a fine time with basically any case i currently have the thermalright lanbox windowed and i have 2x 480s 2 kingston ssd 128gb 2tb wd and a dvd burner
i would certainly recommend this case