Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2010, 11:25 AM
MVP
F@H

Default Bottom mounted psu and carpet

I'm thinking of getting a new case, with a bottom mounted psu, my one concern is that my room has carpeting everywhere. Has anyone ever run into problems with having a bottom mounted sucking air in from the carpet?
Old April 26, 2010, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nope. Just blow it out with a can of compressed gas every once in a while.
Old April 26, 2010, 12:23 PM

My System Specs

What case are we referring to here? There is no way I would have my PSU on my FT01BW facing down until I put wheels on it so it has more clearance.
Old April 26, 2010, 12:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah it all really depends on the Case, I second lowfat's suggestion.

I wouldn't be doing it for any of the 3 cases I have with bottom mounted PSU's. There is just not enough clearance.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 26, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Some bottom-mounts still have their fans facing upwards, so it may not be an issue. But yeah, if it is pulling from the very bottom, you definitely want it to have some under-clearance before you drop in carpet.
Old April 26, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I always try and keep cases off carpet anyways; due to static electricity. Generally it's not an issue but if you can get some wheels or rubber risers to lift it 2-3 inches up that would make a big different; maybe make sure you have a fan filter on the bottom.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 26, 2010, 02:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Another alternative would be to put your case on top of a sheet of wood, plastic, or really sturdy cardboard. The legs should give enough clearance for good air flow into the PSU while keeping the dust down.
Old April 26, 2010, 05:13 PM
Rookie

technically, most psu's are exhausting through the fan therefore blowing air on your carpet with the intake being either at the back or inside your computer. That's how mine works anyway. But yeah, clean it once in a while like everything else in your house ;)
Old April 26, 2010, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Flip the PSU so that the fan draws air from the case.

-Plato
Old April 26, 2010, 09:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiacid View Post
technically, most psu's are exhausting through the fan therefore blowing air on your carpet with the intake being either at the back or inside your computer. That's how mine works anyway. But yeah, clean it once in a while like everything else in your house ;)

What PSU are you using that does that?! Unless you got one with the Fan reversed.

Every PSU I've ever Owned the Fan is the Intake and back is the Exaust.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com