Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22, 2010, 07:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default looking to quiet down my antec 900 case

hey guys, as the title states I want to lower the noise output of my case..right now it sounds like an air handling unit for an apartment building.

I was looking to replace the 2x front intake fans and rear exhaust fan (all of them stock antec tricools) with Noctua NF-P12 fans.

Also, I want to remove the drive bays and mount my hard drives in reverse (to hide wires) using some kind of vibration absorbing hardware (is there a kit for this? or will I have to scrounge materials and do it myself)

Lastly, I want a fan controller..i hear the Lamptron FC5 is a solid controller, but I am open to suggestions.

I am not 100% sold on my fan choice, so feel free to suggest something else! Also, any other recommendations to help quiet down my antec 900 are welcome!
Old April 22, 2010, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It all depends on how much you want to spend, and what your "silent" threshold is.

This site has a few really good articles on how you can make your PC quieter: silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers
I personally find their reference/recommended list to be small and outdated though.

Where do you have your case, on your desk, on the floor, or somewhere else?
Antec 900 is one of the harder cases to silence due to all the ventilation holes, if you don't mind spending a decent bit, it should be possible to make it fairly quiet, but the cost could end up being the same as or more than a new case that won't be as noisy.
Personally if it seems like you're gonna be spending more than $100-$150 I would just get a new case.
Fractal's are in at NCIX

But in your case I would assume your case fans would be the starting point of the silencing.

As for fan recommendations, the Noctua P12's aren't bad, pricey, but not bad. The other 120mm Noctua's should be avoided unless it will be used in a near open air situation. Gelid's are very nice if you're on a budget. Yate Loons and Nexus fans are typically well regarded, but I personally hate them due to the ticking buzz they sometimes make.

To break it down on price points:
Cheap $4 (on sale): Yate Loon-they undervolt well, come cheap, but are sleeve bearing and can buzz, although almost inaudible
Budget $6-$8: Gelid silent-very nice fans, but they lack a little in the static pressure department, use high quality custom sleeve bearings
$11-$19: Nexus real silent-not bad, lack static pressure, can buzz a little, though almost inaudible, use sleeve bearings
A little expensive $15-$20: Noctua p12-very high quality bearings, very good fan geometry, pretty decent static pressure, seems inaudible to most people
Pricey ($25-$30) and near impossible to find: Noiseblocker-the best silent fans ever IMHO, no vibrations to to silicone corners, high quality bearings, excellent geometry
Sanyo Denki-very expensive, extremely high performance, requires a good fan controller, have been used in Seasonic PSU's and on stock CPU HSFs

I would personally recommend against SilenX fans, mostly because I just don't like the fact that they make up their own specs for their fans, although all companies stretch the truth there.

I haven't mentioned any Scythe fans simply because I'm completely biased against Sony who makes their bearings.

There are a lot more out there, and I have only tried the ones listed here (and a few others not worth mentioning) and most of this is based on my personal opinion. On a side note I just ordered some Fractal fans from NCIX to try out, waiting on them now.
Wow I rambled.

Maybe I'll ramble more after I get an idea of how quiet you wanna make your PC.
Old April 22, 2010, 11:55 AM
MVP

My System Specs

i realize that the antec 900 wont be the easiest case to silence, and I don't intend on doing much to it beyond getting new fans (I'm tired of the LEDs anyways)...i figure if i invest in some quality fans (and I have heard nothing but good things about the Noctuna's), then they will last me for quite some time and I can use them in future builds as well.

I don't plan on installing sound masking materials or anything..i just want some decent, quiet fans and a fan controller :)

I am going to pick this pack up I think:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...9528&CatId=802
(~100$ seems a little steep for 3 fans, but you pay for quality I suppose)
Old April 22, 2010, 12:20 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Order from NCIX and they are only 19.99 each
plus you could try and PM them
save you some cash dude.

I have these ones and they are great at moving air silently NCIX.com - Buy Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 600-1200RPM 49.2-100.6M3/H 6.2-18.1DBA Molex - NF-S12B-FLX In Canada.

or the ones you want @ 19.99: NCIX.com - Buy Noctua NF-P12-1300 120MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 1100-1300RPM 63-92M3/H 12.6-19.8DBA Molex - NF-P12-1300 In Canada.

PS i bought 2 PCI slot fan controllers (they control 3 fans each) from Ebay for $2.50 each from hong kong, free shipping. they worked great. took 4-5 weeks to arrive though
Old April 22, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't buy from Tiger, way way WAY overpriced on most items as of late, due to the American parent company struggling and the higher Canadian dollar.

But having just said that, I just check NCIX stock and it seems they're almost out of stock ><.
NCIX.com - Buy Noctua NF-P12-1300 120MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 1100-1300RPM 63-92M3/H 12.6-19.8DBA Molex - NF-P12-1300 In Canada.
It goes on sale for $15-$17 once in a while when they come back in stock though, plus no PST.

I still wouldn't buy from Tiger if you need them soon, at that price point you can get Noisblockers or San Aces which are superior to Noctua's. Or you can get a whole new case like the Fractal which comes with sound deadening material and quiet fans.

If you're sold on Noctua's and want them now, try Newegg.
Newegg.ca - Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm CPU Cooler and Case Fan

But it seems to me that you just want quiet quality fans and don't mind a mild premium, so I guess Noctua's would be a fairly good choice. As for the fan controller, the Noctua's come with adapters with resistors on them to lower the RPM, so you probably won't be needing one unless you need to turn up the fans to keep temp's under control every so often. (which I doubt with your case)

However, if you do find the price hard to swallow, (which it doesn't seem you do) there are better budget solutions. (Gelid, Yate, Zalman, maybe Scythe)
Old April 22, 2010, 02:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

damn thanks a lot guys...I had no idea tigerdirect had taken a turn for the worse!

my question still stands about the drive bays and HDD mounting.
Old April 22, 2010, 02:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

mount the Hardrives using thin bungee cord like this :

Hard Drive Silencing: Sandwiches & Suspensions | silentpcreview.com

If you can. this method takes all vibration away, i cant even hear mine, aside from a seek here and there:

Look at my Antec 300 thread, i have pics of silencing/damping/noctua fans etc:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...rformance.html

Warning there are alot of pictures there.
Old April 23, 2010, 09:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

These are also good fans: NCIX.com - Buy Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120MM Cooling Fan 1200RPM 20.1DBA 49.0CFM FDB - SFF21E In Canada.

And cheaper too.
Old April 23, 2010, 10:54 PM
Rookie
F@H

I heard those Yate Loons are good and quiet for the low price, but if you got money to blow get some Noctua fans as people said earlier. It definitely made a difference in my friend's antec 900 case when he bought a bunch of Noctua fans.
Old April 23, 2010, 10:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you find that your hard drives are still making too much vibrational noise in your case, there isn't much you can do. Most tool-less drive mounting systems do a little for vibration absorption, albeit not much. A steel case or a high quality aluminum case will reduce vibrational noise as well.

You can suspend your HDD, like CoolHandL mentioned, but that poses a few problems depending on what kind of suspension method you used. Check out silentpcreview for more on that.

You can also try tweaking your AAM settings, but do note that your performance may take a small hit. I have my AAM set at 128 for my Caviar Black and it does wonders for the noise level. Read/writes didn't take much of a hit, but access times took a small hit.

There are a lot of anti vibration kits for hard drives, most are just poorly implemented and you're better off suspending your drive in your case. Or you could get quieter drives.