Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2010, 10:20 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default CM 690 II or Lancool PC-K62

Hi,
I am new to the forums, but have been looking at the site for a couple of weeks. I have read the threads on both cases and I am stuck trying to decide between these two cases. I am currently using an Antec 900 and I hate it.

I am looking for some advice on which way to go. It sounds like a lot of people got the lancool, what do you like about it, what do you dislike about it? What about the 690? I have heard about a reboot issue, something about the front pannel/walking by it causing it to reboot?

It looks like the 690 would stay much cooler than the K62. Any thoughts on that?

I am looking at getting a new video card soon. Not sure what, 5870/5850 or maybe a GTX470. So a big card fitting into the case is a must. I am pretty sure that I would be ok with any of these cases.

I was also thinking about the cm storm sniper. I am just not that crazy about the looks.

Any thoughts/advice is appreciated. Any other cases I should look at?
Thanks for you time.
Cy
Old April 8, 2010, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like both cases. The K62 to me, looks better, and has a great build quality and feel to it. While the CM690 II is the jack of all trades, and a breeze to work in. However the looks are not for everyone.

If you want serious performance, the CM690 II is definitely a contender. However I would buy a K62 for a fine build PC that's quiet and decent looking.

Other choices you could make, is the ATCS 840. It's 100$ more than either cases, but it's definitely worth it

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old April 8, 2010, 11:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I bought a new case recently and those are the two options I was considering. Whichever one you choose, I think you'll be getting a great case.

I ended up choosing the CM 690 II Advanced. I have not experienced the reboot issue you mentioned. I like the case overall, but I have encountered two downsides. First, the dust filter for the PSU intake on the bottom is a bit coarse, it looks like it could let some dust in. Second, there isn't a lot of space behind the motherboard tray for cable routing. For users with a modular PSU I doubt this would be an issue, for those like me with a non-modular PSU fitting all the cables back there and still having room to put the side panel back on is difficult.

But as I said I like the case overall, and I think all the good points far outshine those two downsides. The reviews cover the strengths very well so I don't think I need to list all of them again, but the main points I like are the SATA dock on the top and all the space for extra fans so that non-liquid-cooling users can keep their temps down.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I picked Lancool PC-K62 because of the rubber paddings and removable PSU filter, in CM 690 II you have to remove PSU in order to clean the filter. Also CM 690 II looks like a suitcase a bit.
Old April 9, 2010, 12:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Lancool is a good case but I think the Coolermaster has it beat for cable routing. Step up to a Coolermaster 922 and you will beat both of those cases. It is roomier and great for cable routing. Runs cool too.
Old April 9, 2010, 05:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you plan to use water cooling go for the Coolermaster and most people will recognize it. On air, try the lancool for different expression.

And your gonna need to work on your cable management skills if you do get the K62, its just a more attractive case.
Old April 9, 2010, 07:42 AM
Rookie

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago as well, but decided to go with the Lancool, and happy that I did. One thing to keep in mind, there isn't enough room for one of the larger GPU's like the 5970 if you decide to go that route.
Old April 9, 2010, 09:15 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies!
I have looked at the HAF 922, no dust filters though. I bet that is like my Antec 900?
I will most definatly have to work on my cable management skills. My 900 is a disaster inside there. Non-modular psu, I hate that case so much!
The 5970 is just to much money for me to spend on a video card. So I don't have to worry about that. The 5870 is more in the price range I want to stay in. And I think that card will fit into the K62.
How is the cooling in the K62? I have no intensions of using water to cool, so that is not an issue.
Thanks again,
Cy
Old April 9, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

cooling on my k62 in great ,love the case best case fro 100$ imho.
Old April 9, 2010, 10:43 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Is the K62 the best choice?
Newegg.com - LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

I found the PC-7FN for less money.
Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-7FN Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Any thoughts? Any better aluminum case choices or better to stick with steel?